Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this is bad. now that some cold water has been thrown in my face, based upon the nightmare idiocy of playing typo, with jmoney, like joshy before him, heading out for greener pastures, it makes the honest question of 'what exactly have the hurleys won, anywhere?'
till now, typo wasteland years and 45;07 were the preeminent of the few concerns that i had aboot danny, but this?
this is bad.
mebbe there is less than meets the eye with danny. idk.
a team of mercenaries is not to my interest. i'll give danny one year, out of respect for the team, but this changes a lot.
all of a sudden, it all feels very forced. cliffy don't do losers, whether in the markets, or in fandom.
ok, count me in, danny, you are on the clock, starting now. on the udder hand, wherever jmoney ends up, i'll be sending some cash there to rent a seat, and watch, up close and personal like.

there is a fine line between being funny, and being a clown. im looking at you, danny.
stuff the sage up ur kazoo.

Don’t drink and boneyard

Reaction Score
The next 3 weeks is key. Glad while we still play the “build the culture” stuff lip service, that we have moved away from that to focus on winning.

Reaction Score
Who do you folks think end up in the portal?

There will be a handful of good ones.
The more relevant question is why do they end up in the portal? In Gaffney’s case, I am certain that Hurley spelled out the many things he needs to improve, their plan for him next season, and even more specific, the minutes he may see. Gaffney didn’t like what he heard perhaps saw the writing on the wall. Either way, the narrative that this decision or the other puts our program back is a false one. Gaffney in particular had many chances to show his worth and this season fell further short then anyone expected. Not sure who they fill the spots with but know this, they will be better fits than the two that are leaving.

Reaction Score
The more relevant question is why do they end up in the portal? In Gaffney’s case, I am certain that Hurley spelled out the many things he needs to improve, their plan for him next season, and even more specific, the minutes he may see. Gaffney didn’t like what he heard perhaps saw the writing on the wall. Either way, the narrative that this decision or the other puts our program back is a false one. Gaffney in particular had many chances to show his worth and this season fell further short then anyone expected. Not sure who they fill the spots with but know this, they will be better fits than the two that are leaving.
True, because high school athletes playing against even high level AAU competition, does not compare to seeing college BB players competing against other college players over a period of time.

Doing the analytics to measure how they did against tournament level teams, and otherwise meeting the eye test for a team's individual needs, should produce a more predictable barometer of likelihood of success.

Having said all this, if you can't get the players you think meet your needs, you have a problem. Why? Because you might have to choose players inferior to the ones that left if that's all that's left from the portal.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Chief does think when a team has so much trouble scoring points, it does take the fun out of the game for the players. Something to consider moving forward. Then add not winning something significant.

I know we live in a participation trophy World in many parts of our state, but to Chief getting eliminated in game #1 two years in a row in the NCAA’s and getting eliminated early in the Big East Tournament is NOT finishing on a high note. It doesn’t change how I feel about them as people at all but at some point it’s good to accomplish something to built a career foundation.
Chief, I am genuinely curious which parts of Connecticut are more prone to giving out participation trophies. Please elucidate.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when i first came here, i heard this chappy stuff sometimes, but it was mostly a 'carl' thing. silly me, cuz i thought they meant this carl

cuz, you know, of all the cool, hipster types posting. wrongo.
also, when i came here, i slapped the 'Sir Stop Touching Me' label on ol typo, like within minutes of arrival, along with 'joshy is great, and gonna get paid.'
oh well, two out of three ain't bad, especially when trading options on futures. naked options.
obviously, carl brutananadilewski was right with his pick.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
carl is an orator, highly in demand for his lazer-like observations.
have sum

when i thought youse meant him, i was overwhelmed with pride.

Reaction Score
Chief, I am genuinely curious which parts of Connecticut are more prone to giving out participation trophies. Please elucidate.
Generally speaking towns that have popular youth soccer programs. I coached youth basketball in a town that also had a youth soccer program. The basketball league was more urban and the soccer league more suburban kids. Fortunately, we got our share of the hardware over the years but one year we were young and developing. Chief had to explain to two parents that year why unlike the soccer league, the basketball league only gave trophies to the regular season 1st place and the playoffs champions.

Reaction Score
Good luck Jalen. I think he can be a pretty good player somewhere and a fresh start will do him wonders.

He was starting to take it to the basket and draw fouls as this season went on, which is a skill he'll need to take to another level to be a productive player elsewhere. His shooting has always seemed better than his numbers, so I think he can figure that out too.

If he drops down a level to somewhere he can be an effective 2 guard at his size or a score first PG where his athleticism will be an outlier, he should find success.
I think Gaffney leaving was a huge flub by the coaching staff. I think he ends up at Rutgers, or maybe Providence or Villanova, but not sure about the in conference rules.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney leaving was a huge flub by the coaching staff. I think he ends up at Rutgers, or maybe Providence or Villanova, but not sure about the in conference rules.
Maybe he lives up to his potential somewhere else but it feels doubtful. He was given every possible chance here to earn more playing time and the results weren't pretty. As it stands, he is eminently replaceable by any number of players in the portal.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He’s heading to like George Washington or Drake. If he’s in a power conference I’d be very surprised.

Reaction Score
He’s heading to like George Washington or Drake. If he’s in a power conference I’d be very surprised.
You guys have very short memories. Gaffney was very highly recruited by P5 teams, even more so than Bouknight, coming out of high school. I mentioned Rutgers because Pikell still has some connections with the school, and one of Gaffney’s first offers was from Rutgers. Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff. Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.

Reaction Score
You guys have very short memories. Gaffney was very highly recruited by P5 teams, even more so than Bouknight, coming out of high school. I mentioned Rutgers because Pikell still has some connections with the school, and one of Gaffney’s first offers was from Rutgers. Gaffney also had offers from Clemson, West Virginia, LSU, Florida, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Pittsburgh and Minnesota. He also had a home visit from the Stanford Cardinal coaching staff. Not saying it’s true, but I’m sure there are a couple programs out there who think Hurley ruined the kid.
Yeah, and then he played 3 seasons of D1 ball. Who he had offers from years ago could not be less important to his current situation.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and then he played 3 seasons of D1 ball. Who he had offers from years ago could not be less important to his current situation.
If a P5 team or even another BE coach needs to fill a spot on their roster with a very quick shooting guard who has no fear at attacking the basket, they will call him, and they also might consider that his coach was Dan Hurley.

Reaction Score
If a P5 team or even another BE coach needs to fill a spot on their roster with a very quick shooting guard who has no fear at attacking the basket, they will call him, and they also might consider that his coach was Dan Hurley.
Huh? Gaff is neither very quick, a shooting guard, or fearless at attacking the basket?

It's not short memories at all. He's had 3 years to meet expectations and he didn't. He was in the same backcourt as an NBA lottery pick and an all-conference guard and had an additional all-conference center that he could have padded his stats with. If Hurley is your only excuse for his lack of success then you are frankly so blinded by your hate of Hurley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom