It's not coaching | Page 11 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

Reaction Score
I knew that it was coming. Many reminded me by re-posting the Hurley postgame presser from a few years ago. I just didn’t think it would come and go so quickly.

This team has a lot of talent and a few glaring deficiencies. The problem is that players and staff alike don’t seem willing to address those deficiencies, and it will cost this team dearly.

Hurley has his own bag of coach-speak, just not as catchy as “ten toes in” and “no escalators”, and it’s beginning to lose luster and credibility, just as it did with our previous head coach. A lot of empty words. If we are in “we season”, as he likes to describe, why is it so apparent (to me) that a few players, one in particular, play like they’re in the middle of “me season”?

I’ve said it before and it bears repeating. There’s no accountability on this squad. Make bonehead plays? Show less than complete effort? Cost the team a win? Get rewarded with playing time. Zero consequences. It’s human nature. People don’t stop taking short cuts and don’t start exerting more effort when they know they won’t be held accountable. This team came out in the second half and decided they didn’t need to match Seton Hall’s increased intensity and physicality. They literally couldn’t get stops. Or, they felt it wasn’t critical to get stops.

One other consequence - if this team absolutely implodes the rest of the season - the Hurley recruiting momentum, which has been moving at the speed of that runaway subway car in The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (RIP Walter Matthau), will stall out. And that’s no bueno for Hurley and the fans thru the term of his contract.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I heard Calhoun had this drill where guys would take it as hard as possible to the rim and the other guy would try to block it. We need to bring that one back too for guys to learn how to go up strong.

Not attaching the article because the article itself is BS.

His signature practice play was to have each player dunk from the baseline as another tried to block the attempt. Who else would do this? Who would be crazy enough to try it? Every day the bodies crashed to the floor, then everybody picked themselves up and tried it again.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We didn't lose the game in the final 2 seconds, we lost it by squandering a 14 pt lead in the first 10 of the 2nd half and then went into chaos mode. These guys didn't forget how to play, they panicked (coaching), lost focus (coaching), played chaotically (coaching) and made 0 field goals in the final 7 minutes (we couldn't design 1 scoring play?) Holloway sniffed it out by saying "they got nothin", SH turned up the heat and we melted like butter. What we're seeing is guys wound too tight, whose roles are unclear, and a team in total disarray. Heads hanging, missing bunnies, not banging at all. Hurleys teams can't close I've been seeing it for 5 years. The more important the game the greater the chance of us choking. Losing to New Mexico State last year was the culmination (all coaching).
Good synopsis

Reaction Score
The players 1000% deserve blame, but don't act like the gameplan was perfect and they didn't execute. 90% of the game was guys standing there and doing the same stuff that leads to losses. Also if you see your guys are missing wide open shots and creating horrible plays CRAZY IDEA HERE hold them accountable, use subs, change their roles/responsibilities

Reaction Score
Nobody on this team carries a lunch pail. Should have gotten one of those through the portal

Reaction Score
This X 1,000
Did Danny also do this to his URI teams that went 24-9 & 25-7 and won 2 tournament games as lower seeds his last 2 years there? Genuinely asking.

Reaction Score
Did Danny also do this to his URI teams that went 24-9 & 25-7 and won 2 tournament games as lower seeds his last 2 years there? Genuinely asking.
We know he is effective as the hunter. We have yet to find out if he is effective as the hunted. Some coaches are better in “Underdog” situations(ie Shaka Smart).

The issue? UConn ain’t an underdog situation.

Reaction Score
If your AJax how you only take 4 shots. He passes way to much and at times it causes a turnover. This just isn't the same team as earlier in the season because other teams are getting use to there style of play. For some reason they can't defend or rebound anymore and if Hawkins struggles it's hard for them to score.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yeah it's not coaching or whatever else 95% of these posts are saying. We were up by 15 points in the second half and lost. That is mentally weak, the end. The team folded. We didn't know how to hit 3s, rebound, box out, play defense etc. and then forget at the end of the game. The team was punched in the mouth and wasn't able to respond. You could argue that is coaching or on the players or whatever it doesn't really matter. Whether it's the coaches or players someone needs to look around say we are softer than playdoh and we need to actually show up and fight.

At the beginning of the season when we were destroying teams if you watched a lot of basketball you had to wonder what would it look like when we got punched in the mouth as a team how would we respond.... Well we've found out. This is a fixable issue or it isn't we'll find out. This really isn't about basketball it's about will. SH out willed us, that is really the way you lose a 14 point lead against a team that can't shoot the 3 ball and you out rebound.

Reaction Score
Yeah it's not coaching or whatever else 95% of these posts are saying. We were up by 15 points in the second half and lost. That is mentally weak, the end. The team folded. We didn't know how to hit 3s, rebound, box out, play defense etc. and then forget at the end of the game. The team was punched in the mouth and wasn't able to respond. You could argue that is coaching or on the players or whatever it doesn't really matter. Whether it's the coaches or players someone needs to look around say we are softer than playdoh and we need to actually show up and fight.

At the beginning of the season when we were destroying teams if you watched a lot of basketball you had to wonder what would it look like when we got punched in the mouth as a team how would we respond.... Well we've found out. This is a fixable issue or it isn't we'll find out. This really isn't about basketball it's about will. SH out willed us, that is really the way you lose a 14 point lead against a team that can't shoot the 3 ball and you out rebound.
Ndefou punked us. You could see around the 12 minute mark SH realize how soft we were. Their confidence sky rocketed. Once teams realize all they have to do is play with a little force and physicality, we fold. It’s happened 5 out of the last 6 games. We beat Creighton because they are more finesse. Hurley questioned our toughness in the off season. He was 100% right. We miss Rese, Cole, and Whaley not because of their skill, but because no one punked them. Out skilled? Sure. But never punked. We lost 1 game by double figures last regular season. ONE.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Ndefou punked us. You could see around the 12 minute mark SH realize how soft we were. Their confidence sky rocketed. Once teams realize all they have to do is play with a little force and physicality, we fold. It’s happened 5 out of the last 6 games. We beat Creighton because they are more finesse. Hurley questioned our toughness in the off season. He was 100% right. We miss Rese, Cole, and Whaley not because of their skill, but because no one punked them. Out skilled? Sure.
But never punked
Richmond did this to us last year, he turns the corner and everyone on UConn gets out of the way. That's fine if you are funneling him to a shot blocker but we are rolling out the red carpet for a layup... Either way talking about changing the lineup etc etc doesn't matter the team isn't mentally there and that's really the issue.

Reaction Score
Richmond did this to us last year, he turns the corner and everyone on UConn gets out of the way. That's fine if you are funneling him to a shot blocker but we are rolling out the red carpet for a layup... Either way talking about changing the lineup etc etc doesn't matter the team isn't mentally there and that's really the issue.
The last play was a microcosm of this. We messed up by not boxing out, cool. But how do you let Ndefo who is a sub par free throw shooter get that shot off without giving him the hardest legal foul you can? It’s just soft. Rap him up and make him make to high pressure free throws.

That isn’t coaching imo. That’s pride

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Part of it is coaching. Maybe a good part.

'Sounds odd, but a better coach may have more losses at this point in the season, not less.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
The last play was a microcosm of this. We messed up by not boxing out, cool. But how do you let Ndefo who is a sub par free throw shooter get that shot off without giving him the hardest legal foul you can? It’s just soft. Rap him up and make him make to high pressure free throws.

That isn’t coaching imo. That’s pride
You're right. It's not A or B, it's all of the above. All I know is that it's the exact same players and coaches laying down that lit it up earlier. Same ball, same rims, same refs.

"90% mental, and the other half is physical".

Reaction Score
Don’t have the time of inclination to read the whole thread, and I’m sure someone has already said some version of this sentiment:

How is “mental softness” NOT a reflection of leadership? How is loss of composure in big/stressful moments not on coaching and preparation?

Reaction Score
I believe that we’re more talented than most of our competition. Through in-game strategy and proper rotations, coaches are tasked with putting their players in the best position to win. In the Marquette game, we lost to a talented team who made plays down the stretch to win on their home floor. This happens and I can live with it. However, in the last two games, we’ve lost to inferior competition with limited in-game adjustments (crushed in the second half of both games) and questionable rotations. This is definitely a coaching issue. And to add flame to the fire, we had different coaches for the two games. The problem is systemic and needs to be fixed. Are these coaches capable of change? Time will tell.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Hopkins and Boum look like possible BEPOY candidates. I don't think taking transfers has anything to do with it
I never said taking transfers was the issue. But it’s undeniable that our transfers can’t compete in the Big East and hopefully our “Fab Five” can.

Reaction Score
I never said taking transfers was the issue. But it’s undeniable that our transfers can’t compete in the Big East and hopefully our “Fab Five” can.
Theyll be freshmen tho, it’s unlikely they’re ready to truly impact winning & push UConn over the top. It’s likely 2-3 of them hardly even play that much as a freshman. Maybe Castle can truly impact winning, but how many freshmen point guards are leading their teams to conference titles and deep march runs? Some, but not many. It’s really hard to do. If the season rides on Castle playing at a very high level as a true freshmen, as talented as he might be, that’s a recipe for concern for me.

Reaction Score
Theyll be freshmen tho, it’s unlikely they’re ready to truly impact winning & push UConn over the top. It’s likely 2-3 of them hardly even play that much as a freshman. Maybe Castle can truly impact winning, but how many freshmen point guards are leading their teams to conference titles and deep march runs? Some, but not many. It’s really hard to do. If the season rides on Castle playing at a very high level as a true freshmen, as talented as he might be, that’s a recipe for concern for me.
Counterpoint, look at this year's team. During conference play Karaban and Clingan have been 2 of the few players have looked like they belong. I think Ross and Singare will need time, but I expect Ball, Castle, Stewart to all contribute

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs were pretty good their freshman year fwiw.

Reaction Score
Counterpoint, look at this year's team. During conference play Karaban and Clingan have been 2 of the few players have looked like they belong. I think Ross and Singare will need time, but I expect Ball, Castle, Stewart to all contribute
Karaban redshirting I do think makes a difference, but ya they both are playing well, I’m so surprised by how good Clingan is already. Obviously that’s the hope, it’s just a tough spot for freshmen, always a level of uncertainty there. Especially with how reliant they might be on Castle at the point guard position, lot of pressure there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom