Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man, people on here really don’t like Andre’s game. Hurley is putting is trust in him and I’m all for it. Count me in the camp that believes Ajax can be a really great PG for us.

He is OUR guy. And we are lucky to have him imo. He has his flaws but he may turn out to be something really really special for us. IMO his ceiling is high enough that you take the gamble on him.

You guys should be more positive about what we have. Andre is a special dude
if he tightens his handles and fixes the to ratio, he's a serious nba prospect

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Andre will be a great PG. Those who can’t see that don’t see how high is ceiling is.

He can be an NBA PG if he learns to get his shot off a bit quicker. Everything else is there and his size and athleticism, other PG’s cannot match it

His game is easy to like but we need a lot more production and a lot fewer "nice flashes".

In Feb/March he averaged 5.6/5.5/3.4 and shot 37.5% from the floor. It's just not great, yet. We are throwing around the idea of a massive increase in his role and responsibilities. I love him as a secondary playmaker but I think we're in deep crap if he's our starting point guard.

This actually terrifies me. I’m a big AJ fan, and I wouldn’t mind him getting some minutes at the point, but he’s a long way away from being a starting point guard.

If you look at my post history you know I'm being sarcastic. I'm horrified if he is the person that will be given the keys to run the team. I don't mind him in Point forward position like D-ham but I want a real PG who can create for other while keeping defenders honest by looking for their own shot.

Jackson has PG attributes, like vision. But he's lacking PG skill and experience in a couple areas. He doesn't have the handle or savvy running a pick and roll, for one. That's one of the main things our roster is currently lacking and developing PnR reads is generally a skill built up over lots of repetition and instinct, so unlikely to develop over one summer. It also relies on a foundation of ballhandling and driving, which is not his forte either.

Jackson, if he were going to be in a distributor in our offense, will likely operate in a different/more creative manner. But we still need that pick and roll ballhandler for many situations. We absolutely need someone in the portal who has PnR savvy.
If Andre is our starting point guard next season it will be by necessity, not design.

Any suggestion otherwise is complete fiction imo.

Reaction Score
Welp, only waiting to see/hear if Sampson will stay. I predicted Gaffney and Rashool.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Catching up on this thread but I'll leave this here.

To paraphrase, we were a two time first round losing NCAA team with the players who are transferring out or graduating. i think we can be at least as good as that with the players who will back fill those schollies.

Reaction Score
Do you consider Cole and Martin Huskies? They were transfers.
I, for one, consider them true Huskies.

This is the way of the NCAA now. We can certainly bring in instant impact guys who also have 2, or more, years of eligibility.
2 years for Martin and Cole make them more 'Husky' in my eyes than 1 year Miller and Gibbs so yeah. Plus they were both Hurley guys. And 2 years is a lot more than 1 when it comes to a 4 year sport.

I know it's the way of the NCAA, I just dislike it. You're right though, I'm hoping that we have a 2 year guy like TM or RJ. It

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. That would be suicide. Hurley has no idea of who he gets on transfer market yet.

I'm guessing even in the transfer portal you can swap Diggins and Gaffney and do equal or better. I was really big in preseason hoping Gaffney could contribute. By the time he fell the third time just trying to walk and dribble against no pressure, I was okay with him not playing again. Mental? Most probable. But it's still a real negative on the court when your PG knows he can't walk without falling.

Reaction Score
Next year is not a rebuild year. I will use not that word. I hope DH never utters it. You can't rebuild something that hasn't been built yet.
THIS!! Take Bill Belichick for example, the man will never rebuild, no matter what situation he is. We should make the best of what we’re in and get some transfers that deserve to wear the navy and white colors for us next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, I mean clearly we can find two players in the portal that match their production from last year - given that they didn't produce at all. That's not the point. The point is that we no longer have any point guards on the roster -- not one. We need to find someone to fill RJ's role (first team All Big East) and then we need to find some capable of back-ups.

Whether you (or anyone likes it or not) AJ will be the starting PG next year. I for one hope there is at least one pure PG who can shoot who transfers to UConn just in case Hurley's vision has some spotting in it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Next year is not a rebuild year. I will use not that word. I hope DH never utters it. You can't rebuild something that hasn't been built yet.
Hurley won’t utter it before the season because we’re trying to sell seats and that won’t help.

Whatever you want to call it, until we see what comes in through the portal there’s no reason to believe it will be any better than the last three seasons.

Reaction Score
Whether you (or anyone likes it or not) AJ will be the starting PG next year. I for one hope there is at least one pure PG who can shoot who transfers to UConn just in case Hurley's vision has some spotting in it.
Spotting in Hurley’s vision? Never!

Reaction Score
True. But he had a NC, conference tourney title and final as well. Just saying it seems like we’re giving a much longer leash with Hurley than Ollie and everyone seems content with it
Ollie's teams were unwatchable in his last years. Zero intensity and desire. Hurley's teams are intense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson has PG attributes, like vision. But he's lacking PG skill and experience in a couple areas. He doesn't have the handle or savvy running a pick and roll, for one. That's one of the main things our roster is currently lacking and developing PnR reads is generally a skill built up over lots of repetition and instinct, so unlikely to develop over one summer. It also relies on a foundation of ballhandling and driving, which is not his forte either.

Jackson, if he were going to be in a distributor in our offense, will likely operate in a different/more creative manner. But we still need that pick and roll ballhandler for many situations. We absolutely need someone in the portal who has PnR savvy.

Jackson has great court vision. He is marginal with court awareness. He's almost like the QB with a million dollar arm who thinks he can throw a pass anywhere on the field. And not aware that well scouted and coached defenses leave those seams to egg the QB in to throwing that exact pass. Too often AJ would see an open player but didn't/couldn't make the right pass to get it to the player. Result? TO. Knowing which pass to make is the biggest thing he needs to improve if UConn is running their offense through him regardless of whehter or not he is listed as the PG.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Didn’t you make the same declaration about Gaffney before last season?

Yes, but I learned from that mistake. While Hurley was saying positions were up for competition he also kept mentioning Cole getting minutes. DH has now mentioned AJ as one of three key players for next year and is staying consistent with AJ being an NBA PG. We also saw AJ take on more of the PG load throughout this season.
I phrased it a bit differently in another post. UConn's offense will oftentimes be run through AJ next year regardless of which position he is listed as playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom