Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe (Committed to Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What...happened here?

A varmint stuck his head out of his hole and dared the rest of us to blow it off Caddyshack style. So that's what were doing.

It's all right. Beats pizza and lobster rolls.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised we're after Briscoe. I can't imagine jalen Adams will be pleased if we bring in another point guard?

Eh, he can flex his two game, which is probably more developed at this point (at the college level).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The funny thing about this guy is that I don't even think he's a troll. He's simply a lesser version of RutgersAl, completely comfortable in his blithe ignorance.

Side note, I miss RutgersAl dearly. Perhaps Johnny can develop into his role.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Eh, he can flex his two game, which is probably more developed at this point (at the college level).

How many examples of 2 PG offense have we seen> Doron & KO, Moore & El Amin. I love it! JC loved it. KO loves it

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How many examples of 2 PG offense have we seen> Doron & KO, Moore & El Amin. I love it! JC loved it. KO loves it

And of course Shabazz/Kemba, Boat/Shabazz. It's a long and distinguished list.

Hell the three PG look has reated its head at times last year: Boat/Shabazz/Tsam

I expect to see Boat/Tsam/Cassell on the floor at the same time on occasion this year as well.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The the UK "low priority" talk is dumb. He's has a scholarship offer from them. He can accept whenever he wants. You think they put a stipulation on his offer but not one to Charles Matthews? Rediculous.

Yes. We have about 20 offers out now and many of them are conditional. That's how the process works.

Reaction Score
Any concern that Jalen and Isaiah can't play together seems kind of far fetched as well; they seem like polar opposite players, except that they both play point

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Any concern that Jalen and Isaiah can't play together seems kind of far fetched as well; they seem like polar opposite players, except that they both play point
They're both ball-dominant. Always tough to get two guys like that into the same backcourt, especially when neither is exactly a marksman from downtown.

Reaction Score
Yes. We have about 20 offers out now and many of them are conditional. That's how the process works.

I don't know how true that is. Show me facts how you know we put conditions on our scholarship offers. I want your source. For 2015 we're going after Stone, Newman (some disagree), Briscoe, Jones, Clarke, and Mack. You know we're telling a kid like Mack he can only come here if (fill in the blank) doesn't commit? I don't believe that. I think it's first to say YES.

That logic means UK is prioritizing Charles Matthews ahead of Briscoe. They'll let him accept their offer but put conditions on the consensus #1 point guard in the country? I don't think so.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
UConn does just fine playing those types of guys together.

See Napier, Shabazz, and Boatright, Ryan.
Only worked after Boat accepted the sidekick role. And it's worth noting that he shot 37% from 3, and Shabazz was over 40%. No way either Adams or Briscoe come close to that number as freshmen.

Reaction Score
1. UConn owns the Garden? Google maps says that UConn is 138 miles and 2 hours 30 minutes from MSG. More like a rental when they played there back in the old Big East. Any team that is really good at the time will draw fans there. When SJ is good like in 2011 the place was packed full. So don't pat yourselves on the back too much. St. John's whether we are #1 or #320 is the only school to play in MSG for college hoops as our home court. It's a big perk and I understand why you hate that. It beats playing on farms in Storrs.

2. IB most likely will not want to go to UConn since you already have guards. He doesn't want to share. But who knows? Lots of coaches are grimy recruiters. Maybe they try a last second offer like hiring one of his coaches like Seton Hall did with Whitehead.

3. UConn does not have a national TV deal. St. John's does. And you may talk about the ratings (even though it just had 1 year), but the point is that all of his family members and friends who can't make the games in person can watch at home from anywhere. That is bigger than you might think.

4. Storrs is not exactly the center of the universe like NYC.

5. I actually agree in being surprised that Baron's quote has not hurt him recruiting. He also is definitely not the greatest in game coach or player developer but he somehow gets those top recruits to come. That's all that matters. Other coaches can help develop. If we do get Briscoe and we still don't make the tourney though, I'd think Lavin gets fired.

6. I think you guys made the right decision. Football is definitely your sport and where you make your mark. 1-6 (0-4) in the mighty AAC featuring stalwarts like Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc. I have to say I was wrong about UConn. You guys are set to be the northeast version of the U from the 80's! No but seriously it cracks me up that people still think UConn is a football school. Once you run out of money from your football program we will leave the door open for ya.
1: Like saying the Mets own New York
2: Implying UK doesn't/won't have guards
3: Please look at UConn's schedule and see how many of our games are on ESPN/2. We know that you're on FS1; congratulations lmao
4: It is the CBB capital though
5: "he somehow gets those top recruits to come. That's all that matters." Yeah, screw winning, player development, getting them in the league. You're basically saying your guy is Diet Cal.
6: "people still think UConn is a football school" Never did, never will. You're just making up now and should be embarrassed.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
A Briscoe/Adams backcourt would be totally feasible. Both guards are around 6'3". This would be the tallest backcourt of 2 point guards we've had since KO and Sheffer. Plus, Adams chose to go to Brewster Academy this year where there is an extraordinary amount competition at point guard at that school. I don't think Briscoe would phase him.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't know how true that is. Show me facts how you know we put conditions on our scholarship offers. I want your source. For 2015 we're going after Stone, Newman (some disagree), Briscoe, Jones, Clarke, and Mack. You know we're telling a kid like Mack he can only come here if (fill in the blank) doesn't commit? I don't believe that. I think it's first to say YES.

That logic means UK is prioritizing Charles Matthews ahead of Briscoe. They'll let him accept their offer but put conditions on the consensus #1 point guard in the country? I don't think so.
Sometimes it's the first to say yes and sometimes players are prioritized and the offer is indeed conditional. Depends on the kid and the situation.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Briscoe. But I think the team does significantly better with a freshmen Adams, and juniors Terrence and Cassell. Throw in a sophomore star Hamilton and a senior Omar Calhoun at the 3 and we're looking good.

Having a logjam at a position can really do more harm than good. We've never really done well when we've stocked up many legit players at the same position ...

Reaction Score
Sometimes it's the first to say yes and sometimes players are prioritized and the offer is indeed conditional. Depends on the kid and the situation.

Can I have an example of these prioritized/conditional offers? I can't find anything on google. A coach may want one PG for his recruiting class and say to potential PG recruits the first to says 'yes' get's the scholarship. Sure that happens but telling a kid you can only accept this scholarship if (fill in the blank) doesn't is something much different.
The timing of the scholarship can be an indication of the coaches priority (not always) but once it's officially offered I find it hard to believe there any conditions attached. I could be wrong but just need evidence to prove me wrong. It's always been my understanding it's simply the first to say yes.

Reaction Score
Can I have an example of these prioritized/conditional offers? I can't find anything on google. A coach may want one PG for his recruiting class and say to potential PG recruits the first to says 'yes' get's the scholarship. Sure that happens but telling a kid you can only accept this scholarship if (fill in the blank) doesn't is something much different.
The timing of the scholarship can be an indication of the coaches priority (not always) but once it's officially offered I find it hard to believe there any conditions attached. I could be wrong but just need evidence to prove me wrong. It's always been my understanding it's simply the first to say yes.
I can't imagine that the Offer is sitting there forever just waiting for the recruit to say yes… I would have to assume that if the recruit does not say yes to the initial Offer, there would have to be some type of counter-agreement from the school if the recruit were to come back & say that they were now going to accept the Scholarship Offer.

Similar to a contract that requires a counter-signature to become an official agreement.

Reaction Score
where is the spin coming from that UK doesn't really want Briscoe? Have the UK insiders stated this or is this boneyard spin to keep it business as usual and malign our recruiting when he eventually goes to St Johns?

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that the Offer is sitting there forever just waiting for the recruit to say yes… I would have to assume that if the recruit does not say yes to the initial Offer, there would have to be some type of counter-agreement from the school if the recruit were to come back & say that they were now going to accept the Scholarship Offer.

Similar to a contract that requires a counter-signature to become an official agreement.

Unless the coach pulls the offer, I believe it stands as long as there is an open spot. Some of these kids are offered in 9th and 10th grade and wait to senior year to decide.

I just don't think Ollie is telling Mack, "hey we like you but I'm only giving you a scholarship if Clarke says no."
I especially don't think Calipari or any other coach is giving Briscoe a similar ultimatum. It all comes down to how many spots remain and who says yes first!

Reaction Score
where is the spin coming from that UK doesn't really want Briscoe? Have the UK insiders stated this or is this boneyard spin to keep it business as usual and malign our recruiting when he eventually goes to St Johns?
They apparently just have other priorities.

Reaction Score
They apparently just have other priorities.

*shrugs*, hey if someone has proof saying as such I'd like to see it. When it was obvious that Diamond Stone had no "real" offer from UK, the UK guys had no problem stating as such on twitter and on their boards, if I missed them do the same with Briscoe, I'd like to see it. It just seems weird that when Calipari went full staff to meet with Briscoe, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK". When Briscoe visited UK, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK". When Calipari had his Dick Tracy era henchmen Slice Rohrssen visit Briscoe shortly after the visit, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK"....and "KO needs a recruiter like that on his staff to bolster his recruiting efforts". Now that it seems that things have shifted in St John's favor, and it appears that Briscoe is going to do what many figured he would do all along and go to one of the bum local schools and be the face of their program and play as many minutes and get as many shots as he wants(I'm not knocking it), the boneyard consensus is "well UK never really wanted him". What???

Reaction Score
*shrugs*, hey if someone has proof saying as such I'd like to see it. When it was obvious that Diamond Stone had no "real" offer from UK, the UK guys had no problem stating as such on twitter and on their boards, if I missed them do the same with Briscoe, I'd like to see it. It just seems weird that when Calipari went full staff to meet with Briscoe, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK". When Briscoe visited UK, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK". When Calipari had his Dick Tracy era henchmen Slice Rohrssen visit Briscoe shortly after the visit, the boneyard consensus was "he's going to UK"....and "KO needs a recruiter like that on his staff to bolster his recruiting efforts". Now that it seems that things have shifted in St John's favor, and it appears that Briscoe is going to do what many figured he would do all along and go to one of the bum local schools and be the face of their program and play as many minutes and get as many shots as he wants(I'm not knocking it), the boneyard consensus is "well UK never really wanted him". What???

Summed up perfectly!

I still wouldn't count us out. We make A LOT of sense for Briscoe. All these "journalists" predicting St. John's are still just guessing. The 2 main guys covering Briscoe for the post and ledger predicted at final 3 of UK, St Johns & Mizzou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom