Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jackson may not be a PG, but to suggest he's not a ball handler or initiator is absurd.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying those are the holes that we need to fill with the PG slots.

Reaction Score
Hope everyone spinning this is right but not feeling warm and fuzzy with the state of the program at this very moment. Really need to hope the portal works out … as well as some of these freshman.
That’s fine. But given how expansive the portal is, and the countless success stories we saw on rosters this year, there’s a clear reason me (and many others) are cautiously optimistic that we’ll come out better at the end of this offseason.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah. He went out and got Kwintin Williams, Antwoine Anderson, David Onuorah, Sidney Wilson and Eric Cobb.

Didn't exactly work out.
True. But he had a NC, conference tourney title and final as well. Just saying it seems like we’re giving a much longer leash with Hurley than Ollie and everyone seems content with it

Reaction Score
think most people on the same page here... all wish Gaffney and Diggins the best

NO ONE can reasonably predict whether Jackson will become a great, primary PG for an entire season

NO ONE can reasonably predict who we land in the portal, but we can remain optimistic we bring in some pieces

all have to trust Hurley and staff (no choice here since we dont control the program)... but can agree things not super peachy right now, especially if DH is going to start pitching this as a rebuilding year. he's done some positive things, but has also been very disappointing

lets not fall into extreme rhetorical predictions

Reaction Score
True. But he had a NC, conference tourney title and final as well. Just saying it seems like we’re giving a much longer leash with Hurley than Ollie and everyone seems content with it
Because the trends were completely opposite directions, one is trending up every season and the other started off with those accolades you list and then stopped doing his job

Reaction Score
Do you really get it?

Reaction Score
Man, people on here really don’t like Andre’s game. Hurley is putting is trust in him and I’m all for it. Count me in the camp that believes Ajax can be a really great PG for us.

His game is easy to like but we need a lot more production and a lot fewer "nice flashes".

In Feb/March he averaged 5.6/5.5/3.4 and shot 37.5% from the floor. It's just not great, yet. We are throwing around the idea of a massive increase in his role and responsibilities. I love him as a secondary playmaker but I think we're in deep crap if he's our starting point guard.

Reaction Score
Well they're completely different scenarios and the situations aren't comparable at all. So I don't think it's unreasonable that they're being handled and perceived differently. And I mean there's also the fact that Ollie was at UConn longer than Hurley has been here

But sure otherwise everything is exactly the same and you're definitely not trying to push some agenda that everyone else seems to have gotten over

Reaction Score
You are asking a guy who never played a true PG on the college level to now assume that primary role in a Top D1 program?
Being handed the ball at the top of the key is not a PG maybe a point forward which is what happened last season.
But if he is a PG and I am the other team, I am in his jock everytime he brings the ball up from underneath the opposition's hoop.
That would be a what a PG does and I don't think in a million years he could do that consistently.

Reaction Score
The winning percentage has gone up every year under Hurley. Ollie's first two years were his best, and his last two were flat out awful.

Reaction Score
I kind of disagree, Ollie was fired after not making the tournament 3 years in a row correct? I have to imagine if Hurley misses next two years he will not get a chance to make it three in a row

Reaction Score
With all due respect, you and the guy who coaches high school (?) are mistaken. The movement is overwhelmingly downward in both sports.

Didn't we just see a Baylor backcourt win the championship with 2 transfer guards in Teague and Mitchell. Where would UNC be without Manek? Where would KU be without Remy Martin? Last time I checked Gonzaga's starting backcourt was transfers. The front runner for national player of the year a transfer on Kentucky! The times have changed, catch up or stay out of the discussion.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie nearly relegated this program into a Division 3 rec league. Hurley cleaned up his disaster. Our record for next year is 0-0 right now, idk how you can say things have gotten worse with a straight face.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie nearly relegated this program into a Division 3 rec league. Hurley cleaned up his disaster. Our record for next year is 0-0 right now, idk how you can say things have gotten worse with a straight face.

Do you think that just maybe, changing the transfer rule so that players don't have to sit out broadens the pool of talent? Half a dozen great teams this year were entirely built on transfers. You have KO ptsd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom