It's ASJHA! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It's ASJHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Giovanni - I agree with you..... they are obsessed over there about us, while still maintaining that they are the penultimate in WCBB to the exclusion of all comers. Their jealousy is intense.... and for this particular chapter of TN talk, the Olympic picks are blatant bias, and Geno is the puppeteer behind the scenes lending all the influence. It borders on the amusing to witness.

as there are 5 threads about tennessee right now on this board's front page......:rolleyes:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
as there are 5 threads about tennessee right now on this board's front page......:rolleyes:

And one incredibly long thread that you are a part of generally bashing Geno, UConn and the choice for the Olympic team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
your point? Pat just retired, you named a new HC, your team is poised to struggle mightily next year, and the Olympic team was just announced, where instead of congratulating Ms. Jones, most on your board melted down and got hysterical over it.

i'd say the obsession being referred to has more to do with the lunacy over there and less to do with the amount of threads. If Geno retired, UCONN named a new HC, and we were poised to drop out of the top 10 in addition to probably be 3rd or 4th in our conference, I imagine there would be quite a few threads on that as well.

the stark contrasts of the boards in tone and content is obvious and illuminating.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The number of threads says much less than difference in the tone of the threads on each board.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
And one incredibly long thread that you are a part of generally bashing Geno, UConn and the choice for the Olympic team.

What part of this am I "bashing" anyone?

According to Geno, it was a coincidence that half the team is from Uconn.

Jones concurred, saying they've been out of school for 10 years. Yet in her 10 years out of college, she's played on a total one major international team (also coached by Geno.) From that tournament she averaged a whopping 5 points per game to rank second to last above Jayne Appel and 2.3 boards to only top Bird's 2.1 and Whalen's 2.2 (those were the 2 point guards).

If they wanted a backup power forward, one player Jones beat out would have been Candice Dupree. In the same tournament, Dupree outperformed Jones in the following categories:

9.2-5.1 ppg
6.0-2.3 rpg
75-58 fg%
83-67 ft%
10-6 assists
3-10 turnovers
3-2 blocks

Geno said Jones was chosen for her ability to defend in the paint and score. The following stat must have made the difference:

Over the course of the tournament Jones had 6 steals, but Dupree only had 5. :/

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What part of this am I "bashing" anyone?

According to Geno, it was a coincidence that half the team is from Uconn.

Jones concurred, saying they've been out of school for 10 years. Yet in her 10 years out of college, she's played on a total one major international team (also coached by Geno.) From that tournament she averaged a whopping 5 points per game to rank second to last above Jayne Appel and 2.3 boards to only top Bird's 2.1 and Whalen's 2.2 (those were the 2 point guards).

If they wanted a backup power forward, one player Jones beat out would have been Candice Dupree. In the same tournament, Dupree outperformed Jones in the following categories:

9.2-5.1 ppg
6.0-2.3 rpg
75-58 fg%
83-67 ft%
10-6 assists
3-10 turnovers
3-2 blocks

Geno said Jones was chosen for her ability to defend in the paint and score. The following stat must have made the difference:

Over the course of the tournament Jones had 6 steals, but Dupree only had 5. :/

I said the thread was bashing, not specifically you. But since you were nice enough to bring your post over, your sarcastic tone about the AJ's defense is close enough.

Really, you have no leg to stand on here, defending that thread. It's pretty disgusting, including one more post trashing Maya Moore's mother. Unreal.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
You can't argue with stats. Obviously there was some sarcasm, because clearly Dupree outperformed Jones.

From last season in the league:

DUPREE
PPG 14.6
RPG 8.2
APG 1.8
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.7
FG% 0.548
FT% 0.852
3P% 0.167
MPG 31.6

JONES
PPG 13.3
RPG 6.4
APG 1.9
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.444
FT% 0.711
3P% 0.300
MPG 28.6

For their career:

Dupree-15.4 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 49% FG, 1.8 APG, 1 BPG, 1 SPG
Jones-11.3 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 45 FG%, 1.7 APG, .6 BPG, .6 SPG

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You can't argue with stats. Obviously there was some sarcasm, because clearly Dupree outperformed Jones.

DUPREE
PPG 14.6
RPG 8.2
APG 1.8
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.7
FG% 0.548
FT% 0.852
3P% 0.167
MPG 31.6

JONES
PPG 13.3
RPG 6.4
APG 1.9
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.444
FT% 0.711
3P% 0.300
MPG 28.6

For their career:

So when adjusted for MMG their stats are almost identical. Add to that that defensive play is vastly more than just steals your argument for the preference to Dupree is pretty vacant. Plus using raw statistics completely ignores what each was asked to do for their teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

DUPREE
PPG 14.6
RPG 8.2
APG 1.8
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.7
FG% 0.548
FT% 0.852
3P% 0.167
MPG 31.6

JONES
PPG 13.3
RPG 6.4
APG 1.9
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.444
FT% 0.711
3P% 0.300
MPG 28.6

For their career:

SO, now WNBA stats decide who should be on the Olympic team?

Dupree would have been a fine choice. Why are you here?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
and so you assume that because their stats are virtually identical last year that Dupree was the clear choice? oh come on - you must be kidding. and btw, you fail to note that Dupree averaged 3 minutes per game more than Jones. when you extrapolate the numbers for an entire game, then are practically even (18.6 PPG / 8.9 RPG for Jones vs. 18.4 PPG / 9.4 RPG for Dupree).

add to that Jones is 6'3", Dupree is 6'2". Add to that Jones is about 20-25 pounds heavier and able to defend bigger players better than Dupree. add to that Jones' mid-range game which is better than Dupree's. it's really a no brainer.

Dupree, Brunson, Pondexter would all have been great choices. but the choice was Jones. instead of congratulating her, your board had a meltdown. your snide sarcasm aside, it's pretty amusing actually.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

DUPREE
PPG 14.6
RPG 8.2
APG 1.8
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.7
FG% 0.548
FT% 0.852
3P% 0.167
MPG 31.6

JONES
PPG 13.3
RPG 6.4
APG 1.9
SPG 0.6
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.444
FT% 0.711
3P% 0.300
MPG 28.6

For their career:

But doesn't your board always argue that you should discount comparing stats with Phoenix Mercury players (e.g., Taurasi) because of the style of play and number of possessions? And are you seriously arguing that selection for a USA team should be based on the differential you've just presented? Wow. Asjha played in the post with the best rebounder in the WNBA for the past 2 seasons so I wouldn't expect her to have rebound stats like Dupree who is expected to be the top rebounder for her team. And referring to your post from the other board, do you really think that Dupree defends like Jones? I know of no one who would make that argument.

Dupree was a starter for USA Basketball in the World Championships and played more minutes than Asjha. But don't think for one minute that USA Basketball doesn't remember how Dupree played in the gold medal game against the Czech Republic. She started and played the first few minutes and hardly played after that. She's a very fine player, but her WC numbers were put up against the weaker competition.

And what's with this obsession over individual stats? The point is to put the best team on the court, not the best 12 players. Do you know what the Committee was looking for in the 12th player after Griner declined? Is it possible that the Committee believed it had enough post scoring and was looking for a player who could defend the post better than Dupree? Is it possible that based on her outstanding play in the 2012 European championships (MVP) that Jones is a player they can count on to show up when the most in on the line?

Reaction Score
Ericsandiego - great comments. Tnvolfan65 - good to have you over here.... it is nice to get some spirited conversation. Again, congratulations Asjha Jones on being selected to Team USA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ericsandiego - great comments. Tnvolfan65 - good to have you over here.... it is nice to get some spirited conversation. Again, congratulations Asjha Jones on being selected to Team USA.
who are you? i swear we must be related lol...;)

Reaction Score
Hah! UConn grad from '82, now living in your state. We're kindred spirits, I will settle for that!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
SO, now WNBA stats decide who should be on the Olympic team?
What have you done for me lately? How about Euroleague stats?

Jones
17.9 ppg
9.0 rpg
0.9 apg
0.3 bpg
1.0 spg

Brunson
15.5 ppg
9.2 rpg
0.9 apg
0.2 bpg
1.2 apg

Dupree
14.1 ppg
6.2 rpg
0.9 apg
0.3 bpg
1.2 spg

Reaction Score
and so you assume that because their stats are virtually identical last year that Dupree was the clear choice?

Aside from the fact that Dupree shot over 10 percent better from the field, I suppose you could argue "their stats are virtually identical." But then there's the vast difference in performance between the two at the Worlds. Congrats to Asjha, but this is pretty clearly a pick made for Geno.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that the Committee believed it had enough post scoring and was looking for a player who could defend the post better than Dupree?

Four-time All-Defensive selection Rebekkah Brunson would have been a far better choice in that case.

Reaction Score
Asjha played in the post with the best rebounder in the WNBA for the past 2 seasons so I wouldn't expect her to have rebound stats like Dupree who is expected to be the top rebounder for her team.

This is a poor argument. Asjha has always been a mediocre rebounder for a starter at her position. In fact, Asjha's rebound percentage (which accounts for pace) in 2011 was her highest as a full-time starter in the WNBA.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

tnvolfan65,

It would be odd, given the recent news out of Knoxville, if there weren't multiple threads on WCBB fan boards... Tennessee has been a premier WCBB program for as long as most can remember... Any changes in the program is big news... More compelling than the news of the changes in coaching status is the hard to fathom personal news about Coach Summitt that caused these changes in the program... The implications on the world of WCBB are far reaching and should be of interest to all fans of WCBB. So, to imply that the BY is obsessed with TN and it's main fan-board is more than a bit off center...

Obviously, fans do come in all stripes, giving us some that are indifferent to TN's trials and Tribulations while at the same time giving us others that are completely obsessed with the program... Happily, nature has power and the ubiquity of the natural curve highlights the truth that most people have a healthy, reasonable interest, neither disinterested nor obsessed...

I hope you keep posting here but please do consider why something may appear to be something that it is not before posting... A lesson I still need a good friendly reminder every so often...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Or something like that...
Exactly what do you mean by that? And do you intend to answer any of the questions others have asked of you on this visit, or are you hitting and running? Kindly let us know so we can determine whether to take you seriously or not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't get it really. I guess I hope the trolls crawl back into their holes. the arguments they, and their ilk, make on their board are just as stupid as the whining and crying that "Geno cheats to get recruits" (BTW per my understanding UCONN has 1 minor recruiting violation in it's history while Tennessee has 2).

The fact that UCONN has completely surpassed Tennessee and is THE program in WCBB, not the orange crush, apparently sticks in their craw. it's one thing for you people to weave your lunacy on your board, but coming over here with it? And to expect anyone to take you seriously? i'm not sure who you folks think you are fooling, or who you are trying to convince, but go sell your crazy someplace else.

As much as i wish the girls who play for checkerboard square well, I simply can never root for them, or their program. Some (NOT all) fans are hostile, jealous, petty, snarky, and flat out insane. I think it must be the green eyed monster that drives them. After all, a record of 9-13 vs. UCONN, the elite recruits who choose UCONN and lack thereof who choose Tennessee lately, and the fact that since 2000, UCONN has won 6 NC's to Tennessee's 2, must be too much to take.

It seems to me that in the face of logic and facts, SOME orange fans are too colored by their dislike of all things related to UCONN to behave in a sane manner. I get it - blind hatred is sometimes the mark of a great rivalry. Let's get The Game back on the schedule and we all can enjoy some real fun!

BTW when Kara Lawson was named to the Olympic team in 2008, fans on this board did not jeer. they cheered. And she was chosen over some other very worthy candidates. She was a great backup PG and a steady hand on the team that won gold in Bejing. It's amazing how much respect UCONN fans have for former tennessee players and broadcasters while many tennessee fans still slam the former UCONN'ers every chance they get.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Dupree shot over 10 percent better from the field, I suppose you could argue "their stats are virtually identical." But then there's the vast difference in performance between the two at the Worlds. Congrats to Asjha, but this is pretty clearly a pick made for Geno.

No one here has a problem with Dupree, but the fact is she was a starter who didn't exactly light it up against the toughest opponents (Australia and Czech Republic) in the World Championships in 2010. Meanwhile, Asjha has played outstanding basketball in Europe this year against many of the post players the USA will be facing in London. Jones is a better defender than Dupree.

Also, while the international players are staying home this summer to practice and play with their national teams, the American players will be playing with their WNBA teams. Thus, the USA will have very few opportunities to practice before having to play in the Olympics. If USA Basketball is attempting to mitigate this disadvantage by choosing a player (Asjha) who is familiar with Geno and what he wants and who is familiar with many of her teammates, then I certainly don't have a problem with that and I don't understand why others would, unless they are looking for reasons to criticize.

I like what Carol Callan had to say about the selection of Asjha which is good enough for me. Asjha need not take a backseat to anyone. She is the consummate professional and USA Basketball could not have made a better selection for this 12th spot.

“As always, this decision was very difficult due to the breadth and quality of the USA National Team pool,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan, a member of the selection committee. “Asjha has shown her abilities throughout the EuroLeague season, culminating in earning MVP honors at the Final Eight. Her abilities and leadership as a veteran of international basketball and over the last several years with our USA National Team program makes her a great choice for this final spot. Her experience pushed her forward in terms of selecting the final roster spot.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom