Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m equally fed up with the clowns who think we’re fine starting Floyd - a kid outside the top 100 who redshirted - and Karaban, another not highly ranked recruit who I suspect will have a major adjustment period to the college game. We’re headed into next year with our best player playing the least important position in modern basketball, no point guard, the aforementioned Jackson issues, etc. Even if Hawkins makes the leap I think he will it would be tough for him to replicate Bouknight’s abilities, and that team couldn’t do anything even with him (with his injuries an obvious caveat).

I don’t really see UConn as a tournament lock next year, and depending on who else leaves this could be a mess next year
Some of the top players in college basketball weren't highly rated recruits out of high school: Agbaji, Keegan Murray, etc. I don't give a flying you-know-what about what a HS player's ranking is on ESPN100, 247, or Rivals. We're going to be fine. It doesn't seem like you've watched any film on Floyd or Karaban. The fact that they have practiced with the team is already big for us. They'll have fewer growing pains because they have their feet already wet in terms of our program. Of course, they haven't played a game for us yet, and that will happen soon.

Reaction Score
You may not like it, but the reality is that the transfer portal is equivalent to recruiting. It's just as important as getting HS players. We aren't "short" any PG or other position (yet), just because we haven't finished recruiting. We weren't "short" a big, CG, and wing before recruiting Clinga, Floyd Jr. and Karaban either.

The transfer portal happens later than HS recruiting. It's part of what coaches prepare for.
Portal activity and decommits (due to coaching changes) happen this time of year. DH/staff seem all -in on closing on their targets. Let's get them on campus

Reaction Score

Not sure if I'd consider him "highly touted." I love the kid, but he's probably a player that goes to the A-10 to thrive. Rooting for him. Don't think he's P6 worthy, however.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Figured this would happen. He has 2 years of eligibility left and saw the writing on the wall.

We better get used to transfers. Once the NCAA said everyone gets 1 free transfer without sitting out a year you knew transferring would become more prevalent. UConn isn't immune to this developing trend. It's just going to be a way of life.
Good for the transferees. When you don't get minutes and feel you can do better you don't have to just take it; just move on. Coaches who are realists and are adaptable to change recognize this risk and have to make a decision that reflects that reality.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
People don't like to see one of your own leave (which is understandable), but the talent was just not there. This is the reality of a program that expects to compete for titles. If you aren't good enough to cut it, you'll get replaced with new, hopefully better talent.
That is exactly the gamble that Hurley is playing.

Reaction Score
Perhaps poaching an high value/rank 'commit' from elsewhere who sees better opportunity at UC/BE?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jalen made this decision a week ago. I'm no insider but he dates the sister of a coworker of mine. She said the reason he was leaving is that RJ was coming back but obviously that's not the case.

Best of luck Jalen, not the level of talent we needed to move this team forward.
Does she work at a carwash?

Reaction Score
Some of the top players in college basketball weren't highly rated recruits out of high school: Agbaji, Keegan Murray, etc. I don't give a flying you-know-what about what a HS player's ranking is on ESPN100, 247, or Rivals. We're going to be fine. It doesn't seem like you've watched any film on Floyd or Karaban. The fact that they have practiced with the team is already big for us. They'll have fewer growing pains because they have their feet already wet in terms of our program. Of course, they haven't played a game for us yet, and that will happen soon.
Maybe my point wasn’t phrased well. I don’t think their rankings mean they’re never going to be huge parts of the UConn program. I actually think both will be major contributors for years. I just think it’s unrealistic to expect either or both to step in and immediately contribute year one. To me, a five star is usually much more likely to contribute early

Reaction Score
If Gaffney is thought of as one of the top guards available in the portal, then we are in serious trouble

We know better and so does Hurley. You can just watch other transfer guards handle and know your getting a better guard. His handle just isn't up to par to be a high D1 starting PG.

Reaction Score
You may not like it, but the reality is that the transfer portal is equivalent to recruiting. It's just as important as getting HS players. We aren't "short" any PG or other position (yet), just because we haven't finished recruiting. We weren't "short" a big, CG, and wing before recruiting Clinga, Floyd Jr. and Karaban either.

The transfer portal happens later than HS recruiting. It's part of what coaches prepare for.
Another thing about the portal is that there is a good chance, if you choose to, that Hurley can replace the departing players with one's from the same class year. I would assume it would help eliminate having to get 4-5 guys every year.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Gaffney wherever he lands. He is talented, but for whatever reason it did not materialize at UConn. I think confidence was a huge factor in his not progressing and not so much the perceived lack of ability many here are saying. If he can get his head together he can be a very good mid major starting PG and a good high D1 backup.

I think Diggins is the greater loss to the team as I think there is a good college point guard there. He was clearly not as ready as the staff thought when he arrived, but that does not mean he is not any good and should be considered a bust.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The leap Andre took from December to March was monumental. He brought the ball up for us against Nova, while also shutting down gillespie at the same time.

Yes, he's erratic at times, but he's physically unguardable to the average sized PG, and a better athlete than everyone on the floor. He reminds me a lot of a more athletic Kyle Anderson, an NBA point guard.
And players get better

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With all due respect, you and the guy who coaches high school (?) are mistaken. The movement is overwhelmingly downward in both sports.
But like they all said to me in Little League when I invariably had two strikes. "It only takes one!"

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
All the Jackson at starting PG talk is crazy. He does not have to assume all the PG duties to be our primary facilitator and use his court vision. I think they target a legitimate PG to assume to roles of dealing with pressure, but ultimately Jackson will be the primary facilitator in half court sets. Use Jackson for his strengths, not what we need to fill.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Click bate......
And thank you gif for your time in a uconn jersey
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
One thing is clear - so much for the Randy like building a culture narrative.
We need to be built on winning instead.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Pros and Cons. First, the Pros:
  1. There are a few strong candidates to contribute next year, that we didn't see much of this year - Johnson, Floyd, Karaban, Akok. All relatively high-level recruits.
  2. Though Karaban and Floyd haven't played they practiced with the team and know the system.
  3. In Akok's case, he's coming off injury, and the first year back after an Achilles tear is never strong. So a big jump is possible.
  4. The "core" of Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo is reasonably solid - a 2, a 1/3, and a 5.
  5. Hawkins can shoot, and is very springy.
  6. Jackson can handle, and sees the floor well. He's a voracious rebounder.
  7. Sanogo has a boatload of good post moves and a soft touch.
  8. The recruit coming in, Clingan, brings size you can't teach and good hands
  9. There should be a number of good guards available in the portal
Now the Cons:
  1. Players who had the option of staying didn't. (Age-wise/opportunity-wise can't blame them.)
  2. Too much size and not enough ball-handling ability on the current roster. One through four all need ball handling skills and the ability to drive when it's available.
  3. That wasn't helped by losing the only two designated ball-handling guards on the current roster.
  4. We need more shooting also, not just ball handling. I guess we're hoping that Floyd, Karaban and Hawkins become lights-out from 3. That might happen. Then again ... maybe not.
  5. Not sure Jackson can excel as a PG. He didn't have to be that guy this year.
  6. Not sure Akok will ever be again what we anticipated pre-injury.
  7. Not sure Hawkins ball handling is good enough to be driving threat one-on-one.
  8. Would love to have seen more passing out of doubles/triples from Sanogo this year.
  9. Unclear what we'll see from Floyd, Karaban. Optimism says serious players, but they haven't "done it" yet.
  10. Clingan is a freshman big, playing behind a 1st team all-BE guy who will get the lion's share of minutes, so not sure that's much of a contributor.
  11. Those good guards in the portal that we covet might want to play elsewhere.
  12. The fact that the current guards are leaving might influence those decisions.
  13. You'd expect the program to be on solid footing at 5 years into the Hurley era. Hard to make that case as of today.

Reaction Score
he was, but I wouldn’t count on it. He was a super anomaly. He was a Texas commit for over a year so missed a ton of key time in the recruiting process.

That said, I still look at him as a completely unreal recruiting win. Even relative to him, we were late to the party. He was pegged to return to Texas, or to commit to Kansas or Kentucky. And instead, we swept in and got him without even a visit. Top 15 recruit. Might be pound for pound the greatest recruiting win I’ve ever seen at UConn all things considered.
Drummond boat and daniels giff. Nice class.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If he’s one of the ‘best PGs available’ …….

Who do you folks think end up in the portal?

There will be a handful of good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits