Italian point guard visiting | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Italian point guard visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vital is starting
Good problems to have, one could even argue Gilbert is the guy stepping into starter minutes. All I'm saying is IF he were to come here, there's a good chance he's straight up the best shooter on the team(very confident with excellent mechanics)... I really don't like larrier as a 4 but Ollie can get creative to squeeze 3 guards on the floor too.

Reaction Score
Over the summer and once our roster is set, meaning we essentially have all the players we are going to have, I would guess the who starts discussions will be in full swing here. Moretti will be a welcome addition here and I would think would get plenty of minutes. Ultimately, I think it will depend on how he defends. Early, I would guess he would come off the bench and if he can shoot it and hold his own on defense, not turn the ball over etc. he would be a really nice piece for the team. I really hope he joins UConn. I could see him being a Rashad Anderson type of player (I know this is a bad comp given Anderson's size, I just mean his shooting), hitting some big shots when we need them and growing into a big role on future Husky teams in 18 and 19. Vital has shown he can play and score, is scrappy and hardworking, defends decently, gets loose balls and seems to be in the right place at the right time. At the start of the season, given his contributions last year, I think it would be a disservice to his hard work not to start him. Work Gilbert in slowly and let him get acclimated again. If Gilbert is clearly outplaying Vital in practice and in games they could switch roles. Either way, assuming Gilbert's health is up to snuff, the two of them will get major minutes along with Adams. Adams will want the ball in his hands. He is going to want to showcase PG skills I would think for the next level. NBA guys please chime in here but his tool box and physical makeup seems more fitting as an NBA PG than a SG. I would guess Gilbert comes off the bench spelling Adams so the team has a true PG running the team when Adams sits or as a third guard. I love Vital as a player for UConn. He has "it". But, he is not really a point guard. He complements Adams and Gilbert better than Adams and Gilbert complement each other IMHO. Moretti seems to be more of a wing given that he appears to have shooting prowess even though he doesn't have size like you'd want in a wing. What a great problem the team will have on their hands to make sure all these guys get minutes. Come to UConn Davide and rain some buckets for us!

Reaction Score
Getting back to moretti, when watching his tape with the Italian national team it's important to note how long those teammates have known each other (5+ years) Think his role next year will mirror his performance for Treviso in that Italian 2nd division... lots of scoring/shooting in picknroll and getting to ft line ( got there more consistently for Treviso and Italy than UConn players have in the past few years). Not so much playmaking like an Adams...

If he comes here I expect him to be in contention for starter/closer minutes , with a lineup like

Moretti
Adams
Larrier
Diarra/polley
Onuorah

Firepower off the bench with AG and vital. Not a bad 8 man rotation if you throw Carlton in there.
If we get the kid we are definitely going with the small lineup which would give us the most firepower. JA, AG, CV, TL and probably DO starting at Center. We then have the 2 guards, Polley, Cobb and Diarra off the bench.

Reaction Score
If we get the kid we are definitely going with the small lineup which would give us the most firepower. JA, AG, CV, TL and probably DO starting at Center. We then have the 2 guards, Polley, Cobb and Diarra off the bench.

Really unsure larrier will be physical enough to bang as a second big. In his short minutes last year, he was a wing scorer who pretty much struggled in all aspects of defense. Guy was a red carpet to the rim.

These are good problems to have though, hoping the staff comes through on this one. It'll be great to play scholly players who fit in the rotation and not just out of necessity due to injury.

Reaction Score
Really unsure larrier will be physical enough to bang as a second big. In his short minutes last year, he was a wing scorer who pretty much struggled in all aspects of defense. Guy was a red carpet to the rim.

These are good problems to have though, hoping the staff comes through on this one. It'll be great to play scholly players who fit in the rotation and not just out of necessity due to injury.
Yea I agree with this. Larrier as a four you would think would only be for limited minutes when you want to run or are trying to put a fast, scoring lineup on the floor for a while. I can't see him living at the four. He's rather slight for that. Strong, very handsome, skilled, but slight.

Reaction Score

I guess we watched him differently. He was very physical and played bigger than his size while I watched him. I thought he was the best player on the court before he got hurt. KO knows we are going to be very limited up front with scoring. No way he goes to two guys up front who can't give us any offense. You thought last year was bad with KF and AB up front can you imaging Cobb and DO or ever Diarra as two of them. We basically be playing 3 on 5. I just don't see KO going to that lineup that much next year unless he has no other choice. That is why I think picking up this Italian player is so huge. Teams like Cincy and SMU have 5 guys who can score at all times and will kill us again next year if we go with these big lineups. Maybe Polley is better than we think and he can start with TL.

The game is changing if you haven't noticed and traditional PF and even Centers are a relic of the game now.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'd agree with whoever points out that Larrier and guys of his size who can rebound are the prototype 4s nowadays, as the forward position, and every position, has blended.

Reaction Score
I understand the game has changed and positions have blended but on defense he's likely to have a 6-9 230 lb muscular guy leaning on him in the post. Although he would create mismatches on the offensive end for sure that scenario worries me.

Reaction Score
Looking at this kid's profile and level of competition, he'd probably be our second best player. I don't think we need to see his D or anything else. Some posters are really excited about him because he has already proven to be a good player on a similar level. He's very likely a game changer for us. If we get him, my confidence in a turnaround this season will go from a 6 to a 9.

Reaction Score
Assuming this kid comes to UConn, while very skilled he's going to have to compete with four extremely talented guards for playing time.

Also, the only place I see is Vital starting is the three which very well might happen but I think Larrier's ideal position is the three not the four. Don't underestimate Vital's importance coming off the bench bringing his toughness and scoring ability.

Reaction Score
Yea I agree with this. Larrier as a four you would think would only be for limited minutes when you want to run or are trying to put a fast, scoring lineup on the floor for a while. I can't see him living at the four. He's rather slight for that. Strong, very handsome, skilled, but slight.

OK 80's - "very handsome"? I have never seen this in a description of a potential PF before but OK, there's always a first.

While he is slight Gary Clark isn't a lot bigger he's just been a lot smarter than our people who have been defending him on our team. While I'd prefer a guy like Diarra to step up and earn a good amount of time at the 4 because he can score it a little, it would seem for now that we will require some time playing small ball. Long way to go, we'll see.

pj

Reaction Score
Tall, dark, strong, handsome -- what's not to like?

Reaction Score
I need to ask a question. How do any of you know how good this kid is? I read the boneyard everyday and I have not seen anything that tells me he would be the 2nd best player on the team or a Rashard type player. Or steal minutes from Gilbert or Vital. Has anybody actually seen him play? From what is being described he is Oscar Robertson part 2.

Reaction Score
OK 80's - "very handsome"? I have never seen this in a description of a potential PF before but OK, there's always a first.

While he is slight Gary Clark isn't a lot bigger he's just been a lot smarter than our people who have been defending him on our team. While I'd prefer a guy like Diarra to step up and earn a good amount of time at the 4 because he can score it a little, it would seem for now that we will require some time playing small ball. Long way to go, we'll see.
I was just throwing the kid some props so people didn't think I was harshing on him.

Reaction Score
I need to ask a question. How do any of you know how good this kid is? I read the boneyard everyday and I have not seen anything that tells me he would be the 2nd best player on the team or a Rashard type player. Or steal minutes from Gilbert or Vital. Has anybody actually seen him play? From what is being described he is Oscar Robertson part 2.
He's the Italian Detlef Schrempf, you don't see it?

Reaction Score
This kid has been playing in the best league in Italy against grown men and one notch below for 2.5-3 years. He is productive and successful. He is a real player and has a stronger resume than any American kid we'd be recruiting as a freshman.

His strengths are pick and roll, shooting off the dribble, creating his own shot,hitting open threes and passing. He can play 3 positions and has guarded 30 year old pros with decent results. Lots to be intrigued with here. Would be a major boost for us. Oh yeah, his dad is a former pro and current pro coach, that always helps with IQ.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I believe Davide said defense is an area for improvement. But I don't think it can be as bad as some we've had recently.

Reaction Score
Italy at the FIBA U18 European Championship Division A 2016 - FIBA.com

Croatia v Italy - 17 Dec - FIBA.com

This is as good as it gets for scouting game tape. FIBA does a great job with the camera work, no annoying announcers or bad hip hop music. At the end of each half they show every scoring play.

He plays well in both of these games. Watch his poise at the end of the Germany game where he seals it with a clever assist.

Against Croatia his shot is on and shows off a nice midrange game.
He shot 16/35 from three for the six game tourney. He's more AJ Price than Rash Anderson.
Just a solid, poised, clever, coaches son of a player. I hope we land him.

Reaction Score
This kid has been playing in the best league in Italy against grown men and one notch below for 2.5-3 years. He is productive and successful. He is a real player and has a stronger resume than any American kid we'd be recruiting as a freshman.

His strengths are pick and roll, shooting off the dribble, creating his own shot,hitting open threes and passing. He can play 3 positions and has guarded 30 year old pros with decent results. Lots to be intrigued with here. Would be a major boost for us. Oh yeah, his dad is a former pro and current pro coach, that always helps with IQ.
are you sure about this? I was under the impression he was playing U18 and U19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul