Jalen Gaffney Transferring | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not surprised at all. Hurley is actively looking for a starter and he knows he will be relegated to 10 minutes a game again.

All the guards on the active roster are now gone with just a redshirt guard coming in. Comical.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Jalen.

Unfortunately timing was not his friend as Covid cut short his freshman year where he was getting tons of minutes and, after that, it just became evident that RJ was our best option. I’m convinced that there’s a really good player there with Jalen but he needs minutes to get his confidence going.

As long as we have a plan to backfill these spots, I don’t think these are fatal wounds because I think we were looking to upgrade at PG anyway

Reaction Score

Good luck to Jalen. Not a huge surprise by any measure. We need some guards!!

I guess the other thread got deleted. There goes our Starting PG. Welcome AJ as our new PG. Going to be a fun season. Good luck to Gaffney. Crazy we lost 3 or 4 guards if you count Martin in the last few days. I guess we are hitting the portal hard.

Reaction Score
Good luck Jalen. I think he can be a pretty good player somewhere and a fresh start will do him wonders.

He was starting to take it to the basket and draw fouls as this season went on, which is a skill he'll need to take to another level to be a productive player elsewhere. His shooting has always seemed better than his numbers, so I think he can figure that out too.

If he drops down a level to somewhere he can be an effective 2 guard at his size or a score first PG where his athleticism will be an outlier, he should find success.

Reaction Score
Best of luck, but this is for the best. Too many scholarships are being used on zero production. I could see Gaffney doing well in the A10, Iona, etc with his two remaining years.

Blank slate for the staff. Could be a good thing, but obviously the pressure of needed guards is hard to ignore.

Reaction Score
Figured this would happen. He has 2 years of eligibility left and saw the writing on the wall.

We better get used to transfers. Once the NCAA said everyone gets 1 free transfer without sitting out a year you knew transferring would become more prevalent. UConn isn't immune to this developing trend. It's just going to be a way of life.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What’s comical is these absolute whiffs by Hurley on these recruits. For all who praise his recruiting prowess….hoo boy…..the teams gettin worse.

Is this suppose to be a good take? You do realize that figuring out whether at 17 year old is going to work out is difficult. It's funny that you leave out his recruiting successes... but sure go ahead tell us why Hurley is such a bad recruiter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Jalen. Always played hard. I thought he did a nice job getting better on D and limiting TOs, but his stroke left him and he always seemed a little overwhelmed with the speed of the game. He will have some success elsewhere.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hurley named Jalen as a guy he had to get the right people around yesterday. Fair to say, Dan didn’t know Jalen was leaving.

He also had a quote about Gaffney (and Akok) that indicated that this outcome didn't surprise him:

Jalen Gaffney and Akok Akok, among the older players with dwindling minutes, “are both at a crossroads here,” Hurley said, “with how the season went for them and what they want to do about it. Guys have come back from their situation and become starters, play significant roles for their teams. Some guys have not.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom