Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The guy isn't even our coach yet and people are complaining. It wasn't fair to complain about Ollie after six years but it's not even year one yet and the Ollie pollyanas already want Hurley gone. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

To be fair it's happening on both sides, even Tenspro is starting to hedge his bets.

The "nobody will be happy unless the next coach is the second coming of a certain HOFer" thesis looks stronger by the day.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
What's up with cutting Ollie so much more slack than Hurley?

Because he took us to the top of the mountain. Unfortunately he has also brought us the the lowest valley. If UCONN extends an offer, may they should consider the UMBC coach.

Reaction Score
As coach K said at halftime. Duke has been making shots and URI hasn't. The coach can't shoot it for them. Duke is much better team as they should be. Hurley would be a great addition to uconn. Let's face it he can't be any worse then KO. No offense, defense, recruits the past couple years.

Reaction Score
You need talent to win a title, but only top 20ish talent. You don't need Kentucky/Duke level talent. We rarely had Kentucky/Duke level talent under Calhoun.

Reaction Score
If Hurley is the guy (and regardless as to who the guy is), I'm thinking the new coach should bring in a staff with no UConn connections, complete break, completely fresh start.... Jim Calhoun being back as an influence to the program will be the link to the bridge to the history/legacy. Let the new guy make history.....

So he should cut ties with Tom Moore who has recruited some of UConn's best players to Storrs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And we had a huge size disadvantage against UK in 2014. Tough to make that argument.
Size disadvantages are severely neutralized when the team with size doesn't have a point guard (as UK didn't) and the smaller team has two (as UConn did). Size helps, but as has been shown over and over having a top quality backcourt with a questionable frontcourt in the tournament is far superior to having a top quality frontcourt with a questionable backcourt. This Duke team has more size than URI but also has quality ball handlers. It's because they're Duke and URI is URI.

Reaction Score
Well seeing his team is currently getting owned by almost 30 points I don't see how he is better than KO. I hope Rhode Island loses by 50 lol.
Do you still hope that Connecticut implodes and we lose even more games now that KO gone..

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Yes, it is. Why do you -- someone who thinks Ollie is a better coach than Hurley at this point in time -- think you have any high ground from which to question others' intelligence?

You are the one attacking me so chill. I never said anything to you questioning your intelligence.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And we had a huge size disadvantage against UK in 2014. Tough to make that argument.

We had the best player in the tournament. And the best defender in the tournament.

We lacked size on the perimeter of that game. But we had 6'9-7' guys up front.

Reaction Score

Really?

We had the best guard in the entire tournament in Shabazz and the best defensive guard in the country in Boatright. Our smallball was a great matchup against UK, URI's version is a horrible matchup vs Duke.

Duke is better at everything compared to URI. Better shooting, better bigs, better guards, better coaching.

Our 2014 squad had much better guards, better shooting and, I can't believe I'm actually saying this - better coaching. We also out-rebounded UK IIRC.

Sorry, basketball is just a wee bit more nuanced than you're making it out to be.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun never got past the second round at Northeastern, maybe we shouldn't have hired him either, and he had a future NBA all star on three of his Northeastern tournament teams.

Jim Calhoun never won an NCAA tournament game with Reggie Lewis. Calhoun must have sucked.

Last edited:

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
You must have a sub-80 IQ

You need to get a life and stop being a bully. You must take lots of joy in putting others down to make yourself feel like the bigger man.

Reaction Score
URI has a 6'4 200 lb guard checking Bagley. They had a nice season but it's still an A-10 team, they aren't that talented compared to the big boys around the country. They are outclassed in every aspect of the game compared to Duke, especially given the Bagley and Carter. That's a cruel matchup for URI.

As I said in the other thread, if anything it's a compliment to Hurley's coaching. He had a great year considering he didn't have outstanding talent, even compared to the other good A-10 teams. Sure, they were the best team in the conference, but they weren't head-and-shoulders above the rest of the league in terms of talent.
Seriously. Give this guy some height and real players--the top players in the NE and some of the better in the TriState--and then let's see what he can do.

As it is he already took out a team with significantly more talent than his (OU).

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Y'all need to stop arguing with this posters. He's the one who said 'Ollie would win his arbitration and be our coach next year.' Do you really need to spend your time arguing with that guy?

Thank you for stalking my post history. I am.allowed to post my opinion. Make your opinions no need to personally target others.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
You understand so little about the game of basketball that it physically makes me cringe when I read your posts.

How can you judge how much I know about basketball from like two sentences I wrote? Post your opinions about uconn basketball and stop personally belittling others.

Reaction Score
As coach K said at halftime. Duke has been making shots and URI hasn't. The coach can't shoot it for them. Duke is much better team as they should be. Hurley would be a great addition to uconn. Let's face it he can't be any worse then KO. No offense, defense, recruits the past couple years.
@Huskyfan4evr, he will always be worst than KO. He will never win a National Championship. Hurley worshippers, stop hedging your bets now.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't hedge now @intlzncster. Hurley better be as good as gold if he's the coach at UCONN. There is many people on this board that worships Hurley and thinks he is closest thing to God. He coached in the A 10 which is much worst than the American. His team would have finished under .500 if they were in the American this season.

What do you mean "don't hedge"? From Day 1, I've always said it's a gamble no matter what you do....and that I don't know if Hurley's the guy. All you can do is look at overall track record, and go with that. If that's what we are doing, find me a viable candidate with a better track record than Hurley.

Nobody. I mean nobody thinks he's god or is definitely the answer. We're all making educated guesses.

He coached in the A 10 which is much worst than the American. His team would have finished under .500 if they were in the American this season.

This is nonsensical. First of all, the idea of taking a team from a worse conference and expecting them to run a better conference is ridiculous anyway. Outside of the rare exception like Gonzaga.

His team would have pasted teams like UCONN by 20+ regularly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom