Is J Carey on campus tomorrow? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Is J Carey on campus tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Chief might not be an insider like OZ but he know more basketball then 95% of Boneyard. I believe that he has some sources but is definitely not connected to the program that he is chilling with chills. One can always get some inside scope by luck. I got some inside scoop this yr by talking to a active staff members at Maxs in Springfield and then playing a random pick up basketball game with Ollie's inner circle. I always thought that the chief's info was more credible then the anti ollie posters here

Thanks for the basketball kudos. I have never labeled myself with any label, that's for others to do. Just for the record , I was chilling with Chill @ Blaze and much of what I said a week ago has quite frankly played out or started to. As for predictions, the track record speaks for itself , and if it's pure luck - I should be playing Powerball instead.

Whtmd, I will make another prediction and I have no direct source who has flat out told me this and I would never ask him. While St Joseph's is 100% serious, I don't see Calhoun coaching at St Joseph's. He has been spending more and more time in South County, RI, has a house there and is a member of a golf club there - he seems happy and content - unlike when he was coaching and always needed a foil.
Maybe, he will change all this life style when the weather chills but I don't believe all this BS how he wants to drive the team bus to let's say Bentley College and make peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

temery

What?
Reaction Score

This jumped off the page:

“He is a priority and they plan in two years to get [him] to the league,” John Carey, the player’s father, toldZAGSBLOG about UConn.

I love the quote, but find it funny (can't think of a better word) that we want other recruits to ignore their parents, but really hope Carey listens to his father.

Winning parents over is huge, but we need the player to fall in love with UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the basketball kudos. I have never labeled myself with any label, that's for others to do. Just for the record , I was chilling with Chill @ Blaze and much of what I said a week ago has quite frankly played out or started to. As for predictions, the track record speaks for itself , and if it's pure luck - I should be playing Powerball instead.

Whtmd, I will make another prediction and I have no direct source who has flat out told me this and I would never ask him. While St Joseph's is 100% serious, I don't see Calhoun coaching at St Joseph's. He has been spending more and more time in South County, RI, has a house there and is a member of a golf club there - he seems happy and content - unlike when he was coaching and always needed a foil.
Maybe, he will change all this life style when the weather chills but I don't believe all this BS how he wants to drive the team bus to let's say Bentley College and make peanuts.

This man is a God damn artist. The only reason I don't think he's the greatest troll of all-time is because I don't think any human being is capable of making this stuff up.

Reaction Score

Point Judith or Shelter Harbor? Both great tracks good for JC whatever makes him happy.

C

Chief00

I love the quote, but find it funny (can't think of a better word) that we want other recruits ignore their parents, but really hope Carey listens to his father.

Winning parents over is huge, but we need the player to fall in love with UConn.
So true.

Reaction Score
KO and Boeheim teaching at a coaching clinic at Carey's HS:

That actually looks like an awesome coaching clinic to go to. I try to head to a few a year, and I haven't seen this advertised anywhere at all.

Any Boneyarders going?

Reaction Score
KO and Boeheim teaching at a coaching clinic at Carey's HS:

Saw the name "Jimmy Salmon" and looked it up and found this:

Carey will travel to Miami, Connecticut, Villanova, Syracuse and Kansas on his basketball fact-finding mission. His New Jersey Playaz and Immaculate Conception (N.J.) coach, Jimmy Salmon, said he's unclear right now when Carey plans to make a decision.

"I've been coaching 30 years and I still haven't figured it out. I think in the end, guys sometimes get tired of the phone calls," Salmon said. "They crave it in the beginning, then some of them get tired of it. I don't know if he's hit that point yet. I think he's enjoying the process, not milking it, just taking it in. We have not said whether it's going to be an early or late decision."

Wasn't he mixed up in some stuff as an assistant somewhere quite a while ago? I could be mistaken thinking Seton Hall or something.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
That actually looks like an awesome coaching clinic to go to. I try to head to a few a year, and I haven't seen this advertised anywhere at all.

Any Boneyarders going?

I hadn't seen it yet, but I said the same thing to my buddy / coach.

PS: I thought the exact same thing about the parts they coach ... Ollie goes there to teach great guard play, he's no dummy. Boeheim on the other hand ...

Reaction Score
And he'll be teaching "winning guard play" while boeheim teaches "the zone defense" lmaoooooo how much more perfectly set up can that be hahaha

As funny and simple as it sounds it's really just that. One coach while good is not known for sending his guards to very lengthy successful pro careers while the other one spent 13 years in the NBA, played with some of the greatest guards to ever play the game in both college and the pros, was coached by and assisted one of the greatest college coaches of all time, was coached by some of the greatest professional coaches of all time and won a national championship after having mentored and coached the best guard in the country maybe the two best so which coach should this kid play for?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As funny and simple as it sounds it's really just that. One coach while good is not known for sending his guards to very lengthy successful pro careers while the other one spent 13 years in the NBA, played with some of the greatest guards to ever play the game in both college and the pros, was coached by and assisted one of the greatest college coaches of all time, was coached by some of the greatest professional coaches of all time and won a national championship after having mentored and coached the best guard in the country maybe the two best so which coach should this kid play for?

In fairness, Boeheim has quite a few guards in the league right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wasn't he mixed up in some stuff as an assistant somewhere quite a while ago? I could be mistaken thinking Seton Hall or something.

He's run the Playaz forever and was at Patterson Catholic back in the day.

He coached Tim Thomas in high school and was his cousin - Villanova hired him after Thomas committed to them. They were always rumored to be a package deal and Nova gave him the restricted earnings position just before school started in TT's freshman year.

Obviously, Salmon was Kevin Freeman's coach at Patterson as well.

There was a rumor that Nova or UConn would be the landing spot for the package deal. (That was the year Howie left for Central so there was an opening.) But UConn was never really in the running for Thomas - it was going to be between Nova and Rutgers and once John Leonard left Nova to coach Manhattan, it was pretty clear they were going to land Thomas and hire Salmon.

Reaction Score
In fairness, Boeheim has quite a few guards in the league right now.

Off the top of my head (as I don't make a habit of following Cuse guards) Waiters, Carter-Williams, Ennis, and maybe Gbinije??? Prior to last season all three of those guys had been disappointments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head (as I don't make a habit of following Cuse guards) Waiters, Carter-Williams, Ennis, and maybe Ghinije??? Prior to last season all three of those guys had been disappointments.

Totally Boeheims fault.....

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
His guards are usually ultra prepared for the league ... See Carter-Williams, Waiters, Ennis ... Awful defenders, no jump shots, inefficient scorers, just what the NBA is looking for.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head (as I don't make a habit of following Cuse guards) Waiters, Carter-Williams, Ennis, and maybe Ghinije??? Prior to last season all three of those guys had been disappointments.

Malachi Richardson played 22 games for Sacramento last season, although he's probably closer to a wing.

He's got 2 PGs, both of whom are scrubs on one-year minimum deals.

I didn't say they were great players - I think the most important part in the eyes of a recruit is where those guys were drafted and how long it took them to get there. Carter-Williams played two years at Cuse and went in the lottery. Ennis played one year and went in the first round. Waiters is a ball dominant two guard who went fourth overall after two years and Richardson is a guard/wing type who went in the first after one year, not to mention Jonny Flynn who went sixth in the draft after his junior season. None of these guys were can't-miss prospects and all of them, provided they've been able to manage their money, are living the good life. Besides, I have always found it difficult to hold coaches responsible for what happens to a player after they leave the program (granted, with Syracuse guys there is the element of having to re-learn man-to-man defense that doesn't exist with other programs).

I still think UConn is the place for any lead guard to be, but if we're selling Carey on the idea of us being able to get him to the NBA sooner than Cuse can, I'd say they have a decent counterargument.

Reaction Score
Totally Boeheims fault.....

I find it funny you're posting on a UConn board. Surely the mighty Cuse nation wouldn't concern themselves with what the lowly mid-major UConn fans say about their hall of fame nose picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom