Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone loves to bust on Richie.. Ponder this.. He is still committed to the Program as are his coaches to him.They must be seeing something in practice/scrimmages that keeps their interest. Perhaps there has been a log jam at his position-- IW/AA/SJ.. Without IW--Maybe things open up for him as a role player that grabs some boards/RBs.. Give him credit for hanging in there.

Will it work out for him. Don't know. Crazier things have happened.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Everyone loves to bust on Richie.. Ponder this.. He is still committed to the Program as are his coaches to him.They must be seeing something in practice/scrimmages that keeps their interest. Perhaps there has been a log jam at his position-- IW/AA/SJ.. Without IW--Maybe things open up for him as a role player that grabs some boards/RBs.. Give him credit for hanging in there.

I remember Whaley saying last offseason the player that was going to surprise ppl was springs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Think Kentan Facey. Never did much until senior year.

Reaction Score
To the extent anyone's busting on him I assume it's mostly overweight 60-somethings who never made it past CYO.

Kid's got two more years, doesn't he? I'd really love to see him be a contributor.
3 more years if wants to take advantage of the covid freebie!

Reaction Score

I bet he sees a decent amount of time next year. He's going to be a Jr. Not everyone can see playing time as a Freshman and Sophomore.

Reaction Score
You guys have very short memories. Gaffney was very highly recruited by P5 teams, even more so than Bouknight, coming out of high school. I mentioned Rutgers because Pikell still has some connections with the school, and one of Gaffney’s first offers was from Rutgers. Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff. Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.
Jalen got plenty of opportunities. He just didn’t produce. I think he will end up at a lower division 1 program and be a solid backup. I wish him well

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You guys have very short memories. Gaffney was very highly recruited by P5 teams, even more so than Bouknight, coming out of high school. I mentioned Rutgers because Pikell still has some connections with the school, and one of Gaffney’s first offers was from Rutgers. Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff. Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.
'Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff.'

taking all this as true, which i do, and looking at where he is right now, and me as well, given my recent enlightenment on coach things (he played typo, over and over for years with the strong endorsement by some in the clown posse here -want me to back up and call some of youse out on that nonsense?) it does create curiosity around the next point,

'Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.'

im patient and will wait and see. like i said, all of a sudden things feel forced. and why is rich springs entering year whatever without ever playing a lick? if he has personal reasons to do it, like getting a degree or he really likes this college experience, well, fine. no issues. good on him. but if not, then what the jelly is up with that? cuz that too is kinda weird.

and thanks for putting up that offer list from his resume. i didn't know that, and only first heard aboot him by watching a vid here, and instantly liking what i saw. if that puts me in the company of those ballers on the list, then thanks for the compliment.

Reaction Score
To the extent anyone's busting on him I assume it's mostly overweight 60-somethings who never made it past CYO.

Kid's got two more years, doesn't he? I'd really love to see him be a contributor.
3 yrs of eligibility with RS/Covid if he wants to take advantage of the third year

Edit: IIRC- He came to Storrs on the younger side(age) as a freshman

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff.'

taking all this as true, which i do, and looking at where he is right now, and me as well, given my recent enlightenment on coach things (he played typo, over and over for years with the strong endorsement by some in the clown posse here -want me to back up and call some of youse out on that nonsense?) it does create curiosity around the next point,

'Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.'

im patient and will wait and see. like i said, all of a sudden things feel forced. and why is rich springs entering year whatever without ever playing a lick? if he has personal reasons to do it, like getting a degree or he really likes this college experience, well, fine. no issues. good on him. but if not, then what the jelly is up with that? cuz that too is kinda weird.

and thanks for putting up that offer list from his resume. i didn't know that, and only first heard aboot him by watching a vid here, and instantly liking what i saw. if that puts me in the company of those ballers on the list, then thanks for the compliment.
mg sez to me this am ' any chance jmoney and sool both go to the same place as the starting backcourt?'
whoa, never thought aboot that before, sez me.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That's a normal post of his. I don't think any drinking was involved. I actually understood that one better than most of his posts. :)

We all see his handle and his almost indecipherable rants, and we’re asking about alcohol? Be better guys.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

Maybe, just maybe, the kid likes attending the school and is using basketball as a vehicle to get a diploma. Call me a dreamer.

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, the kid likes attending the school and is using basketball as a vehicle to get a diploma. Call me a dreamer.
Maybe, just maybe, his coaches believe he has a role this year and his value to the roster as it is currently constructed could be an asset. An unanticipated/unfortunate injury could put him into the regular rotation quickly. He knows our system/defensive rotations, etc.

I trust our coaches re: his value

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, his coaches believe he has a role this year and his value to the roster as it is currently constructed could be an asset. An unanticipated/unfortunate injury could put him into the regular rotation quickly. He knows our system/defensive rotations, etc.

I trust our coaches re: his value
Never said he couldn't contribute. Just wanted to put the other option out there.

Reaction Score
Kentan had flashes were he looked good then would disappear as sophomore. I believe he also started a number of games
Then he got benched junior year when we brought in a PG 4 Miller . Today he probably would have been in the portal . But had decent senior year playing multi minutes at the 4/5
on that short roster .

Reaction Score
mg sez to me this am ' any chance jmoney and sool both go to the same place as the starting backcourt?'
whoa, never thought aboot that before, sez me.
Put them on the schedule asap.

Reaction Score
Jalen got plenty of opportunities. He just didn’t produce. I think he will end up at a lower division 1 program and be a solid backup. I wish him well
I disagree he will start st 95% of the non power conferences ( PS my list of top conferences is probably top 10-12 of the 35 Div 1. ) 50% of the top ones.
The BY tends to be a bit more elitist then me.
That kid has a bunch of talent for the right coach. TSam started for Penn State. Marginal a better decision maker but he couldn’t shoot a lick.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Facey played a lot more than Springs, who hasn’t played in any mid game situations. Would be a nice surprise if he can be some regular help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom