Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This should be the criticism. Everyone whiffs on recruits. He whiffed on two straight at the same position. That should raise eyebrows. Let's see how he plugs the holes.

Of course you come with the measured well thought out takes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
True. But he had a NC, conference tourney title and final as well. Just saying it seems like we’re giving a much longer leash with Hurley than Ollie and everyone seems content with it

Ollie had probably the two worst seasons at UConn since the 70s back to back before he was fired. If Hurley has a season that bad this upcoming year I don't think you need to worry, he'll be gone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sound logic until you remember that the guy who recruited them is the one who is going to be the one to find people to replace them and he’s now shopping the discount aisle.

Not really.

Watch how many kids in the portal are out of college basketball next season. The portal is the greatest sleight of hand ever in college sports. Biggest function of the portal is to convey players downward and the ones already near the bottom are conveyed out.
That’s definitely a function, but I don’t know if it’s the biggest one. The biggest one is to ease the movement of successful players from lesser programs to better programs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This actually terrifies me. I’m a big AJ fan, and I wouldn’t mind him getting some minutes at the point, but he’s a long way away from being a starting point guard.
It would concern me more in a different era. The point guard role isn't what it used to be. Teams looking to generate offense with off the ball movement and passing rather than have it come through one guy. No matter who is the "PG" a lot of our offense is going to flow through Jackson. The biggest issue is defending opposing PGs, and I think AJ can handle most of them.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
For all of you who blame DH for missing on RD, keep in mind that Diggins was apparently fooling other coaches and the recruiting services all at the same time. "Diggins, who chose UConn over Villanova, Kansas, Florida, Seton Hall and others...". Per 247 he was #59 nationally and the 10th best PG. Plus, a little early to call it a miss since he's only played one season. Maybe he ends up in the NBA, maybe nowhere in particular, but it's a little early to call him a failure. Unless we're all descendants of Nostradamus, we have no clue how his college career will turn out and basing our assessments on a failed freshman season isn't ideal.
Good luck to JG & RD. Here's hoping we find replacements that are ready to contribute.

Reaction Score
He does not cherish possession of the ball and is way to reckless. He would be a very good point forward who is the #2 guy in regards to distribution.
What are you talking about? He won’t cherish the possession? He can play POINT forward but not POINT guard? In either scenario he’d be the point and it’s pretty much semantics beyond that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That’s definitely a function, but I don’t know if it’s the biggest one. The biggest one is to ease the movement of successful players from lesser programs to better programs.

If you look at football, something like 35-40% of P5 transfers did not have a spot as of Februry something and like 20-25% of those who did dropped to FSC. I am sure some have landed since then, but can you imagine what the numbers are for the G5 and lower?

Reaction Score
I think this begs the question (excluding Whaley and Polley who had to leave anyway) does the departure of Cole, Martin, Gaffney, and Diggins cast a bad impression on Hurley, that something is not "right" with the program?
I think this is showing the right direction for Hurley and the program.

Reaction Score
Yeah. He went out and got Kwintin Williams, Antwoine Anderson, David Onuorah, Sidney Wilson and Eric Cobb.

Didn't exactly work out.
On an unrelated note to this thread, that clown, Oz, was hosting a Twitter space yesterday “UConn MBB coaching search” complaining about Hurley’s recruiting. I couldn’t unmute fast enough to ask if we should go back to recruiting the likes of Dave Onourah, Cobb & Kwintin Williams off Instagram, like his guy was doing at the end of his tenure.

As for Gaffney, I wish him well. This will benefit us for next year. However, it makes me even more upset about Diggins leaving. It is what it is. I’d absolutely love Miller from Illinois/LSU, and 2 older guards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you look at football, something like 35-40% of P5 transfers did not have a spot as of Februry something and like 20-25% of those who did dropped to FSC. I am sure some have landed since then, but can you imagine what the numbers are for the G5 and

I don’t dispute any of that but it’s like panning for gold. Panning for gold is an extraordinarily efficient method to get non-gold particles in a pile of sludge. In fact the vast majority of the stuff that gets panned ends up there, but that’s not its purpose.

Reaction Score
Seriously. How many Hurley haters who were saying "we can't rely on Gaffney or Diggins as our PG" are now also saying "Gaffney and Diggins leaving is a catastrophe"?
Exactly. Could it be catastrophic that neither worked out and we're left with no PG right now? Yes. But we were left with no quality starting or quality backup PG if they stayed either.

They're separate issues and people are conflating the two

Reaction Score
On an unrelated note to this thread, that clown, Oz, was hosting a Twitter space yesterday “UConn MBB coaching search” complaining about Hurley’s recruiting. I couldn’t unmute fast enough to ask if we should go back to recruiting the likes of Dave Onourah, Cobb & Kwintin Williams off Instagram, like his guy was doing at the end of his tenure.

As for Gaffney, I wish him well. This will benefit us for next year. However, it makes me even more upset about Diggins leaving. It is what it is. I’d absolutely love Miller from Illinois/LSU, and 2 older guards.
I forgot all about him. I can't imagine wanting to follow him on Twitter lol

Reaction Score
You don’t hold an impromptu media availability like that unless you’re trying to get ahead of bad news. Buckle up.
Seemed to me that DH was trying to get ahead of some narrative/news by making himself available when he did.. I'm sure he was encouraged by AD Dave to do so.

As they say in the business world.. Make a friend of change.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
For all of you who blame DH for missing on RD, keep in mind that Diggins was apparently fooling other coaches and the recruiting services all at the same time. "Diggins, who chose UConn over Villanova, Kansas, Florida, Seton Hall and others...". Per 247 he was #59 nationally and the 10th best PG. Plus, a little early to call it a miss since he's only played one season. Maybe he ends up in the NBA, maybe nowhere in particular, but it's a little early to call him a failure. Unless we're all descendants of Nostradamus, we have no clue how his college career will turn out and basing our assessments on a failed freshman season isn't ideal.
Good luck to JG & RD. Here's hoping we find replacements that are ready to contribute.

A school can offer a kid without recruiting them heavily. We only recruit a fraction of the kids we give offers to. I don't recall Bill Self coming to watch a bunch of Rahsool's games.

I'm not saying it's definite that these big schools didn't have legitimate interest, but just saying "Kansas and Villanova offered" isn't enough to prove that a kid is a good player.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Oh man I was in there too. I hope you stayed for the literal screaming match between Oz, his pal, and T God from Villanova.

Nothing like telling a 20 year old on Twitter that you banged his mom. The Ollie clan is a gift that never stops giving.

Reaction Score
Oh man I was in there too. I hope you stayed for the literal screaming match between Oz, his pal, and T God from Villanova.

Nothing like telling a 20 year old on Twitter that you banged his mom. The Ollie clan is a gift that never stops giving.
I may or may not have gotten into the mud with those clowns in that space yesterday too...they're all so stupid it's fun to mess with them

Reaction Score
Best of luck to him. Now let's go build a monster back court with a fresh start
As long as parents and player supporters don’t see any tape of DH on the sidelines, the Huskies are golden in the portal.

Reaction Score
And for those who treat recruit ratings as gospel, go take a look at the top 30 recruits from each of the past 5 years. Half the names aren't even recognizable because they flamed out. There's no guarantees with these ratings

Reaction Score
The "discount aisle" comment tells me that people are still scarred by the Ollie experience. Plenty of teams took big leaps this year by shopping at the same discount aisle. If he can't get anyone, or the guys he does get are terrible, I'll be the first to say it's starting to fall apart.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A school can offer a kid without recruiting them heavily. We only recruit a fraction of the kids we give offers to. I don't recall Bill Self coming to watch a bunch of Rahsool's games.

I'm not saying it's definite that these big schools didn't have legitimate interest, but just saying "Kansas and Villanova offered" isn't enough to prove that a kid is a good player.
Yep. Both Diggins and Gaffney were offered by most of the major schools in the northeast but we were really the only school that prioritized them and we didn’t prioritize Gaffney until it was clear we were off the mark with Wong.

Reaction Score
If you look at football, something like 35-40% of P5 transfers did not have a spot as of Februry something and like 20-25% of those who did dropped to FSC. I am sure some have landed since then, but can you imagine what the numbers are for the G5 and lower?
Last year, the vast majority of 4* and 5*'s guards that transferred went from P6 to P6. A handful transferred to a G5 program. For 3 stars and below, the numbers seem all over the place as you would expect. But, like football, there is not a significant number of players moving from lower level programs to P6 programs.

Cole was a rare exception, so I would expect the guards UConn will target in the portal are already on P6 rosters and are transferring due to a coaching change, playing time, or poor team performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom