Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The timing of all of the announcements seems very much orchestrated. They are Al early enough where we can get on portal recruiting ASAP. I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff already have some bodies coming in that they can’t speak about yet.

Reaction Score
As long as we don't lose the one starter not mentioned by name in the presser yesterday, I will still feel confident going into next year

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I mean maybe Hurley didn’t want them back. That’s a more realistic possibility to me. They were told they would be recruited over(with transfers). They weren’t staring at 25min a game at UConn and decided to transfer anyway. We were always bringing in at least 3 impact guys imo once Cole left
I don’t think so. That would be suicide. Hurley has no idea of who he gets on transfer market yet.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Well, if memory serves, given you that you considered RJ Cole Antoine Anderson part II maybe that's not the worst thing ;)
Good catch. RJ did everything he could . Much respect. But in the end, 2 3rd place finishes in the BigEast and 2 first round exits to lower seeds. He maxed his deal for sure.

Reaction Score
so far our two worst players transferred and people act like the sky is falling. i don't even count these as losses, these are two players it appears uconn was going to try and recruit over via transfer portal anyways. we have 4 scholarships open, i'm sure the plan is to bring in a few guards of varying years of eligibility remaining, while working in floyd and eventually castle and then we hopefully will be back on track.

wish gaffney and diggins the best. stinks it didn't work out here but they'll have opportunities elsewhere. hope it works out for everyone involved

Reaction Score
As long as we don't lose the one starter not mentioned by name in the presser yesterday, I will still feel confident going into next year
I only see 3 locked in starters for next year and Hurley mentioned them all.

"When you look at the perimeter, I'm feeling great about Andre and what Jordan can do next year with their length and skill set and athleticism," Hurley said. "You expect Andre to absolutely be a dynamic player. I expect Jordan next year to be one of the top shooters/scorers. I think both of those guys will make a huge, huge jump next year.

"And you're talking about having a center (Sanogo) who's going to be, I would imagine, (Big East) preseason player of the year and a potential All-American. So, it's supplementing those three guys with the things we need in terms of skill and shooting."

Reaction Score
Great news for you then - he’s gone.

We’ll be fine with “insert player to be named later” starting and “insert player to be named later” as his backup.

Things are great.
I'm with you. Even if we are "fine" with hasty stop gap replacements next year, it just sucks as a fan. I like Whaley and Polley way more than shonn Miller for example, or Sterling Gibbs. They did a fine job but I barely consider them Huskies.

Reaction Score
Losing A10 guards and replacing them with Big East guards is just better. How is this hard to understand?
How is it hard to understand that being concerned about losing your only returning guards before you replace them is at least a reasonable take?

Or how about trusting the same talent evaluator(s) who missed on the two players (one of whom played for 2 years on your team) to - this time - identify the “right talent”?

Are you really that blindly trustworthy? Or are you just obnoxious to anyone who brings up a concern?

Reaction Score
Congratulations NCAA on the new the transfer portal rules. Gaff and Diggins were not in the greatest situations. The old transfer rules would of likely shackled both to UCONN. I'm happy they are free to find a better opportunity right away.

The old rules were clearly in place to protect the Universities. It's nice to see some rule changes that are explicitly designed to help the athlete.

Reaction Score
He’s still hit more than he’s missed imo. Jackson, Bouk, Sanogo, Hawkins have all been hits
Exactly. He’s had trouble recruiting PG’s out of high school for whatever reason but overall he’s hit on most positions.

Let’s see how it all pan’s out when the dust settles and I still think that although Hurley isn’t perfect, he’s the type of guy that learns from his mistakes and improves

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For the last time, AJ is not a PG on any team we'd be happy with. He is an odd SG/SM tweener whose current skill set is equal to a collection of savory side dishes next to an undercooked flank steak.

If he can figure out how to dribble, pass, and shoot he'll be a monster.

As for Gaff, I really thought he was on a path to becoming a good player. For some reason his development not only stopped cold, it regressed in a weird way to the extent I thought he might be playing with an injury.

Reaction Score
How is it hard to understand that being concerned about losing your only returning guards before you replace them is at least a reasonable take?

Or how about trusting the same talent evaluator(s) who missed on the two players (one of whom played for 2 years on your team) to - this time - identify the “right talent”?

Are you really that blindly trustworthy? Or are you just obnoxious to anyone who brings up a concern?

Those same talent evaluators brought in James Bouknight, who was the #66 recruit in his class. He turned into a lottery pick. They also brought in Adama Sanogo, who was the number #85 recruit in his class. He may be an all-American this year. They also brought in RJ Cole from the MEAC and Tyrese Martin from the A-10, who turned out to be good Big East players who will play professional basketball somewhere.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

We currently pay DH $3M to coach the team... coaching includes recruiting. Last I checked I work in sales which has nothing to do with recruiting college basketball players to UConn. So exactly what option other than blind trust do we have? If I don't trust him I would want him to be fired. There are really only two options here.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We’re one injury away from having Andrew Hurley be our starting PG. Gaffney would have been a good reserve guard, but we are very thin right now at the most crucial position.

A lot of us seem hell-bent that we’re finding 2-3 fantastic players in the portal. I doubt that.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Gaffney. I think we asked him to play a role he didn't fit. Hope he finds a team where the paint is more open on offense for his drives to the rim.

But I'd consider this a "flesh wound." 99's quote will continue to haunt my dreams until we have confirmation others are returning.
??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom