Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unless the coach pulls the offer, I believe it stands as long as there is an open spot.

That's not how the process works at all. I'm not going to do your research for you, but you can inform yourself if you want. But no, it is not the case that all 20 open offers (or whatever the # is) can be accepted at any time as soon as they're made.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Can I have an example of these prioritized/conditional offers? I can't find anything on google. A coach may want one PG for his recruiting class and say to potential PG recruits the first to says 'yes' get's the scholarship. Sure that happens but telling a kid you can only accept this scholarship if (fill in the blank) doesn't is something much different.
The timing of the scholarship can be an indication of the coaches priority (not always) but once it's officially offered I find it hard to believe there any conditions attached. I could be wrong but just need evidence to prove me wrong. It's always been my understanding it's simply the first to say yes.
Take a look at the thread. "Twitter exchange with Corey Evans". I believe a lot has to do with the school, (accepting) a commit & timeframes. There's been talk that Mack/Clarke are tethered in their decision, yet only school on both lists is UConn.

Reaction Score
That's not how the process works at all. I'm not going to do your research for you, but you can inform yourself if you want. But no, it is not the case that all 20 open offers (or whatever the # is) can be accepted at any time as soon as they're made.

So if a coach offers a player a scholarship some can't accept it? Help me do the research please. I can't find anything to support this. Enlighten me with your vast recruiting knowledge. Give me an example of this happening to a specific player.

Take a look at the thread. "Twitter exchange with Corey Evans". I believe a lot has to do with the school, (accepting) a commit & timeframes. There's been talk that Mack/Clarke are tethered in their decision, yet only school on both lists is UConn.

I believe in the Mack/Clarke situation is whoever accepts first gets the scholarship and the other's offer gets pulled. Ollie doesn't want 2 SF's and wants to save a spot for Diamond or someone else. They wouldn't want to compete against each other for PT anyway.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe Briscoe can't accept his UK scholarship b/c they're waiting on a higher priority player.

Reaction Score
Ok you guys need to understand something. NO ONE is saying St. John's is as good as UConn. Not in the past, not in the current. Not ever. So stop with the St. John's vs. UConn thing. I'm talking strictly about UConn. Only an idiot would actually say SJ can hold a candle to UConn hoops in terms of success. Not many teams can even argue they are more successful. I have no problem admitting the truth.

But now that I established that, you need to understand that UConn is not just UConn. There are two UConn's. UConn(A) is the old Big East version of UConn with a HOF coach in Calhoun and all of those championships come from this era or from something Calhoun touched. This was while you were in the best hoops conference on earth. Yes you won the first year in the AAC. But Calhoun still had his fingerprints on the team because he recruited them. You honestly don't think that helped at all? You really think Kevin Ollie is so amazing in his own right and owes nothing to Calhoun setting him up beautifully? Right now UConn is not UConn(A)…it's UConn(B). UConn(B) is the AAC UConn playing Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, Houston, SMU (irrelevant 99% of the time Brown is not there), etc. UConn(A) and UConn(B) are not the same. A was a legacy in the best conference ever with a HOF coach. B guarantees NOTHING. No one cares you won 4 championships in the future. My point is that none of the football conferences want UConn. You guys are betting against the odds by putting football first. There is a VERY good chance UConn ends up in the AAC and the UConn(A) era fades off. Then the recruiting slows, the conference affiliation starts to hurt, and Ollie has to do things on his own without Calhoun's fingerprints. Is there a chance UConn ends up in a football conference? Yes, albeit a small one. The football program there is absolutely atrocious and no one wants to touch it. You put football first and now you are already paying dearly for it getting the punishment called the AAC which you may be in for the next 20 years. If you don't think being in the AAC for a long time won't change the perception of UConn hoops eventually, then you are in denial.

So when I argue I am talking about UConn(B) aka the AAC UConn. Not the one with old Big East and Calhoun fingerprints (including the one from last year). UConn(A) was great but it's over. End of an era. Ollie got the keys to a Ferrari and now you think it's all his doing that you won a championship. There's a difference between turning a Civic into a Ferrari and inheriting a Ferrari. All I'm saying is that the future does not care about your 4 rings. The future looks bleak for UConn staying in the AAC. So have all the fun now celebrating your recent championships, because once the UConn(A) aura wears off (which it will), you may not see another for an entire lifetime if ever again. You are essentially the same as Patriots fans who think they will keep winning SB's when Tom Brady is gone. Once Brady is gone the Patriots turn human again. And once the old Big East/Calhoun influenced UConn era wears off, so will UConn hoops. UConn is now in a transition from best conference ever to a legitimate mid major conference. Yet you act like you are joining the ACC tomorrow. If UConn does not get that invite (and it's likely they won't), UConn will slowly fade into the abyss.

The Roman Empire fell, the Yankees dynasty is over, and UConn's dynasty can easily end too in the AAC. Part of the reason empires fall is due to a lack of foresight and the belief that you will always be on top no matter what. UConn is demonstrating that right now. You made a stupid decision to prioritize football and the empire may now collapse if you don't get the invite.

Last edited:

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-26_19-26-46.jpeg

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Ok you guys need to understand something. NO ONE is saying St. John's is as good as UConn. Not in the past, not in the current. Not ever. So stop with the St. John's vs. UConn thing. I'm talking strictly about UConn. Only an idiot would actually say SJ can hold a candle to UConn hoops in terms of success. Not many teams can even argue they are more successful. I have no problem admitting the truth.

But now that I established that, you need to understand that UConn is not just UConn. There are two UConn's. UConn(A) is the old Big East version of UConn with a HOF coach in Calhoun and all of those championships come from this era or from something Calhoun touched. This was while you were in the best hoops conference on earth. Yes you won the first year in the AAC. But Calhoun still had his fingerprints on the team because he recruited them. You honestly don't think that helped at all? You really think Kevin Ollie is so amazing in his own right and owes nothing to Calhoun setting him up beautifully? Right now UConn is not UConn(A)…it's UConn(B). UConn(B) is the AAC UConn playing Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, Houston, SMU (irrelevant 99% of the time Brown is not there), etc. UConn(A) and UConn(B) are not the same. A was a legacy in the best conference ever with a HOF coach. B guarantees NOTHING. No one cares you won 4 championships in the future. My point is that none of the football conferences want UConn. You guys are betting against the odds by putting football first. There is a VERY good chance UConn ends up in the AAC and the UConn(A) era fades off. Then the recruiting slows, the conference affiliation starts to hurt, and Ollie has to do things on his own without Calhoun's fingerprints. Is there a chance UConn ends up in a football conference? Yes, albeit a small one. The football program there is absolutely atrocious and no one wants to touch it. You put football first and now you are already paying dearly for it getting the punishment called the AAC which you may be in for the next 20 years. If you don't think being in the AAC for a long time won't change the perception of UConn hoops eventually, then you are in denial.

So when I argue I am talking about UConn(B) aka the AAC UConn. Not the one with old Big East and Calhoun fingerprints (including the one from last year). UConn(A) was great but it's over. End of an era. Ollie got the keys to a Ferrari and now you think it's all his doing that you won a championship. There's a difference between turning a Civic into a Ferrari and inheriting a Ferrari. All I'm saying is that the future does not care about your 4 rings. The future looks bleak for UConn staying in the AAC. So have all the fun now celebrating your recent championships, because once the UConn(A) aura wears off (which it will), you may not see another for an entire lifetime if ever again. You are essentially the same as Patriots fans who think they will keep winning SB's when Tom Brady is gone. Once Brady is gone the Patriots turn human again. And once the old Big East/Calhoun influenced UConn era wears off, so will UConn hoops. UConn is now in a transition from best conference ever to a legitimate mid major conference. Yet you act like you are joining the ACC tomorrow. If UConn does not get that invite (and it's likely they won't), UConn will slowly fade into the abyss.

The Roman Empire fell, the Yankees dynasty is over, and UConn's dynasty can easily end too in the AAC. Part of the reason empires fall is due to a lack of foresight and the belief that you will always be on top no matter what. UConn is demonstrating that right now. You made a stupid decision to prioritize football and the empire may now collapse if you don't get the invite.

upload_2014-10-26_19-27-20.jpeg

Reaction Score
No crap the AAC sucks bro but you have no idea what the future holds for conference realignment. The way things are going the NCAA is not for long. Who knows what the landscape of college sports will be in 5 years?
Bottom line is we'll always be relevant in basketball because of our history of championships and NBA players. You'll always be a commuter school full of kids that couldn't get into NYU.

Reaction Score

Another person that can predict the demise of the Husky's. What a special talent. I really believe you. No way you could be wrong.

How is it in the abyss?

Reaction Score

Holly ! What you talking bout Willis? Uconn A,B. Your post is a F. Please that Championship was KO out coaching a bunch of future hall of famers. St Johns is nothing and will be nothing. Our B game would be a 10 fold increase of the Jonnies game. Go back to your board you'll get no agreement here.

Reaction Score
So if a coach offers a player a scholarship some can't accept it? Help me do the research please. I can't find anything to support this. Enlighten me with your vast recruiting knowledge. Give me an example of this happening to a specific player.
There are certain cases where an offer is reported when there really isn't one. This could be just from a recruit, parent, or coach misunderstanding the entire situation. And then it's amplified by Twitter. So, for instance, say a college coach expresses their interest in a prospect. The prospect misinterprets that interest as an offer and goes to twitter to say "just offered by _______ #blessed". So there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Here's some examples:
“@AdamFinkelstein: Love this time of year. See an "offer" on twitter, quickly followed by text from college coach saying "we didn't offer"”

“@EvanDaniels: .@AdamFinkelstein It's important that the kids knows if they aren't talking to the head coach, they probably don't have a committable offer”

“@AdamFinkelstein: prospects/parents: "we love you" does not = "we want to offer you a scholarship"”

Reaction Score

UConn made a bet back in the late 1990s, when they decided to upgrade: schools with football with monopolize all the NCAA money over time. In order to try to deal with that future, they upgraded.

They were right. Football schools have slowly worked to monopolize all the money, and the last school to win an NCAA title without playing DI football was UConn in 1999. Before that, it was Villanova in 1985. So UConn is either dead in the water with the Old BE (and I greatly lament that that conference had to fall apart...I fv¢king loved that conference) or they had to try to get themselves into a P5 conference. Time will tell if they will get there, but given the (unfortunate) coming (continued?) irrelevance of non-football schools, they can at least say they tried.

And as to the coach--they weren't all Calhoun's players, and he's doing very well on the recruiting trail. He's at least keeping up--if not surpassing--what Calhoun did. I'm not trying to minimize what Calhoun did. I think it's the greatest coaching job ever. But most of the hard work is done: UConn is legitimate. You don't need another Calhoun to build it from nothing.

Reaction Score
No crap the AAC sucks bro but you have no idea what the future holds for conference realignment. The way things are going the NCAA is not for long. Who knows what the landscape of college sports will be in 5 years?
Bottom line is we'll always be relevant in basketball because of our history of championships and NBA players. You'll always be a commuter school full of kids that couldn't get into NYU.

Houston WAS great, St. John's WAS great, UCLA WAS great. There are lots of teams who had their dynasties and some even won championships. UConn is not the only basketball team to claim those. Far from it. Success today does not guarantee tomorrow. What does 4 rings in the Big East era mean 20 years down the road in the AAC? Nothing. It will be "Oh, hey remember that UConn dynasty back in the day? They were really good". And that's it. Winning today does not buy you a ticket to future NCAA tourneys and does not gain you any LOI's from future top 10 recruits. It earns you props in an argument about the past. If UConn fans are being honest, the logical thing to do would be to feel thankful for the Big East era success but very nervous for the future if you don't get your invite. So I'm not falling for the false bravado. I think I simply struck a chord down a road no UConn fan wants to think about heading down.

The Yankees were the most dominant professional American sports franchise for the better part of the past 20 years. Their core is old, graying, and retired. They have now missed the playoffs two straight years. The future is very uncertain. My point is, do you think Yankees fans could see it coming in 1999? No. They would respond the same way you UConn fans did. You suck man! Your team sucks! We will always be amazing ra ra! Yankees fans said it would never end. Then it did. UCLA fans said it would never end. Then it did. Miami football fans said it would never end. Then it did. My point: be humble because you are not in a position of power. You are on the outside looking in at the football studs. The Big East does not want to sit at the football stud table so we are irrelevant in this discussion. The Big East is dedicated to hoops and does just fine in that niche. UConn is the school that wants so much more. The Big East has a foundation of concrete. The foundation of the AAC is shaky at best. It's a mix of low majors, mid majors, and former majors. It plays football but sucks. The former majors want out. They are just begging for that invite. But no one promised it would come. Maybe Cincy, ECU, UCF, and Memphis get plucked but UConn is left behind. Who knows? That's the point. The future of UConn basketball is very much in doubt. No more super conference, no more HOF coach, no more MSG, no more stability. It's all or nothing. Go to the ACC/B1G and UConn will easily continue their greatness. But if the F5 conferences still don't want you then the AAC is your new home for a longgggg time and that will undoubtably make UConn basketball a "was" program instead of an "is" program. I'm not talking next year I'm talking the next 10-15 years.

Reaction Score

And St John is in the NEW Big east not the old big east. So now it isnt the old St John (C) in the old Big East but has become St John (D) in the new Big East. You also assume that the NEW Big east is better then the AAC which is up for debate.

Reaction Score
The AAC is better than the BE right now, and that's not because the AAC is good. It's because the BE has had a decline. I'm surprised this is so, but when a Providence team that graduated best players is your 3rd best, you may be in trouble. And they're not ranked.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This tethering thing makes no sense. I don't get it. One of them is waiting for the other to commit to UCONN...so they can then commit somewhere else? I think they are both on the 'first come first serve' offer basis. And obviously, they aren't looking to play together. Someone explain this to me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One final four in the early 1950's (when you were second fiddle in your own city to CCNY), one thirty years later and nothing in the subsequent thirty years does not qualify as great.

Go ahead and predict our imminent death. It's been done before and we've won national titles to prove them wrong.

Yes, the AAC is barely above mid-major but hell, the current incarnation of the Big East is basically the same, without a school that won anything since Reagan was president.

Reaction Score

I find it interesting how much you overrate the Big East. Take a look at the Big East's accomplishments over the last 20 years. Then remove the accomplishments of UCONN and Louisville and look at what's left. The Big East of the last 2 decades was basically UCONN, Louisville, a bunch of garbage programs, and some decent programs that are the poster children for choking when it matters most.

I also find it interesting how much you overrate the inportance of what conference a team plays in. If Ollie gets people to the league on a consistent basis, we will continue to get recruits, because recruits care about that 1000x more than what teams they are playing in their conference. No one good would be going to Kentucky if playing in a good conference was important.

And as I mentioned before, you have no idea what level conference The American will be going forward.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lot's of things can happen. But the school doesn't have to honor their offer even if a kid accepts. I think this isn't uncommon? Read point 26 here: 50 Critical Tips for Landing an NCAA Scholarship

26. Don’t bank on verbal offers:
One of the ugly sides of athletic recruiting is verbal offers and the fact that they are often rescinded. Know that nothing is official until you sign a letter of intent.

Also, the school can keep recruiting another kid (eg Newman), stop talking to eg Briscoe and accept the other Newman as well. They can then make it known that Newman will get the minutes; Briscoe would then be hard pressed to stay with his 'commitment'.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting how much you overrate the Big East. Take a look at the Big East's accomplishments over the last 20 years. Then remove the accomplishments of UCONN and Louisville and look at what's left. The Big East of the last 2 decades was basically UCONN, Louisville, a bunch of garbage programs, and some decent programs that are the poster children for choking when it matters most.

I also find it interesting how much you overrate the inportance of what conference a team plays in. If Ollie gets people to the league on a consistent basis, we will continue to get recruits, because recruits care about that 1000x more than what teams they are playing in their conference. No one good would be going to Kentucky if playing in a good conference was important.

Is he sure that Xavier isn't looking to return to the A10? Seemed like a better conference last year. St. Je's was certainly more formidable than Villanova.

Reaction Score
The difference between the Big East and AAC is this: Many more tournament appearances for the Big East. AAC lost Louisville which no one factors in the conversation. They are an automatic championship contender. Gone. So take one NCAA berth away, they won't be there to help. All that's left is UConn, Cincy, and Memphis as the real threats. Temple was awful, SMU is only good because of Brown and he's only there briefly, Tulane is Tulane, Tulsa is Tulsa, ECU is ECU, Houston is Houston, etc. The Big East has numerous threats. Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's Seton Hall, PC, Creighton, Xavier, etc. All of these teams compete at a high level, have great recruiting, and can be ranked any given year. Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, UCF, Houston are not those kinds of teams to easily become ranked every once in a while. The recruiting is a HUGE difference. The Big East is #2 out of all conferences beating out BCS conferences in terms of recruiting. What is the AAC? 5th? 6th? All of our schools play basketball at a high level and have history. They can all take turns being good in mini cycles and get ranked. AAC schools can't do that beyond a few.

The Big East is Ralph Lauren. Familiar name brand. Known for quality. The AAC is the store brand clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom