Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Players want to play, it’s why they transfer. Any reason to worry about any others on the team who rode the bench last year?

Reaction Score
It's 2022. The transfer portal is everything now.
So the same coach who recruited these freshman, and they became basically walk-ons with the time they played. That coach's judgement of talent is going to bring in all these wonderful transformative players? Hey, by the way I have a bridge I am trying to sell you...

Reaction Score
So the same coach who recruited these freshman, and they became basically walk-ons with the time they played. That coach's judgement of talent is going to bring in all these wonderful transformative players? Hey, by the way I have a bridge I am trying to sell you...
Your 2 cents are becoming less valuable the more you post

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Do you think it might be easier to assess the talent of a guy who's played 1-3 years of college basketball than it is to assess a kid who was playing HS ball? Just a bit?

Reaction Score
They should reinstate the year sit rule. It’s not healthy for the game to have this many kids in the portal and it absolutely benefits the bigger name schools.
Not sure you can reinstate the sit rule, but as to your other point, helping the P5 helps ratings and the NCAA and leagues make a lot of money on broadcast rights......so that is really the name of the game today.

Reaction Score
I am starting to think that Akok could be a big piece for us next year, while he may not do everything whalley did, it seems like not even a question that he is a better fit with sanogo then whaley was

Probably a decent amount of minutes at backup 5 available. We may still go big on occasion, matchup dependent, but if Hurley is to be believed, the 4 will be held down by Jackson (defensively).

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not the one people (me) are worried about
I don't think Sanogo is going pro if that is what you are worried about. He won't make an NBA roster. He needs one more year to really shine and that will land him a contract with a Euroleague side.

Reaction Score
For all of you who blame DH for missing on RD, keep in mind that Diggins was apparently fooling other coaches and the recruiting services all at the same time. "Diggins, who chose UConn over Villanova, Kansas, Florida, Seton Hall and others...". Per 247 he was #59 nationally and the 10th best PG. Plus, a little early to call it a miss since he's only played one season. Maybe he ends up in the NBA, maybe nowhere in particular, but it's a little early to call him a failure. Unless we're all descendants of Nostradamus, we have no clue how his college career will turn out and basing our assessments on a failed freshman season isn't ideal.
Good luck to JG & RD. Here's hoping we find replacements that are ready to contribute.
Nostradamus was my great, great, etc. uncle and I can say unequivocally that RD will become a good college player. I base that on guys like Jermaine Samuels who we whiffed on and took till his third year to figure it out but from then on was a very good player for the Novellas.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We’re worried about Samson.
Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a spot for him if he's behind Akok. He would be the 4th big guy behind Sanogo, Akok, and Clingan.

Reaction Score
I am starting to think that Akok could be a big piece for us next year, while he may not do everything whalley did, it seems like not even a question that he is a better fit with sanogo then whaley was
I also think Akok can give us something next year. I don't see him as a starter but I think he can give us a consistent 17-18mpg and score 8-9 per game. His spot up 3pt shooting is really good. He just has to figure out a way to rebound better.

It had to be tough for him since the injury and I think with another year under his belt he can flash some more of that freshman year potential

Reaction Score
Last year, the vast majority of 4* and 5*'s guards that transferred went from P6 to P6. A handful transferred to a G5 program. For 3 stars and below, the numbers seem all over the place as you would expect. But, like football, there is not a significant number of players moving from lower level programs to P6 programs.

Cole was a rare exception, so I would expect the guards UConn will target in the portal are already on P6 rosters and are transferring due to a coaching change, playing time, or poor team performance.
Hawkins at Creighton came from D2 and had a great year.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not sure if there is a spot for him if he's behind Akok. He would be the 4th big guy behind Sanogo, Akok, and Clingan.
Odd man out is either Akok or Clingan. You can't play everybody but we're all hoping Samson sticks it out, and DH gives him a legitimate shot.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
He won't be behind Akok and Clingan and him won't be splitting minutes
He needs to develop an 18 footer if he wants to stay in front of Akok.

Reaction Score
Good catch. RJ did everything he could . Much respect. But in the end, 2 3rd place finishes in the BigEast and 2 first round exits to lower seeds. He maxed his deal for sure.
This season wound up like it did because of the head coach and his roster construction. RJ did all he could but playing 2 non shooter/athletes which made the game plan for our opponents easy, gave us no chance to win at the end of the season. Culture!

Reaction Score
He needs to develop an 18 footer if he wants to stay in front of Akok.
I think if we're going to complain about Hurley playing freshman, Johnson has to be the real complaint and not keeping CFJR and Rashool on the bench. I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there. I know it's stupid but I feel like he really can be something good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom