Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think if we're going to complain about Hurley playing freshman, Johnson has to be the real complaint and not keeping CFJR and Rashool on the bench. I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there. I know it's stupid but I feel like he really can be something good for us.
He did show flashes. I feel like his career here could be tremendous, horrible, or average. With Diggins, you knew it wasn't going to last.

Reaction Score
I think if we're going to complain about Hurley playing freshman, Johnson has to be the real complaint and not keeping CFJR and Rashool on the bench. I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there. I know it's stupid but I feel like he really can be something good for us.
It's not a conversation anyone here wants to have, and I love Whaley and everything he brought to UConn. Especially sticking around through the rough years and getting us back on the map. But I'm not convinced we wouldn't have been a better team with those minutes going to Johnson this year at the 4

Reaction Score
If Samson can score off the dribble then he will win the minutes battle over Akok. It's a necessity that either, or both, of those guys learn how to score off the bounce. We can't run a fluid offense if they just stand in the corner the entire time

Reaction Score
Whether you (or anyone likes it or not) AJ will be the starting PG next year. I for one hope there is at least one pure PG who can shoot who transfers to UConn just in case Hurley's vision has some spotting in it.
Then Hurley has a death wish to get canned. Seriously. 2 PGs transfer out and and he remains steadfast on AJ being the PG? That’s absolute malpractice.

What has Jackson done to prove that he is ready to be THE primary ball handler on a team in the big East?

Reaction Score
It's not a conversation anyone here wants to have, and I love Whaley and everything he brought to UConn. Especially sticking around through the rough years and getting us back on the map. But I'm not convinced we wouldn't have been a better team with those minutes going to Johnson this year at the 4
I agree. I think Sanogo should have played a few less mpg and Whaley should have gotten those minutes, and Johnson should have filled in for those Whaley minutes. Whaley and Sanogo were both better as the only C on the floor

Reaction Score
Do you think it might be easier to assess the talent of a guy who's played 1-3 years of college basketball than it is to assess a kid who was playing HS ball? Just a bit?
ok, let me add to "judgement" an ability to recruit them to UCONN. He hasn't shown that either, other than Martin who played for him at URI.

Reaction Score
Then Hurley has a death wish to get canned. Seriously. 2 PGs transfer out and and he remains steadfast on AJ being the PG? That’s absolute malpractice.

What has Jackson done to prove that he is ready to be THE primary ball handler on a team in the big East?
If Jackson takes a similar leap this year as he took last year, he could be a good PG/PF. By all accounts he works extremely hard and I expect him to improve a lot

with that being said, no way Hurley is turning away a starting caliber PG

Reaction Score
I am starting to think that Akok could be a big piece for us next year, while he may not do everything whalley did, it seems like not even a question that he is a better fit with sanogo then whaley was
If Akok can show any semblance of physicality when it comes to defense and rebounding to go with the shooting he’s already got, he’s definitely a great piece with Sanogo

E: and ditto for Samson. Although we obviously know less about his shot compared to Akok.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
eh I think there's potential that next years team shares a lot more minutes than this years.

There's always that potential but reality almost always squashes spread out minutes.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think we should go off of the premise that Hurley will have a 9-man roster. For the most part, that is what he had this year.

My guess is that he gets Castle to reclassify and redshirt this year, leaving us with 12 scholarships.
Springs with be the #12 guy.

My guess:
Sanogo
Jackson
Stud transfer
Hawkins
Stud transfer

Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Karaban
Johnson

Akok
Springs
Meh transfer

Castle

Reaction Score
Do you think it might be easier to assess the talent of a guy who's played 1-3 years of college basketball than it is to assess a kid who was playing HS ball? Just a bit?
Well he wasn’t very good at assessing Jalen Gaffney who he saw every day playing college basketball,.. because he sure seemed to be planning on him being (at worst) a solid backup this past season and likely the starting PG next year. And don’t be so sure that the guys available in the portal are coming off of 25-30 mins/game seasons. There’s generally a reason why guys are in the portal in the first place - and it’s usually (not always). because they didn’t get a chance to play as much as they thought they should.

The full fledged panic may be a bit overly pessimistic, but the “don’t worry, we’re upgrading” feels pretty premature this evening.

Reaction Score
Whether you (or anyone likes it or not) AJ will be the starting PG next year. I for one hope there is at least one pure PG who can shoot who transfers to UConn just in case Hurley's vision has some spotting in it.
?

Reaction Score
I think we should go off of the premise that Hurley will have a 9-man roster. For the most part, that is what he had this year.

My guess is that he gets Castle to reclassify and redshirt this year, leaving us with 12 scholarships.
Springs with be the #12 guy.

My guess:
Sanogo
Jackson
Stud transfer
Hawkins
Stud transfer

Clingan
Floyd Jr.
Karaban
Johnson

Akok
Springs
Meh transfer

Castle
I just came to the end of this thread thinking of the Castle thing. A Castle reclass might explain some guards jumping. But not if he redshirts.

Reaction Score
Not surprised by Gaff leaving. How could he trust Coach Hurley would play him next season more than 6 minutes a game. There are many words spoken about culture etc but your eyes tell you based on what happened this year the best move for Gaff was moving to another program. The players have more control over their careers now and that is good for them. It is the reality of College ball that you are recruited over every year. Having to sit on the bench due to your choice of school as a high school senior as your career moves on is now hopefully over for players that find the right fit if they transfer.
He absolutely could not trust Hurley to play him more then 6 minutes a game. Hurley wants to play at a very high level and that’s not going to happen with gaffney. He’s a low division 1 or division 2 player.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well he wasn’t very good at assessing Jalen Gaffney who he saw every day playing college basketball,.. because he sure seemed to be planning on him being (at worst) a solid backup this past season and likely the starting PG next year. And don’t be so sure that the guys available in the portal are coming off of 25-30 mins/game seasons. There’s generally a reason why guys are in the portal in the first place - and it’s usually (not always). because they didn’t get a chance to play as much as they thought they should.

The full fledged panic may be a bit overly pessimistic, but the “don’t worry, we’re upgrading” feels pretty premature this evening.

Not sure why you think Hurley came into this past season thinking Gaffney would be anything more than a decent backup or that he'd be a starter next season. He recruited Diggins over him. I think he was hoping Gaffney would show some improvement.

Reaction Score
Players want to play, it’s why they transfer. Any reason to worry about any others on the team who rode the bench last year?
How about Richie springs. I think he has been on scholarship for 3 years.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
All these AJ will be PG next year people. Who wants to put their money where their mouth is. The UConn foundation is always looking for money.

Reaction Score
How could Diggins be a surprise? Guy needed Mapquest to find the floor and his coach basically said he wasn’t that good. I’m surprised he isn’t announce it in January.
You're right, he didn't play. But he was a freshman playing in the oldest league in the country on a team packed with veterans that, up until the last two games of the season, was having an extremely successful year. There was an obvious path to legit PT next year as well. I wasn't blown away that he transferred, but I wasn't expecting it in the same way I was Gaffney.

That said, I'm not looking to argue about something that is subjective here. If you object to my opinion that Diggins transferring was more surprising and disappointing than Gaffney transferring, that's totally cool with me.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
You're right, he didn't play. But he was a freshman playing in the oldest league in the country on a team packed with veterans that, up until the last two games of the season, was having an extremely successful year. There was an obvious path to legit PT next year as well. I wasn't blown away that he transferred, but I wasn't expecting it in the same way I was Gaffney.

That said, I'm not looking to argue about something that is subjective here. If you object to my opinion that Diggins transferring was more surprising and disappointing than Gaffney transferring, that's totally cool with me.
Neither is surprising. Diggins is more disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom