Jalen - wheres the urgency | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen - wheres the urgency

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jalen is Jalen, not anyone else. And no one should be holding their breath waiting for him to be anyone else.

Nor should his shortcomings be blamed on his prior coach. He has to own who he is.
Meh. Agree generally, but 'his prior coach' didn't have a history of developing players who played for him most or all of their careers. It's silly to ignore that. Good coaches' players show improvement over 4 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let me get in on this. Jalen is supposed to be our best player but surprisingly he’s never the best player on the floor. Usually some opponent or teammate outplays him. I’m not saying he hasn’t had some really good performances but I think most of us expected him to have games where her completely denominated from start to finish.

I don't want her completely denominated
Or him completely dominated
I want him to dominate. Maybe you guys are sending the wrong message?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put me in the camp of Jalen isn't going to develop in to a leader and is the player who has the most bad habits ingrained in him from the Ollie years.

He still dribbles in to trouble in the half court sets too often, gets way too aggressive with cross court passes in the half court and he tries so hard to avoid contact on drives to the hoop, he avoids getting fouls called on opponents. I'd say his biggest strength this year has been shot selection. He actually does a good job taking most of his shots within the offense and in a strong position to score.

Most people can see he is okay with being okay and hasn't broadened his game since he arrived as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Put me in the camp of Jalen isn't going to develop in to a leader and is the player who has the most bad habits ingrained in him from the Ollie years.

He still dribbles in to trouble in the half court sets too often, gets way too aggressive with cross court passes in the half court and he tries so hard to avoid contact on drives to the hoop, he avoids getting fouls called on opponents. I'd say his biggest strength this year has been shot selection. He actually does a good job taking most of his shots within the offense and in a strong position to score.

Most people can see he is okay with being okay and hasn't broadened his game since he arrived as a freshman.

One thing I always wondered about Jalen is why he hasn't gained 10 - 15 lbs. of muscle since his freshman year. Maybe its just his body type, but most players fill out by senior year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing I always wondered about Jalen is why he hasn't gained 10 - 15 lbs. of muscle since his freshman year. Maybe its just his body type, but most players fill out by senior year.

I'm fine with his overall weight. Parts of his body are very muscular- lower legs especially.

Put me in with the "his conditioning sucks" crowd. He always seems gassed. I only saw the second half last night. From what I've read, he had two early fouls and sat much of the first half. He should have been fully ready to play the second half. I saw a screen shot of him and first thing I said to my wife was it looks like he has the flu or a head cold. His whole face looked drained. And he played lethargically the whole second half.

Reaction Score
Meh. Agree generally, but 'his prior coach' didn't have a history of developing players who played for him most or all of their careers. It's silly to ignore that. Good coaches' players show improvement over 4 years.

Have to say it’s silly to ignore that he was the guards coach as an assistant with a couple good ones who developed into very good players too, Bazz and Boat while he was the HC also. Intelligent basketball players get better no matter.

The “it’s on KO” arguments not valid. 23 year old guard in his 4th year can get out on his own if he wants to.

But for the sake of those who believe I’m Pollyanna I’m not as I have no reason to blame Coach Hurley for his inability to get better either.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why are we comparing Jalen to Shabazz and Kemba and Rudy??

Jalen is what he is and that’s that - he’s a really good college player. Don’t knock him because he isn’t an All-American or a lottery pick. That’s awfully high and unreasonable standards.

He’s gonna have bad games, he’s going to look like he’s having too much fun. It’s who he is. This guy has suffered here his entire career, give him a break.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
After last nights performance by JA and Hurley's postgame comments to the new NY network commentator I think this has now become a question of pride and wills. Hurley is already well on his way to establishing next years team and JA will not be here. He is going to call out JA as he did on tv last night. JA will either get the message and respond or he will get more of the same. Hurley is the coach and his own man. Hoping Jalen responds for his own good and the good of the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The “it’s on KO” arguments not valid.
Neither is "head coaches make no difference in a player's development" Mau. Do you think Jalen would be a better player if he played four years under Jim Calhoun?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I expected him to have a change. Didn't happen, oh well. I'm just not a fan of the disparaging comments.

What do you think of Hurley's postgame comments about JA?

I don't think most people are being disparaging. I think, like Hurley, most people are being critical but fair.

Reaction Score
Why are we comparing Jalen to Shabazz and Kemba and Rudy??

Jalen is what he is and that’s that - he’s a really good college player. Don’t knock him because he isn’t an All-American or a lottery pick. That’s awfully high and unreasonable standards.

He’s gonna have bad games, he’s going to look like he’s having too much fun. It’s who he is. This guy has suffered here his entire career, give him a break.
There aren't high and unreasonable standards for Jalen. He's considered one of the most naturally talented guards we've ever had and outside of shot selection he's somehow worse in his senior year. Hurley said Jalen is unbelievably talented and he wants him being selfish this year, Hurley said he wants him taking 25 shots and taking over games, he expected something like a Jimmer Fredette type of senior year for Jalen and turning himself into an NBA player. It's pretty clear those things haven't happened.

It's not unreasonable for fans to expect more from our 23 year old senior, to pretend he hasn't been disappointing doesn't change the fact that he's been disappointing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Neither is "head coaches make no difference in a player's development" Mau. Do you think Jalen would be a better player if he played four years under Jim Calhoun?
It’s also silly to ignore that his prior coach also suspended him for being a bonehead and it seemed to have little impact, or that some players don’t develop the way we hope they would have for a variety of reasons. Calhoun’s style didn’t work for everyone, and Hurley has said—in reference to Sid iirc—that sometimes the more physically gifted players get lazy and coast for periods, and that those players are frequently not a good match for his style.

I don’t discount the potential impact of good coaching, but at this point I’m not convinced that Jalen is a good match for that same reason, or that he has a strong enough constitution to have survived four years under Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score

Not sure he would’ve stayed 4 years under JC so not sure. He’s not a JC type player quite honestly.

Like I said there’s guards he helped develop and they’re making coin as we speak. Jalen is who he is because of himself.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think playing alongside AG changes things a lot for Adams. As you'll likely remember, he played pretty poorly in the games last season in which Gilbert was present. It's a change in role that he doesn't seem to adjust well to.

Reaction Score
I think playing alongside AG changes things a lot for Adams. As you'll likely remember, he played pretty poorly in the games last season in which Gilbert was present. It's a change in role that he doesn't seem to adjust well to.

Probably some truth to this. May be more a ball dominant guard than we thought. He’s struggling to be an alpha playing off the ball

Reaction Score

Nail on the head, my friend.

Reaction Score
Nail on the head, my friend.

Agree. If you want to get Jalen involved, get him back on the ball. As much as I like AG for the future, Jalen is the more experienced (and probably the better) PG at this moment in time. I'd love to see (never happen) a two-platoon backcourt, with Jalen and AG splitting time at the point and CV and Taryn at the 2. This would open the 3 for Sid. The only time AG and Jalen would be on the floor at the same time would be in the closing minutes of a tight game -- for ball-handling and free throws.

pj

Reaction Score
Jalen loves uconn and is a nice kid. Would love if he used all this criticism over his focus as fuel. Rev up that motor on the court to show smoothcriminal he’s an idiot. Coach Hurley and I have similar styles - push buttons to extract the best. Big things ahead

Coach Hurley and pj have one thing in common -- we hope that @smoothcriminal is shown to be an idiot.

Reaction Score
Jalen is who he is. You just have never seen him take the reins like you have in the past and just lead. Not really just him but a few others. Behavior patterns are hard to break at this point but not totally undoable. I just see a bit of laziness, boneheaded plays and a lack of locked in look and that is not good if you want your guards to be your leaders out there. At this point, can only hope Hurley can maximize what he can out of him and you just move on. AG could be that leader but time will tell as the season goes on.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It’s also silly to ignore that his prior coach also suspended him for being a bonehead and it seemed to have little impact, or that some players don’t develop the way we hope they would have for a variety of reasons. Calhoun’s style didn’t work for everyone, and Hurley has said—in reference to Sid iirc—that sometimes the more physically gifted players get lazy and coast for periods, and that those players are frequently not a good match for his style.

I don’t discount the potential impact of good coaching, but at this point I’m not convinced that Jalen is a good match for that same reason, or that he has a strong enough constitution to have survived four years under Jim Calhoun.
Hey!!

Reaction Score
I think Jalen will step it up and be really good, much more consistent with his scoring and overall play. I think this will happen soon, as conference play begins. Needs to find his rhythm, playing off the ball. Also he is double-teamed often when he has possession. He'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen was a 5 star (#23 on Rivals) who hasn't lived up to that ranking thus far. Maybe the insiders can enlighten us casual fans about the reason(s).

So many maybies. Maybe he wasn't pushed hard enough the last several years or maybe it comes down to his heart isn't in it as much as we all think it should be based on his ranking. Or maybe basketball came so easily to him growing up he assumed he could advance to the NBA just by going along as he always had. If that's the case, it's his choice and he'll have to live with it. There's a lot of talented people that don't achieve what was expected of them.

The feeling I get from reading these posts is a lot of people are frustrated because they want him to be a success for his own sake as well as the effect it would have on the team and that frustration that might wrongfully be interpreted as bitterness towards him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom