It's not coaching | Page 12 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Counterpoint, look at this year's team. During conference play Karaban and Clingan have been 2 of the few players have looked like they belong. I think Ross and Singare will need time, but I expect Ball, Castle, Stewart to all contribute
You never know. It could go either way.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go ahead and continue to disagree with the thread title, here's this "gem":

“I thought I did a poor job coaching the guys in the second half, offensively in particular,” Murray said. “We talked about it at halftime. We knew that Seton Hall was gonna pick up the pressure in the second half, and we didn’t do a good job of handling it.”

Mea culpa ain't enough here.

Reaction Score
I haven’t made a comparison at all. Tyrese would be huge for us this year, but that doesn’t mean diddly squat. He ain’t here.
bouk's penetration or cole's general competence would be exponentially more helpful to this team than tyrese.

after 5 years bouk and cole, and now clingan, are the only 3 hurley recruits that i'd confidently start in a tourney game....

2 years ago we had all 3 of cole / bouk / martin yet we got bounced in the first round, so i cant include martin too.

by next year karaban will likely become the 4th guy on my list. hopefully castle will be the 5th.

but based on these results, either hurley's recruiting has been overrated or he's not developing his recruits to their potential.

Reaction Score
Leads the team in scoring and rebounds. Clingan should be on the court with him, not instead of him. ~ 25 min each.
So Sanogo pretty much was at his season averages yesterday (16 points, 5 rebound). Do you think he played a good game?

his numbers are misleading.

Three times yesterday he had the ball in the paint while being double teamed and refused to pass out to open shooters with no defender nearby. The first time Karaban was virtually begging for the pass. 9 potential points lost because he didn’t make the right basketball play. I think he works hard and has some great moves near the basket but his other skills are lacking and it hurts the team.

By the way Clingan had 6 rebounds in 12 minutes while Sanogo had 5 in 28 minutes.

Sanogo would be a very good second fiddle but you can’t build a team around his skill set. He could be the man if he had better passing skills and knew when to pass out and when to get his own.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go ahead and continue to disagree with the thread title, here's this "gem":

“I thought I did a poor job coaching the guys in the second half, offensively in particular,” Murray said. “We talked about it at halftime. We knew that Seton Hall was gonna pick up the pressure in the second half, and we didn’t do a good job of handling it.”

Sounds exactly like the Hurley

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So Sanogo pretty much was at his season averages yesterday (16 points, 5 rebound). Do you think he played a good game?

his numbers are misleading.

Three times yesterday he had the ball in the paint while being double teamed and refused to pass out to open shooters with no defender nearby. The first time Karaban was virtually begging for the pass. 9 potential points lost because he didn’t make the right basketball play. I think he works hard and has some great moves near the basket but his other skills are lacking and it hurts the team.

By the way Clingan had 6 rebounds in 12 minutes while Sanogo had 5 in 28 minutes.

Sanogo would be a very good second fiddle but you can’t build a team around his skill set. He could be the man if he had better passing skills and knew when to pass out and when to get his own.
Not sure if the staff has ever gone up to Sanogo and said, “When you’re double or triple teamed, pass the ball.”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yep they both came to mind, few others in there too like Tyus Jones. Definitely the hope is he’s ready to go from day 1. But they definitely need to surround him with better, experienced guards and wings.
Getting Hawkins back would be a huge step towards that. I know everyone is pretty down on Andre right now, but hopefully after a year of having it be on him he’ll wake up that he really needs to take overall scoring seriously and work on that over the summer.

Reaction Score
Getting Hawkins back would be a huge step towards that. I know everyone is pretty down on Andre right now, but hopefully after a year of having it be on him he’ll wake up that he really needs to take overall scoring seriously and work on that over the summer.
Thought that was what he supposed to work on this summer - he's heading into his Senior year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Thought that was what he supposed to work on this summer - he's heading into his Senior year.
Man who you telling. It seems like he just worked on being able to shoot an occasional three and that was literally it. Didn’t give one thought to the rest of his offensive game.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
A bit tongue-in-cheek here but maybe Kimani is the only coach worth a damn in game?

I'm ready to forget this one and move on to Butler, now that one... if we lose I may just end up getting that new TV I want.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

At least Murray owned up to it.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Calipari but I think this is spot on regarding mental toughness - it's not hanging your head it's fighting back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seton hall is a pretty bad team offensively. I don’t even know what we do anymore.
I read your post and went scurrying for the game overview. I looked at the attached and thought it D be helpful to post. I Reread your post and I'm not sure why I thought it applied. Might be that Seton Hall's shooting, rebounds, and assists didn't look at that impressive, especially after the better percentages in the 4 other losses.

Steals, blocks, and turnovers? OUCH

Screenshot_20230119-182908.png

Reaction Score
Funny thing is that they all did in the preseason.
Funny indeed. Whose in charge of packing their lunches?

Jokes aside, I'm talking about a Jeff Adrien / Kevin Freeman type.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is coaching. This team has plenty of talent, and while maybe 18-2 was a bit optimistic, there is enough talent for 15 or 16 Big East wins on this squad. The coach is blowing a potentially great season.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I do think there’s some merit to the fact that we need to calm down, take a deep breath, as a team. The anxious energy that Hurley and Jackson bring may be causing us to foul too much on defense and turn it over too much on offense. That we need Hurley to transform back into the calm collected coach he was for the first 14 games.

And why are we playing so much in the half court now, transition play, particularly transition shooting was what we did best the first half of the season. Are guys wearing down?

Reaction Score
I do think there’s some merit to the fact that we need to calm down, take a deep breath, as a team. The anxious energy that Hurley and Jackson bring may be causing us to foul too much on defense and turn it over too much on offense. That we need Hurley to transform back into the calm collected coach he was for the first 14 games.

And why are we playing so much in the half court now, transition play, particularly transition shooting was what we did best the first half of the season. Are guys wearing down?
With our depth why don’t we press more to speed up tempo and get easier baskets or threes in transition. Put Clingan in the back to protect the basket if the opponent breaks the press

Reaction Score
I remember last season or maybe the year before Bob Sr. was at one of our games and was interviewed in the stands. He was asked if he gives his son advice/feedback on our team and the HOF’r answered “No, he doesn’t ask for it.” I found that shocking and very telling about Danny and some of his possible character traits that have already been mentioned here: stubborn, resistant to change, etc. If ever there was a need for changes it’s now. And it always starts with Coaching.

Reaction Score
We need to push the tempo to hide our weakness at PG.
That’s how we end up giving up tons of offensive rebounds and second chance points. It’s also part of how we have been turning the ball over so much and in such bone-headed fashion, especially last night. The collective BBIQ isn’t there. They get nervous and start trying to push the tempo, and mistakes are made and rebounds are neglected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom