Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's not pretend like Calhoun didn't lose players to portal. While I was at UConn from 05-09 Calhoun lost the following players to the portal. What a !@#$ show!!!

4* Marcus Johnson after he lost playing time to Dyson
3* Rob Garrison after he lost playing time to Austrie
4* Doug Wiggins due to off the court issues
3* Ben Eaves
5* Curtis Kelly after he lost playing time to 3* Gavin Edwards
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice

For sure. And if one looks at this list they'll notice that almost all of the guys who left weren't good enough to play at UConn. Very few guys who had success at UConn voluntarily left. The same will likely hold true under Hurley.

My memory doesn't always serve me well as I've never followed recruiting religiously but I think most of the guys were last-minute spring signings to fill in gaps. Garrison, Eaves, Haralson, Smith, Trice--I'm almost sure of that group.

Johnson & Kelly did next to nothing here. Don't forget that those guys were here during peak UConn. Kelly was solid but unspectacular at Kansas State. He wasn't good enough to earn consistent minutes on a powerhouse UConn team. Johnson was an average starter in a weak Pac 10 as a 5th year senior.

Wiggins would have had a nice career but he, like Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, had their issues off the court. Doug Wrenn is another one; he's probably the most talented guy who transferred out during Calhoun's tenure. Scott Hazelton couldn't stay healthy and wasn't very good during his time here. Oriakhi left because of the postseason ban his senior year. Can't blame him for that.

Calhoun certainly had his fair share of busts too, as every college coach does. Ajou Deng, Scott Hazelton, Marcus Cox, etc. Those guys were more highly regarded than Diggins or certainly Gaffney and couldn't play at this level.

Given the new landscape of college basketball and how the transfer game works, I'm sure we'll lose some solid players along the way, especially if Hurley continues to improve the program. Maybe CFJ will be one of those players, maybe not, but it's clear what the rest of the DI landscape feels about Diggins and Gaffney. All of the movement, all of the open roster spots, and not a single high-major wanted either kid.

Reaction Score
Not exactly the same but understand the point. In the Calhoun years there were much better options already in house. Not the case for Gaffney/Sool (lack of point guards).
So I was thinking more about this...I agree that much better options were already in house, but JC's roster construction is eerily similar. 3-4 pillars that you can expect consistent production (Top 50 players then vs. Top 100 players now, I agree), and 1 or 2 long term bigman projects, but the secondary guards never stuck around...

You had the bigs who knew they were long term projects, like g.edwards, hilton, adrien, nelson, etc. that made such an impact over time (maybe Richie), but looking at the list from earlier, it's clear that ball dominant players who do not outperform starters said "peace out" to Storrs. It also makes sense, as we are constantly attracting PGs/CGs who know we will get them to the league.

This is definitely not JUST a Storrs problem, but in reality it's a great problem to have.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard Gaffney being linked to any programs?

Floyd I hear providence, rahsool UMass, but I haven’t heard anything re Gaffney

It could be interesting if he garners no interest would Hurley take him back as a depth piece

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard Gaffney being linked to any programs?

Floyd I hear providence, rahsool UMass, but I haven’t heard anything re Gaffney

It could be interesting if he garners no interest would Hurley take him back as a depth piece
that would be kinda sad but sure. even with alleyne and castle we'd still have 3 open schollys.

Reaction Score
I was searching Twitter the other day and found nothing. This is why the transfer portal is dangerous. There are more HS seniors + prep school seniors + players in the portal than open D1 scholarships. (I heard this on ESPNU radio the other day, might not be factual)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So I was thinking more about this...I agree that much better options were already in house, but JC's roster construction is eerily similar. 3-4 pillars that you can expect consistent production (Top 50 players then vs. Top 100 players now, I agree), and 1 or 2 long term bigman projects, but the secondary guards never stuck around...

You had the bigs who knew they were long term projects, like g.edwards, hilton, adrien, nelson, etc. that made such an impact over time (maybe Richie), but looking at the list from earlier, it's clear that ball dominant players who do not outperform starters said "peace out" to Storrs. It also makes sense, as we are constantly attracting PGs/CGs who know we will get them to the league.

This is definitely not JUST a Storrs problem, but in reality it's a great problem to have.
Yes I would say most of those guys who left had players in their class or lower who passed them up and had no minutes available. Kelly and Marcus being prime examples (Rudy and Stanley) Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had Roscoe and Lamb, younger guys who played over him for a whole season.

I wouldn’t say this would be the same as players leaving with playing time in front of them and were somewhat playing already.

I agree though we did a pretty good job of developing guys and bringing in good young players who came off the bench to get their feet wet and learn the ropes. These guys didn’t all play together but things like,

Taliek/Ben to Marcus Williams
Williams to AJ Price
AJ to Kemba
Kemba to Bazz
Bazz to Boat

If only Jalen reclassified and came in a year earlier to play with Boat.

Reaction Score
I was searching Twitter the other day and found nothing. This is why the transfer portal is dangerous. There are more HS seniors + prep school seniors + players in the portal than open D1 scholarships. (I heard this on ESPNU radio the other day, might not be factual)
there is absolutely exponentially more guys who want a scholarship than open scholarships

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
I saw Gaffney's tweet today... Some just flat out awful people in the replies, truly hope that was no one here. I am just disgusted by the things people say to each other online, I never get used to it.
I saw that too. Pretty sickening how folks will go out of their way to trash on a college kid. I just don’t think I’ll ever understand how some people get their kicks by trying to make other people miserable…

Reaction Score
I saw Gaffney's tweet today... Some just flat out awful people in the replies, truly hope that was no one here. I am just disgusted by the things people say to each other online, I never get used to it.
Disappointing that some people show no class at all.. Gaff busted his butt for the Program.. Didn't work out.. He's trying to turn the page.. If you can't move on(as a fan) and say a few encouraging words. Take the high road and say nothing .

That crap isn't even funny

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For sure. And if one looks at this list they'll notice that almost all of the guys who left weren't good enough to play at UConn. Very few guys who had success at UConn voluntarily left. The same will likely hold true under Hurley.

My memory doesn't always serve me well as I've never followed recruiting religiously but I think most of the guys were last-minute spring signings to fill in gaps. Garrison, Eaves, Haralson, Smith, Trice--I'm almost sure of that group.

Johnson & Kelly did next to nothing here. Don't forget that those guys were here during peak UConn. Kelly was solid but unspectacular at Kansas State. He wasn't good enough to earn consistent minutes on a powerhouse UConn team. Johnson was an average starter in a weak Pac 10 as a 5th year senior.

Wiggins would have had a nice career but he, like Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, had their issues off the court. Doug Wrenn is another one; he's probably the most talented guy who transferred out during Calhoun's tenure. Scott Hazelton couldn't stay healthy and wasn't very good during his time here. Oriakhi left because of the postseason ban his senior year. Can't blame him for that.

Calhoun certainly had his fair share of busts too, as every college coach does. Ajou Deng, Scott Hazelton, Marcus Cox, etc. Those guys were more highly regarded than Diggins or certainly Gaffney and couldn't play at this level.

Given the new landscape of college basketball and how the transfer game works, I'm sure we'll lose some solid players along the way, especially if Hurley continues to improve the program. Maybe CFJ will be one of those players, maybe not, but it's clear what the rest of the DI landscape feels about Diggins and Gaffney. All of the movement, all of the open roster spots, and not a single high-major wanted either kid.
Roscoe always kind of bothered me. I liked him and he would’ve been part of the 2014 Natty if he had stayed.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Gaffney is the guy Diggins was referring to in the Zags article. Gaffney liked a couple of tweets about Diggins’ commit.

Reaction Score

Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He just stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense
Let's not pretend like Calhoun didn't lose players to portal. While I was at UConn from 05-09 Calhoun lost the following players to the portal. What a !@#$ show!!!

4* Marcus Johnson after he lost playing time to Dyson
3* Rob Garrison after he lost playing time to Austrie
4* Doug Wiggins due to off the court issues
3* Ben Eaves
5* Curtis Kelly after he lost playing time to 3* Gavin Edwards
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice
Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense but shot better then Rip

Reaction Score
Link?
That would be helpful wouldn’t it?

As for other transfers Diggins wants to bring in, he is still feeling that process out.
“Right now I have my eyes on one person,” Diggins said. “But learned that I have to focus on myself first and my situation.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Roscoe always kind of bothered me. I liked him and he would’ve been part of the 2014 Natty if he had stayed.

Yeah, that was a tough one.

2011-2012 was not one of JC’s better efforts - he wasn’t healthy, the team had talent, but never really meshed particularly well and for some reason, Roscoe seemed to take the brunt of it. He was much better than Olander, but ended up splitting the position with him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That would be helpful wouldn’t it?

As for other transfers Diggins wants to bring in, he is still feeling that process out.
“Right now I have my eyes on one person,” Diggins said. “But learned that I have to focus on myself first and my situation.”
I can’t imagine he wants to bring the guy who benched him to the same program he’s trying to get minutes at. But weirder things have happened.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a very sad case because as a freshman when he was inserted at the point the team took of
That 2014 was such a precise puzzle I fear one piece changes and it doesn’t happen.Smith could have hindered not only Giffey’s development but
DD ‘s emergence as a stretch four with that great shooting touch. That team won because of defense but they could put 4 players on the floor who could shoot. Kromah was the 5th best shooter and shot the three at 35% . The other 4 were above or around 40%. Smith changes the chemistry.

Reaction Score
Yes I would say most of those guys who left had players in their class or lower who passed them up and had no minutes available. Kelly and Marcus being prime examples (Rudy and Stanley) Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had Roscoe and Lamb, younger guys who played over him for a whole season.

I wouldn’t say this would be the same as players leaving with playing time in front of them and were somewhat playing already.

I agree though we did a pretty good job of developing guys and bringing in good young players who came off the bench to get their feet wet and learn the ropes. These guys didn’t all play together but things like,

Taliek/Ben to Marcus Williams
Williams to AJ Price
AJ to Kemba
Kemba to Bazz
Bazz to Boat

If only Jalen reclassified and came in a year earlier to play with Boat.
I’ve given this question a lot of thought there were obviously huge moves that change the dynamics like DD coming back for his senior year or Hamilton for his junior . They were game changers however there are sometimes small things that come back to bite you .
I understand the eye roll with my suggestion and since no one brought him up I’m suggesting convincing TSam to stick it out as a mentor to Adams would have paid huge dividends.
First of all with the addition of Adams , Sterling Gibbs ,and the maturation of Hamilton ,plus Purvis his shooting woes become less of a factor.
He could command the point and was tough as nails and was a link to both Bazz and Boat. The only thing better than a veteran with a ring is a PG with a ring . Our lack of depth at guard the following year killed that team as JA was abused. Yes he wasn’t “the man “ at PG but could have been a great guy off the bench mentor ,and leader.
Maybe even provide that spark occasionally.

PS Giffey averaged 2+ points his first two years and if he transferred our history would be different so you never know.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was a tough one.

2011-2012 was not one of JC’s better efforts - he wasn’t healthy, the team had talent, but never really meshed particularly well and for some reason, Roscoe seemed to take the brunt of it. He was much better than Olander, but ended up splitting the position with him.
Tyler could tell time.

Reaction Score
Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He just stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense

Michael LeBlanc was one of the best shooters but transferred. He stayed in Calhouns dog house because of no defense but shot better then Rip
yup. LeBlanc was higher rated in the recruiting rankings than his high school teammate that came to UConn and eventually went to the NBA. Of course I am talking about ........................ Jake Voskuhl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom