Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He just stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense

Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense but shot better then Rip

Very good shooter, but he wasn’t good enough to play in a major conference. He was also a hammerhead.

Found that out at UConn, found that out at Vanderbilt (and then got kicked out) and then found his level at Houston Baptist.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’ve given this question a lot of thought there were obviously huge moves that change the dynamics like DD coming back for his senior year or Hamilton for his junior . They were game changers however there are sometimes small things that come back to bite you .
I understand the eye roll with my suggestion and since no one brought him up I’m suggesting convincing TSam to stick it out as a mentor to Adams would have paid huge dividends.
First of all with the addition of Adams , Sterling Gibbs ,and the maturation of Hamilton ,plus Purvis his shooting woes become less of a factor.
He could command the point and was tough as nails and was a link to both Bazz and Boat. The only thing better than a veteran with a ring is a PG with a ring . Our lack of depth at guard the following year killed that team as JA was abused. Yes he wasn’t “the man “ at PG but could have been a great guy off the bench mentor ,and leader.
Maybe even provide that spark occasionally.

PS Giffey averaged 2+ points his first two years and if he transferred our history would be different so you never know.
I agree. DD was a guarantee to leave being a projected 1st rounder after a championship. Learned that lesson from Stanley Robinson. But Daniel Hamilton was a head scratcher. It would’ve been fun to see him and Adams lead that charge. Especially with the Larrier injury the following year.

Would’ve loved to have kept TS too. He seemed to know how to make winning plays when his number was called. Fell right in line with the Craig Austrie, Patrick Beverly types. That’s part of the reason I’m kind of ticked Diggins didn’t get any time this year for a senior guard like Cole to show him the ropes. That mentorship has been essential for us.

Lastly, Giff was MONEY in 2014. Absolute money. But hey, he had consistent minutes throughout his career. Also had a very defined role. Knew exactly what his job was.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a very sad case because as a freshman when he was inserted at the point the team took of

That 2014 was such a precise puzzle I fear one piece changes and it doesn’t happen.Smith could have hindered not only Giffey’s development but
DD ‘s emergence as a stretch four with that great shooting touch. That team won because of defense but they could put 4 players on the floor who could shoot. Kromah was the 5th best shooter and shot the three at 35% . The other 4 were above or around 40%. Smith changes the chemistry.
I couldn't agree more that UConn probably wouldn't have won in 2014 if anything was different. Not because of anything specific about the team, but just because the NCAA tournament is such a crap shoot anyway, coupled with the fact that UConn was such a long shot. Even if Smith was around and made the team better than they were that season, it's still insanely unlikely they would have won the title.

Reaction Score
That would be helpful wouldn’t it?

As for other transfers Diggins wants to bring in, he is still feeling that process out.
“Right now I have my eyes on one person,” Diggins said. “But learned that I have to focus on myself first and my situation.”
Could be Floyd since at one point they both said they were most looking forward to playing with each other I believe, right? Or at least floyd said that about diggins

Reaction Score
Still not seeing Gaff linked to any school. Would love to have Gaff back. There are backup guard mins to be had. We are going smaller, I hope he reconsiders.
I mean, if Gaffney is OK with only playing backup PG minutes, I'd totally be OK with having him back.

Between Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins and Jackson, it's easy to see a backup PG getting the same (12.8) or less minutes as last year.

Reaction Score
The reality is that because of the extra Covid year, the population of players is high when compared to total playing minutes. There’s going to be a lot of guys even more unhappy than they were at the end of the 2022 Portal Process. Again, too many inexperience advisors out there.

Reaction Score
Where is he considering going? Haven’t seen anything in regards to schools pursuing him

Reaction Score
I mean, if Gaffney is OK with only playing backup PG minutes, I'd totally be OK with having him back.

Between Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins and Jackson, it's easy to see a backup PG getting the same (12.8) or less minutes as last year.
I think Hurley has proven that we are no longer okay with OK players..

Reaction Score
Roscoe knew how to average a double-double.

I prefer that one.
My lasting memory of Roscoe was the 3/4 court heave with around 11 seconds left. I wax still sorry he left.

Reaction Score
Disagree - in today's portal world, I think flexibility is more valuable than filling space on the end of the bench.
While this is true, that flexibility does not carry over into the season. If the options are an empty spot on the bench on November 15 that cannot be filled or a player who at least serves as injury insurance, I'd rather have a player.

I agree at this point he should not be a target and the coaches should target transfers/incoming freshmen. But if the circumstances work out where there's a spot and he's willing to accept a role as the 10th/11th guy on the depth chart, that'd better than having no one.

Reaction Score
Would’ve been happy to have him if he had not decided to go into the portal. You enter the portal, you takes your chances.

Fair take. Not sure why but I feel bad he’s getting no public interest

Reaction Score
Fair take. Not sure why but I feel bad he’s getting no public interest
The reason a guy enters the portal to me dictates if I’d take them back.

I have a real low interest in bringing back someone who left due to being unhappy with his role, then comes back when he realizes he doesn’t have a role anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom