Jana injured | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jana injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Was Jana not on scholarship last season?
I believe the rule is that you have five years to play four seasons. So, Jana used up some of her time, but none of her eligibility.

Does that make sense?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is terrible news. I feel for Jana.
This. She was obviously enjoying the time with the rest of the freshman class and was looking forward to playing. On top of that she was having a great FIBA tournament. It has to be absolutely heartbreaking for her not to be able to play in the near term. I feel for her too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally heartbreaking for Jana!!! Virtual hugs to her and her family! And prayers for a successful surgery and rehab! Let’s not forget she is part of the UCONN family and her health and well-being is more important than any W.

Keep your head up Jana! We’ll see you back on the court before you know it!

“In a world where you can be anything, be KIND”

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas tore her Achilles in overseas play in January and was playing just 9 months later at the end of the Sun's regular season. No expectation for Jana to hit that timeline, however.

AT is a grown woman who is extremely strong and tough as well as tough-minded, not a kid just out of high school. Upon her return AT decribed her experience - "A lot of hard work, a lot of bad days, a lot of good days, but I had great support. It was definitely one of the toughest things I've ever been through."

Good luck Jana.

Reaction Score
Keegan-Michael Key Josh GIF by Apple TV+

Reaction Score
For God’s sake, what does it matter?
I, personally, think its important to recognize how irresponsible some of these Fiba tournaments are so maybe, someday, they will change. This isn't the first player to suffer an overuse injury due to this same tournament.

Reaction Score
This is a bit of a diversion, but was Egypt really beating Italy 19-0 in the 2Q? What happened to Italian WBB. Remember reading an article in Sporting News (or somewhere) just 5 -6 years ago about Italy going through a "Golden Generation" of WBB players. Wonder what the term is for pyrite in Italian. Pyritelli?

Sorry, now back to Jana's injury.
The scoreboard whacked out at 12 to 10. Then Italy’s score dropped the 0.

Reaction Score
Husky Nan, According to the Egyptian Basketball Federation, Jana El Alfy tore her Achilles tendon. She will fly from Spain to the United States for the surgery.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas tore her Achilles in overseas play in January and was playing just 9 months later at the end of the Sun's regular season. No expectation for Jana to hit that timeline, however.

AT is a grown woman who is extremely strong and tough as well as tough-minded, not a kid just out of high school. Upon her return AT decribed her experience - "A lot of hard work, a lot of bad days, a lot of good days, but I had great support. It was definitely one of the toughest things I've ever been through."

Good luck Jana.
The 23-24 season ends in 8 1/2 months. Short of some kind of medical and recovery miracle, I don't see any chance she plays this season.

Reaction Score
It makes sense from the video and where she grabbed and the fact that no one touched her and she just went down. It’s the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it. She is probably done for the season if true and I know this has been brought up before and I kinda was thinking the same thing, but now I’m more on the bandwagon of, we need to look into what kinds of exercises or training is our training staff having these players do or not do, because it’s becoming a little too often to just be a coincidence. It’s at least for me, getting to the point where this needs to be looked into.
As an outsider, I agree. So many injuries for your players. Silcone injections are known to weaken ligaments/tendons and lead to tears later on. Could it be that in her case?

Reaction Score
I doubt she will play this season. We're basically at the same time of year where Ice and Paige got hurt. I guess this means we'll only see Jana play a max of three years unless she applies for a sixth year since this is technically her second season at UConn?
@hoopsfan22, although Jana arrived on campus in the Spring semester this past year, I do believe she will have four years of eligibility left, should she not play in 2023-2024. From the games I saw, I don’t remember her playing in any of them, apart from cheering on her teammates from the bench. And yes, she was an active participant in that area.

Also, although injuries are hard to avoid, it appears that the Huskies’ bad luck of acquiring these continues. However, the good news is that Jana will fly back to the States to be fully taken care of. It’s such a bummer for everyone (her, her parents, coaches and teammates, fans), but she’ll get excellent care. I’m wishing her a successful surgery, and a full recovery. Hang in there Boneyarders, we will get through this together!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Jana is one of many UConn freshmen who got hurt as freshmen or first year players. Few overcame it to play to their potential and some transferred. They missed many practices and fell behind the other players and never caught up. (Courtney, can't remember her last name) was one. However, Jana has spent plenty of time at UConn practices so she should not be hindered as much.

Reaction Score
It makes sense from the video and where she grabbed and the fact that no one touched her and she just went down. It’s the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it. She is probably done for the season if true and I know this has been brought up before and I kinda was thinking the same thing, but now I’m more on the bandwagon of, we need to look into what kinds of exercises or training is our training staff having these players do or not do, because it’s becoming a little too often to just be a coincidence. It’s at least for me, getting to the point where this needs to be looked into.
Some of you folks are just clueless. These injuries aren't the fault of the coaching staff, or the training staff. Stuff happens in life.

Reaction Score
Bad luck, it happens. Hope she can come back strong. Akok took a while, possibly longer than 1 months, to come back.

Reaction Score
I remember Geno a while back said in an interview that players are coming into college already "damaged' because of the sheer amount of time spent playing in high school, AAU tournaments, etc plus they concentrate on only one sport.

Reaction Score
No one mentioned this, but, about 2 seconds before the injury, a defensive player looks like she steps on the left foot of Jana, Jana then pivots and when planting down that same foot, Jana falls down. Could the body moving away during that brief second, have any negative impact on the A. tendon?

Forget about 5 or 5 years eligibility, just pray for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@hoopsfan22, although Jana arrived on campus in the Spring semester this past year, I do believe she will have four years of eligibility left, should she not play in 2023-2024. From the games I saw, I don’t remember her playing in any of them, apart from cheering on her teammates from the bench. And yes, she was an active participant in that area.
You have 5 years of eligibility to play 4 seasons. Once you enroll the clock starts ticking. Last year was her first year and she chose not to play. This year will be her second year in which she is unlikely to play. That leaves just 3 years of eligibility. She can always petition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility to complete her 4 seasons.

Reaction Score
I'm just crushed, I've been mega excited about the prospects of a big, talented, 6'5" ish forward/center like Jana playing for UCONN ever since she first came to campus last fall.

In one of the earlier games in this tournamnet, she rolled off ball underneath amd took a pass and laid it up left handed for the score. All day long I kept playing that back in my head, thinking "That's going to be Paige soon, zipping dimes to Jana underneath like that for bunnies"!

Oh well, we have been down this road before, alas, many times. Jana will heal, she'll play for us eventually, but in the current moment, it hurts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom