Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Khalid was a late pickup as well... wasn't he? Was heavily involved with Minnesota (of course). Can't remember if he had signed a letter of intent or not.

God we need that bad. The next Khalid. He was pretty damn brilliant with his team selection. Identified us as having every component a team needs.... except him. What a basketball mind.

Reaction Score
Ollie - OBE to Probation to AAC
Hurley AAC to NBE

Or did you just happen to forget about that?

Can't we just leave KO out of this? It's now year 5 of DH and entirely his team
Nobody here thought KO should have kept his job - he is gone
KO lost players to transfer and now DH is facing the same scenario DH has to figure this out without upsetting the culture and hopefully that will occur - lets all wait and see
DH needs to get this program to a NBE championship and to the second weekend in the dance ASAP - he knows that
To compare the players transferring out under Ollie to Hurley is not a great comparison. Ollie was losing guys that played big minutes, Hurley is seeing guys that couldn’t track his rotation leave. Let’s not spread false narratives around here.

Reaction Score
Gaff will land on his feet. He has talent. He just needs the confidence and a coach that will settle him down. As for next year, there is nobody to blame but Hurley for the current guard situation. He is going to have to pull some rabbits out of the hat, or it’s going to be another structural hole that will inhibit our chance of a return to the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Those championing this “now Hurley has a clean slate” narrative and the “gaffney wasn’t even good talk” are missing the larger point.

These are now all or almost all Hurley recruits. He built these teams. We’re going into next year with a converted wing who can’t shoot a jump shot as the starting pg. Hurley can talk about building a modern offense but so far he’s shown absolutely zero aptitude there.

I’m equally fed up with the clowns who think we’re fine starting Floyd - a kid outside the top 100 who redshirted - and Karaban, another not highly ranked recruit who I suspect will have a major adjustment period to the college game. We’re headed into next year with our best player playing the least important position in modern basketball, no point guard, the aforementioned Jackson issues, etc. Even if Hawkins makes the leap I think he will it would be tough for him to replicate Bouknight’s abilities, and that team couldn’t do anything even with him (with his injuries an obvious caveat).

I don’t really see UConn as a tournament lock next year, and depending on who else leaves this could be a mess next year

Reaction Score
I think most here need to relax a little. We have been trending upward under Hurley. We may take a small dip next year, we may not.

But overall I think we are headed in the right direction. I’m optimistic that Hurley will form this team into an even better one than we had this past season

Reaction Score
Was this the second shoe that @husky99 was talking about? I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a quick commitment out of the portal.
About a week ago I posted the portal was going to be a two way street. In the last couple days Husky99 was hinting at similar things. I always thought Gaffney had potential, but it won’t be fulfilled here.
Hurley went with the experience or is it guys he was comfortable with this season? At any rate, it did not take us to where we wanted to go, so Hurley is rolling the dice.

I can’t name names here but I do think it’s important that we return a small core and some % of various box score categories.

I really don’t understand Cole and Martin, they did not leave on a high note, and their talent ceiling perception may not be as high as they self identify. They played hard and did things the right way work wise but just did not have the talent level to get us to the next level. I think they could have been good complementary players but that’s hard to do after being the top dogs.

Reaction Score
As long as he or Diggins doesn't end up at Houston and end up succeeding there...Otherwise, that wouldn't be a fun trend, after Carlton's success there, because... ya...

Reaction Score
I know that Hawkins is not a point guard but this may spur him to do a lot of ball handling which we know is not his strength. However, Hawkins can get his own shot and put up points in a hurry and become the offensive focus which we will have to have. His attitude should be this season my team, give me the damn ball, first option clock winding down. This is how superstars become superstars. It was Cole and now it’s him. Of course he has to have that ability and I hope he’s dribbling a ball 22 hours a day and pumping iron too. Doesn’t mean we don’t need more guards and I hope Hurley will fix that quick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Things I learned in this thread:

1) There is a group of very good players waiting in the transfer portal in case UConn has a roster opening.

2) Anytime something goes wrong with UConn, all you have to say is "Ollie something something" and it makes it OK.

Hurley is heading into year 5 at UConn, and has 4 returning scholarship players that have seen any meaningful playing time. Assuming that no one else leaves, UConn has 9 scholarship players for next season and it is March 31. It is almost like Patrick Ewing is managing UConn's roster.

Smart, Cooley and McDermott did show that you can build a tournament team out of the transfer portal. We will find out if Hurley is better than those coaches.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Jalen.

Unfortunately timing was not his friend as Covid cut short his freshman year where he was getting tons of minutes and, after that, it just became evident that RJ was our best option. I’m convinced that there’s a really good player there with Jalen but he needs minutes to get his confidence going.

As long as we have a plan to backfill these spots, I don’t think these are fatal wounds because I think we were looking to upgrade at PG anyway
Agreed. Playing time was not on his side. Yes he needed minutes. Jalen could of made an impact. Even off the bench. Jalen had some good games in the past. I think Hurley trusted his starting line up. In any situation. Jalen was thrown in, a couple of very good minutes. Then yanked. Let's not talk about his turnovers. That would mean we have to talk about the team as a whole. I think DH missed the boat on this one. Good luck Jalen. You deserve it.

Reaction Score
A lot of noise in this thread but to distill it I think 4 things can be true at once.

1. Jalen Gaffney is a good kid and teammate, not the level of player UConn needs.
2. Rahsool Diggins, for whatever reason (lack of opportunity, development, talent-level) never solidified his status as PG-in-waiting despite obvious opportunity/need
3. By relying on older guys and whiffing on some PG recruits, Hurley has created a gaping hole in the roster that needs filling fast
4. This year has revealed some of the obvious developmental areas for Hurley, mostly around roster construction/management, game coaching, and system. Where he goes from here will determine his success/failure.

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen Eric Mussleman? He's literally the SEC Dan Hurley. He has the #2 recruiting class coming in next year. Shut up
Because he’s a good coach that didn’t flame out in the first round with 2 first team all Big East players with a solid supporting cast.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Those championing this “now Hurley has a clean slate” narrative and the “gaffney wasn’t even good talk” are missing the larger point.

These are now all or almost all Hurley recruits. He built these teams. We’re going into next year with a converted wing who can’t shoot a jump shot as the starting pg. Hurley can talk about building a modern offense but so far he’s shown absolutely zero aptitude there.

I’m equally fed up with the clowns who think we’re fine starting Floyd - a kid outside the top 100 who redshirted - and Karaban, another not highly ranked recruit who I suspect will have a major adjustment period to the college game. We’re headed into next year with our best player playing the least important position in modern basketball, no point guard, the aforementioned Jackson issues, etc. Even if Hawkins makes the leap I think he will it would be tough for him to replicate Bouknight’s abilities, and that team couldn’t do anything even with him (with his injuries an obvious caveat).

I don’t really see UConn as a tournament lock next year, and depending on who else leaves this could be a mess next year
we are not going into next season without a PG
at least let Hurley finish off his roster before we kill on him
the transfer portal is now equal to recruiting HS players - welcome to post covid basketball
Iowa St built a 2nd weekend NCAA tourny team with transfers
North Carolina is thriving with a major transfer
btw, don't sell Floyd Jr short ... he is a tough kid

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
A lot of noise in this thread but to distill it I think 4 things can be true at once.

1. Jalen Gaffney is a good kid and teammate, not the level of player UConn needs.
2. Rahsool Diggins, for whatever reason (lack of opportunity, development, talent-level) never solidified his status as PG-in-waiting despite obvious opportunity/need
3. By relying on older guys and whiffing on some PG recruits, Hurley has created a gaping hole in the roster that needs filling fast
4. This year has revealed some of the obvious developmental areas for Hurley, mostly around roster construction/management, game coaching, and system. Where he goes from here will determine his success/failure.
as someone mentioned earlier, having Whaley/Polley come back did jam things up.
oh well, i'm still looking forward to next season no matter what the roster

Reaction Score

Very reasonable takes. I'll add two more that are both true right now and some folks seem to have trouble grasping:
5. Clearly the roster is not in good shape right now.
6. There is a good chance that Hurley will bring in better players that Gaffney/Sool before the season starts.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Some of the takes here are hilarious. Seems these boards were created so people whose hobby is to say dumb crap then laugh (at a cowardly safe internet distance) while others respond seriously. Seems pretty lame but whatever floats one’s boat. Besides, psychiatry grads need to work too.
Hurley is a bad coach. No 1 coach objective. Improve year over year towards pinnacle - once at pinnacle stay there. No problem. Right Geno? Right Mr Wooden?
Hurley can’t recruit. Can’t identify talent. Akok, bouknight, Jackson, sanogo beg to differ.
Stuck shopping the discount aisle. Please find more gems there like Cole and Martin.
Coaches philosophy. Earn PT in practice. Why? Not only does it improve the individual but improves teammates. Bah! Screw that.
You were on a roll, why stop? There's so much more that can be said the wisdom on this board.

For example, as it pertains to the topic of this thread, we go from Gaffney cannot see the court to OMG Gaffney is transferring, the shy is falling.

Good luck Gaffney, live your life, chase your dreams, be happy

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to chill out.

True.

I think alot of people still angry about the loss/disappointment in the NCAA tourney, and scared about next season. Let's just see what happens with the portal first. I believe we will be able to field a solid Big East team come next fall.

Reaction Score
You may not like it, but the reality is that the transfer portal is equivalent to recruiting. It's just as important as getting HS players. We aren't "short" any PG or other position (yet), just because we haven't finished recruiting. We weren't "short" a big, CG, and wing before recruiting Clinga, Floyd Jr. and Karaban either.

The transfer portal happens later than HS recruiting. It's part of what coaches prepare for.

Reaction Score

Let me remind you its March 31. There are entire teams in the transfer portal. Its a bit premature to even try to evaluate how good or bad UConn will be next season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Probably a decent amount of minutes at backup 5 available. We may still go big on occasion, matchup dependent, but if Hurley is to be believed, the 4 will be held down by Jackson (defensively).
Johnson is a much better backup 5. I expect he will fill that role and play as a 4.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Things I learned in this thread:

1) There is a group of very good players waiting in the transfer portal in case UConn has a roster opening.

2) Anytime something goes wrong with UConn, all you have to say is "Ollie something something" and it makes it OK.

Hurley is heading into year 5 at UConn, and has 4 returning scholarship players that have seen any meaningful playing time. Assuming that no one else leaves, UConn has 9 scholarship players for next season and it is March 31. It is almost like Patrick Ewing is managing UConn's roster.

Smart, Cooley and McDermott did show that you can build a tournament team out of the transfer portal. We will find out if Hurley is better than those coaches.
You may want to look at some other schools. Including P5 schools, and yes, Georgetown, which had 3 guys enter the portal in the last day.
So Far:
Alabama -3
Arizona State -4
Cinci -4
GT -3
Indiana -4
Iowa State -5 (and +1 from Georgetown)
K State -4
LSU -7
Missouri -6
and on it goes. Smaller schools taking an even bigger hit. New Hampshire is -8 NMSU that just beat us is -4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom