It's ASJHA! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

It's ASJHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More importantly, she did something right. About 14 years ago...

Yes, she committed to UConn and played in 3 Final Fours and won 2 National Championships. And now she gets the opportunity to play for her college coach again. I'm sure she is thrilled and we are thrilled for her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is a poor argument. Asjha has always been a mediocre rebounder for a starter at her position. In fact, Asjha's rebound percentage (which accounts for pace) in 2011 was her highest as a full-time starter in the WNBA.

Excellent. Her rebounding is improving. I noticed that she outscored and outrebounded Dupree in Euroleague play this year. Asjha was MVP of the Euroleague Final 8 this year as well. Looks like she is at the top of her game.

Reaction Score
To all the Lady Vols fans on this board:

I remember a great number of fans (some UConn)/media (some UConn) questioning the addition of a guard from the Monarchs out of the college Tennessee named Kara Lawson back when the roster for the 2008 Olympic Team was announced over the likes of WNBA perennial All-Stars Alana Beard & Lindsay Whalen and Wade Trophy winner & Stanford All-American Candice Wiggins. All were thought to be much more talented, better defenders/passers/etc. and had more "hype" than Lawson. But the selection committee said Lawson was the best "fit" for the team as its 12th member. Meaning she was the better "role-player, team-player, leader, bench cheerleader, do-what-ever-it-takes-to-win player, non-complainer, work-horse player" and all with a huge smile and positive attitude along the way.

And you know what, when the going got tough in the Gold Medal game, who was it that stepped up after a not very productive (in terms of stats) Olympic run to that point, and scored a HUGE 15pts. for Team USA and led the way for our 4th consecutive Gold Medal......KARA LAWSON!!!!!!!

So before you and the rest of you Lady Vols' counterparts diss, bash, or question the addition of Asjha Jones (who was chosen a the best "fit" for the team as its 12th member), please remember, you just never know WHO will be the one to step up in that potential 2012 Gold Medal game (hopefully for Team USA, if they make it that far) because last time it was from a very unexpected source and this time it might be the same!

(And if no one does and Team USA loses, then you will all have plenty of ammo to blast UConn out of the park b/c they made up 1/2 the team ;) if you so choose to react that way.)

Signed,
A loyal Husky fan :)

p.s. - sending continued prayers for good health and strength for your beloved Pat Summitt.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Interesting impression. Statistically Asjha's rebounding has actually always been a relative weak point of her game even dating back to college, and I never thought of Asjha as a killer on the boards.
Really. I guess my memory is faulty. I can have visual memories of her back in the day crashing in for some beautiful boards...So I'm sorry for the mistake. Numbers do not lie...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Dupree shot over 10 percent better from the field, I suppose you could argue "their stats are virtually identical." But then there's the vast difference in performance between the two at the Worlds. Congrats to Asjha, but this is pretty clearly a pick made for Geno.
Actually, that is only true in the early games. Dupree was ineffective in the finals as was noted earlier.

Reaction Score
I also think everyone forgets that Asjha was dealing with lots of injuries b/w 2008 and 2010 and now she is finally completely healthy which is a big reason the Sun went 21-13 last season and a big reason why she led her "underdog" team to the 2012 Euroleague Finals against powerhouse Ros Carases and was named MVP of the Final 8 even with her team losing in the final.

Reaction Score
I grow a wee bit tired of the UT rants how our program is undeserving to any degree of the accomplishments we have earned (been given?!).... but I enjoy the banter with you guys..... Pat never does anything wrong, GA is a cheater, UC is undeserving of their accomplishments, and should be ignored, because after all, we don't play each other any longer. Out of sight out of mind. I think ...leave the titanic battles vs. South Carolina and Arkansas to UT. We will focus on the larger picture. Our accomplishments speak for themselves.

90 wins in a row. That is pretty good. 7 NCs in 27 yrs for GA. That isn't bad. You have a good program at UT, that i have always said. I am proud of our program as well .... our FF record.... We won in our 3rd trip there.... It took you folks 8 trips to win your first one, if I recall correctly. Facts are always the best gauge on which to base a judgement.

There is no shame in 8 NCs in 38 yrs. In fact, that is exemplary. Led by a wonderful coach. I am so proud also of GA, CD, SR, and MM, and their ability to run a successful clean program on our side of the fence.

What I wish is that you on the UT side acknowledge that we are a worthy program over here without calling us a bunch of cheaters or a program which has accomplished something without merit. I really don't need this validation to live every day, mind you, I frankly don't care if we ever hear from you guys, but it would be nice to hear something other than the constant flood of sniping at our program that presently exists.

Reaction Score
Truth Below, she did something right 14 yrs ago..... apparently she has done something right in the present as well. She is on the team. Again, I like speaking in facts. Your opinion, however skewed, is valued, even on this board.

Reaction Score
No one here has a problem with Dupree, but the fact is she was a starter who didn't exactly light it up against the toughest opponents (Australia and Czech Republic) in the World Championships in 2010.

Against Australia, Dupree had six points and five rebounds in 16 minutes. Asjha was held scoreless, going 0-for-3 and pulling down one rebound. She did score two more points (on three more shots) against the Czech Republic, so there's that...

It's also interesting to note how Brunson did against Atlanta in the playoffs as opposed to Asjha (and conversely, how poorly Olympians Erika de Souza and Sancho Lyttle did in comparison to the first round).

(And, even though I shouldn't have to mention this, I am most certainly not a Tennessee fan. I do find it silly that, after making snide remarks about LV fans, some people have a problem with LV fans coming here to defend themselves.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Another thread where we debate things with Tennessee fans. And while it has gotten a little snarky from both sides, no one is being banned.

You can bet that any Uconn fan posting on this topic defending AJ's selection would be asked to leave by the posters and more than likely banned by their mods.

Viva la differance!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Against Australia, Dupree had six points and five rebounds in 16 minutes. Asjha was held scoreless, going 0-for-3 and pulling down one rebound. She did score two more points (on three more shots) against the Czech Republic, so there's that...

It's also interesting to note how Brunson did against Atlanta in the playoffs as opposed to Asjha (and conversely, how poorly Olympians Erika de Souza and Sancho Lyttle did in comparison to the first round).

(And, even though I shouldn't have to mention this, I am most certainly not a Tennessee fan. I do find it silly that, after making snide remarks about LV fans, some people have a problem with LV fans coming here to defend themselves.)

No one has an issue with Tennessee fans posting here. They should just be prepared to handle the response that disagrees with them.

Again, did you read what the National Team Director said about the choice?

"As always, this decision was very difficult due to the breadth and quality of the USA National Team pool,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan, a member of the selection committee. “Asjha has shown her abilities throughout the EuroLeague season, culminating in earning MVP honors at the Final Eight. Her abilities and leadership as a veteran of international basketball and over the last several years with our USA National Team program makes her a great choice for this final spot. Her experience pushed her forward in terms of selecting the final roster spot.”

I think the posters here just don't appreciate the inuendo that Geno manipulated this selection over more deserving players. Doing that is basically calling Callan and the rest of the committee and Geno liars.

Reaction Score
TTB - Speaking for myself, I love hearing from all LV fans..... I also like hearing the truth, as your name states. Your contention ... or should I say implication, that AJ only did something right 14 yrs ago would be contested by the committee that named her to the team. They apparently feel that she is somehow deserving.

Reaction Score
DD - Thx for the Carol Callan quote. Won't make the noise subside, but it is a great reference point.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Another thread where we debate things with Tennessee fans. And while it has gotten a little snarky from both sides, no one is being banned.

You can bet that any Uconn fan posting on this topic defending AJ's selection would be asked to leave by the posters and more than likely banned by their mods.

Viva la differance!
Heh.. Talk about differences. One of the orange mods appears to be one of the leading conspiracy theorists, and constantly promotes doscussion of that. Heck of a job over there, representing the LV fans.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Let's see. Asjha had better stats than both Dupree and Brunson in the Euroleague this year. She led her team to the finals and was the MVP of the Final 8. So there's that. We can continue to go back and forth on this but it really is pointless. I'm sure USA Basketball didn't get out spreadsheets when it was deciding whom it would select for the 12th spot on this team after Griner declined. The goal was to put together the best team not the 12 best players. I would hope the committee had in mind a role it wanted filled and looked at the versatility and experience of the candidates and decided Jones was the best selection. If one of the factors working in her favor was her familiarity with Geno and what he wants, then, as I said above, that's smart decision-making. The USA doesn't have much time to prepare for London; thus, any efficiencies that can be gained by the players chosen is a good thing. But in terms of accomplishments, talent and experience, Asjha Jones need not take a backseat to either of the players you've mentioned.

I really don't care about your team affiliation.

Reaction Score
No one has an issue with Tennessee fans posting here. They should just be prepared to handle the response that disagrees with them.

Again, did you read what the National Team Director said about the choice?

"As always, this decision was very difficult due to the breadth and quality of the USA National Team pool,” said USA Basketball Women’s National Team Director Carol Callan, a member of the selection committee. “Asjha has shown her abilities throughout the EuroLeague season, culminating in earning MVP honors at the Final Eight. Her abilities and leadership as a veteran of international basketball and over the last several years with our USA National Team program makes her a great choice for this final spot. Her experience pushed her forward in terms of selecting the final roster spot.”

I think the posters here just don't appreciate the inuendo that Geno manipulated this selection over more deserving players. Doing that is basically calling Callan and the rest of the committee and Geno liars.
This is one of those posts that I wish I could "like" twice. Well done, DD!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Getting back to 2 of Alex's points. :)

First, the mindboggling 160 wins in a row. We are asking them to win something like 8 in a row in July-August. Can they handle it? :)

Second, the NPOYs:

Sue
Diana x 2
Tina
Maya x 2

Impressive, but here's more, not just UConn (feel free to correct if needed):

Candace
Catch
Seimone
Sylvia

I think only Swin, Asjha, Lindsay, and Angel were not NPOYs. And Angel was barely edged out by Maya. Again, a very, very impressive group.

DarthVol

Visitor from the Dark Side
Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that Dupree shot over 10 percent better from the field, I suppose you could argue "their stats are virtually identical." But then there's the vast difference in performance between the two at the Worlds.

That was why Dupree would have been my top pick. The best comparison we have is when they were on the same team two years ago. Geno started Dupree in over half the games, while Jones didn't start any games in the Worlds. And Candice was a beast, easily leading the team in shooting and rebounding despite playing with the likes of Charles and Fowles. Dupree is also younger, with arguably more upside and more likely to develop as a core player to return in 2016.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That was why Dupree would have been my top pick. The best comparison we have is when they were on the same team two years ago. Geno started Dupree in over half the games, while Jones didn't start any games in the Worlds. And Candice was a beast, easily leading the team in shooting and rebounding despite playing with the likes of Charles and Fowles. Dupree is also younger, with arguably more upside and more likely to develop as a core player to return in 2016.
At the time Asjha was battling nagging injuries.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was why Dupree would have been my top pick. The best comparison we have is when they were on the same team two years ago.
That was 2 years ago. It's really about who's in form now. Personally I would have been fine with Brunson, Dupree or Jones. None of the 3 were/are going to have a big impact anyway.....hopefully. With a 10 player rotation it's hard to spread around minutes, let alone the 11th or 12th player.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that those advocating for someone other than Jones appear to keep talking about stats and performances that are two years old (world championship) instead of looking at performances that are current (Euroleague Finals). Current performance against some of the same players the Olympic team will face this summer.

Current. What have you done for me lately?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that those advocating for someone other than Jones appear to keep talking about stats and performances that are two years old (world championship) instead of looking at performances that are current (Euroleague Finals). Current performance against some of the same players the Olympic team will face this summer.
Current. What have you done for me lately?
As one of them said, "stats don't lie", so it's only useful, in their case, to use stats that back up their assertion that Jones was undeserving. it still boggles my mind that several things have been said over and over again and are undisputed facts...
  1. It's the committee that makes the decision, NOT Geno. he has input, but the constant implications that Geno somehow rigged and pulled the wool over the eyes of USA basketball is an insult to not only the players, but the committee and USA basketball as a whole
  2. The facts are that Ashja had the best season of any of those 3 in the Euroleague this past year against apparently the best competition in the world and was the MVP of the final 8, or whatever it's called. So some want to go back and compare stats when Jones was injured or asked to take a specific and lesser role for her team and point to that as solid reasoning for her being undeserving. It's as if her Euroleague stats were made up or an aberration of some kind.
  3. The committee is looking for the best TEAM they can put together. if they were looking to simply add the 12th best player from the USA, it probably should have been Cappie Pondexter. But for whatever reason she was not selected for the team.
The funny thing is, and i know i can't speak for everyone, but if Brunson or Dupree or Pondexter had been named #12, most everyone on this board would have said "while disappointed for Ashja, congrats to ___ on a well deserved honor". The lack of class coming from some other fans is not surprising, but disappointing none the less.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There has been some mention about Maya being the first major recruit from the south. Shea Ralph was from Fayetteville, North Carolina. I know it's "North" Carolina, but I lived there and I guarantee it's South.

On a separate note, the suggestion that Geno rigged the system to favor Asjha doesn't hold water. (It's not surprising that the accusers offer no evidence, just hateful speculation.) Even Geno's most vociferous detractors don't accuse him of being dumb. And what could be dumber than to horn in on the committee's prerogative of selecting team members? He's much too smart to do anything so stupid.

Geno-bashers, go bark up another tree.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As one of them said, "stats don't lie", so it's only useful, in their case, to use stats that back up their assertion that Jones was undeserving. it still boggles my mind that several things have been said over and over again and are undisputed facts...
  1. It's the committee that makes the decision, NOT Geno. he has input, but the constant implications that Geno somehow rigged and pulled the wool over the eyes of USA basketball is an insult to not only the players, but the committee and USA basketball as a whole
  2. The facts are that Ashja had the best season of any of those 3 in the Euroleague this past year against apparently the best competition in the world and was the MVP of the final 8, or whatever it's called. So some want to go back and compare stats when Jones was injured or asked to take a specific and lesser role for her team and point to that as solid reasoning for her being undeserving. It's as if her Euroleague stats were made up or an aberration of some kind.
  3. The committee is looking for the best TEAM they can put together. if they were looking to simply add the 12th best player from the USA, it probably should have been Cappie Pondexter. But for whatever reason she was not selected for the team.
The funny thing is, and i know i can't speak for everyone, but if Brunson or Dupree or Pondexter had been named #12, most everyone on this board would have said "while disappointed for Ashja, congrats to ___ on a well deserved honor". The lack of class coming from some other fans is not surprising, but disappointing none the less.

Eric, if you recall, the same people dissing the choice of AJ were going crazy when Simmons was cut from the team Jen Rizzoti coached. They called her Geno's lackey and insulted USA basketball over that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom