Jana injured | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jana injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean, achilles injures are typically over use injuries and easily preventable, unlike most ACL/knee injuries. I don't actually think this would have happened if she hadn't been playing in a tournament where there are 9 games in 11 days and with a training staff that is likely doing achilles prevention exercises everyday, i.e at UConn.
Achilles tendon injuries have nothing to do with overuse. And every other kid in the tournament played the same number of games and there were no other serious injuries. A little research helps.

Achilles tendon rupture - Symptoms and causes

Reaction Score
I am utterly speechless. The injuries are tough physically, but they're draining emotionally for fans, I can't imagine what the players and coaches go through. This is the 3rd straight year we've suffered a catastrophic injury. Jana, to me, was a sure fire starter, and future NPOY candidate. This is simply devastating and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we never see play a minute at UCONN.

Not to be a jherk here, but why even play her in the 11th vs 12th game? Why is there a 11th vs 12th game? In a tournament with a schedule that compact, why on earth are we playing games and risking injury to players that have been completely over used in such a short period of time? There is ZERO reason for this.

Reaction Score
Does anyone predict she will be out for the season? Or will she play?
I doubt she will play this season. We're basically at the same time of year where Ice and Paige got hurt. I guess this means we'll only see Jana play a max of three years unless she applies for a sixth year since this is technically her second season at UConn?

Reaction Score
I doubt she will play this season. We're basically at the same time of year where Ice and Paige got hurt. I guess this means we'll only see Jana play a max of three years unless she applies for a sixth year since this is technically her second season at UConn?
Ice got hurt in October.

Reaction Score

It is not her second season at UCONN. Since she didn't play one second, she is freshman with 4 years of eligibility. I believe you have received wrong info about Ice. She did not injured herself in USA basketball. It was UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
It is not her second season at UCONN. Since she didn't play one second, she is freshman with 4 years of eligibility. I believe you have received wrong info about Ice. She did not injured herself in USA basketball. It was UCONN basketball.
Was Jana not on scholarship last season?

Reaction Score
I am utterly speechless. The injuries are tough physically, but they're draining emotionally for fans, I can't imagine what the players and coaches go through. This is the 3rd straight year we've suffered a catastrophic injury. Jana, to me, was a sure fire starter, and future NPOY candidate. This is simply devastating and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we never see play a minute at UCONN.

Not to be a jherk here, but why even play her in the 11th vs 12th game? Why is there a 11th vs 12th game? In a tournament with a schedule that compact, why on earth are we playing games and risking injury to players that have been completely over used in such a short period of time? There is ZERO reason for this.
The other 191 players didn't have a problem with it. There were no other serious injuries in the whole tournament.

Reaction Score

She may well have been but since she didn't play a second of college basketball, she has 4 years of eligibility. Players for ND and SC, enrolled early like she did, but did play. So they only have 3 years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Overuse being the cause was your point. The Mayo Clinic does not support it.
From your link: "Achilles tendon injuries commonly occur after an abrupt increase in training intensity. Increase the distance, duration and frequency of your training by no more than 10 percent weekly."

That and the fact that she is a teenager that just suffered an injury most common in 30-40 year olds I think shows how very avoidable this injury was and more support for why I hate fiba tournamnets.

Reaction Score
She may well have been but since she didn't play a second of college basketball, she has 4 years of eligibility. Players for ND and SC, enrolled early like she did, but did play. So they only have 3 years of eligibility.
AFAIK players get five years to play four seasons assuming the Covid eligibility rules are no longer in effect. If she was on scholarship last season how does that not count as one of the five years?

Reaction Score
Yes she was and it does count as one of the 5. She has 5 years to play 4. And she could petition for a 6th year to replace this coming season if she doesn't play, same as Griffin could if she chose to compensate for missing the 21-22 season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Curious whether UConn’s orthopedic surgeons will do the surgery or whether they’ll go to NY to HSS and O’Malley who did Stewie’s and I think Durant’s. The UConn surgeons are excellent btw.

Reaction Score
From your link: "Achilles tendon injuries commonly occur after an abrupt increase in training intensity. Increase the distance, duration and frequency of your training by no more than 10 percent weekly."

That and the fact that she is a teenager that just suffered an injury most common in 30-40 year olds I think shows how very avoidable this injury was and more support for why I hate fiba tournamnets.
El Alfy had been training and playing with UConn for almost 2 months prior to this tournament. There was no abrupt increase.

Reaction Score
El Alfy had been training and playing with UConn for almost 2 months prior to this tournament. There was no abrupt increase.
She hadn't played in a game in months, possible close to a year. And then she played in, what, 9 in 11 days? Thats a huge increase in intensity.

Reaction Score
I know this could have happened anywhere or later, but I just wished for the summer everyone stayed on campus and just went home on their break and played on the tour coming up. Nothing extra with the way the last few years have gone. I know she is heart broken about the upcoming trip.

Reaction Score
Jana having come early to UCONN but never playing in a regular game had 4 full years of eligibility at UCONN!
This injury occurring during a FIBA summer Tournament has no bearing on her NCAA eligibility so when she applies for her hardship year, she'll still retain 4 full years of eligibility!
Her slate is clean according to the NCAA! She has not used ANY of her eligibility
She will have surgery in CT by the UCONN Doctors!
Achilles Tears take over a year to heal and Stewie worked especially hard and made it back to play for Seattle in a year! That was the exception they're usually out more time!!
Watching the video she wasn't touched, she was turning and went down!

Reaction Score
Well with Jana gone this season probably, Ice, Ayanna, and Amari have to step up. I say ice starts with Aaliyah and Ayanna and Amari off the bench. Wonder if Geno will get a big overseas like he did last year when Paige got hurt

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This is terrible news. I feel for Jana. Nobody wants to see these injuries.

Medically she will be in very good hands back here in CT. All we can do is await official word. I do not expect her to play this season.

As to the rest of the"stuff" posted here, unbelievable. Just unbelievable!!!!

Reaction Score
She hadn't played in a game in months, possible close to a year. And then she played in, what, 9 in 11 days? Thats a huge increase in intensity.
The other 191 players in the tournament didn't have a problem with it. She was prepared at least as well by her spring at UConn as any of those other kids.

Reaction Score
Shaking my head. Why are we letting freshman play in competitive, 5 on 5 games before they even start serious practices and conditioning in the Fall?? Same thing happened to Brady last year.

And for those who say the injury would have happened anyway, that's simply not true. The teams medical staff has to know each players background and how much to push their workouts and ease them into full on court activities. This info gets passed onto the coach who helps them manage the players. This is more critical for freshman imo. Putting these players in international events is a huge risk, and we're learning the hard way 2 years in a row...
“We” are not in control of whether these players play in International Tournaments for their country! Being asked/chosen to play on one’s National team is generally considered a great honor especially for those countries with a less, shall we say, jaded view of patriotism and national pride than we currently see in the west. It is, for the most part, (even here in the west )still considered an honor, or at the very least, an opportunity.

I agree that these kids are playing too much at too young an age but unfortunately it is basically an insoluble problem. Players need to play in order to improve, they need to test themselves against other players, and (not least) to gain the attention of coaches who control access to scholarships and (and thereby, NIL money). Finally, with very few exceptions, medical/training staff cannot predict (in any way) future injuries! Sure, if there is a known prior injury, or some congenital condition that they discover in training but other than that, there is simply no way to know!

Sad as it is, I don’t believe there is a solution. I’m praying for the best outcome for Jana but it’s certainly looking like we will not be seeing her on court for awhile. Just devastating news for a player who has already become one of my personal favorites!

Reaction Score
The other 191 players in the tournament didn't have a problem with it. She was prepared at least as well by her spring at UConn as any of those other kids.
You don't seem to get it so I'll drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom