Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Yep - the one game snapshot against a team that is doing to them what that team should be doing to them gets everyone in a tizzy.....

How are you so sure this is a one time thing? How can we trust Hurley's coaching 100%? Coaching is overrated. Recruiting trumps coaching most of the time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you not see a difference in being owned by 30 points vs. a Duke team littered with future NBA players and being owned by 30 points against Memphis and Temple?

I wonder whether or not you'll still be posting here once the settlement is agreed to.

Not concerned by the blowout. It’s expected. The talent difference is huge. But the URI offensive continues to concern me. Heavy on ball screens and very little ball movement. It looks too much like the UConn offense. I really, really want to see us play exciting basketball again, and this isn’t encouraging. I’ll still be excited if he’s the guy. But I’ll expect better offense than this.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well seeing his team is currently getting owned by almost 30 points I don't see how he is better than KO. I hope Rhode Island loses by 50 lol.

Getting clobbered by Duke with a RI roster doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

Reaction Score
Not concerned by the blowout. It’s expected. The talent difference is huge. But the URI offensive continues to concern me. Heavy on ball screens and very little ball movement. It looks too much like the UConn offense. I really, really want to see us play exciting basketball again, and this isn’t encouraging. I’ll still be excited if he’s the guy. But I’ll expect better offense than this.

You just gotta hope that he and Tom Moore can recruit a higher caliber of player.

Reaction Score
Is Hurley still the presumptive favorite and handpicked successor for the Boneyarders?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How are you so sure this is a one time thing? How can we trust Hurley's coaching 100%? Coaching is overrated. Recruiting trumps coaching most of the time.

Then why does Sean Miller continue to lose? Why did Rick Barnes? And so on and so on...

Nobody trusts Hurley's coaching 100%. Nobody. There is no coach in the country outside of 3 or so whom you trust more than 90%.

Reaction Score
URI has a 6'4 200 lb guard checking Bagley. They had a nice season but it's still an A-10 team, they aren't that talented compared to the big boys around the country. They are outclassed in every aspect of the game compared to Duke, especially given the Bagley and Carter. That's a cruel matchup for URI.

As I said in the other thread, if anything it's a compliment to Hurley's coaching. He had a great year considering he didn't have outstanding talent, even compared to the other good A-10 teams. Sure, they were the best team in the conference, but they weren't head-and-shoulders above the rest of the league in terms of talent.

Reaction Score
I think the sky is blue, sometimes Gray.
I think it is quicker for me to drive to Hartford than Baltimore from my home in Guilford.
I don't think Coach Oats looks like Brad Stevens.

Waiting for the inevitable arguments.
I have significant problems with the sky colors you have chosen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same can be said.about KO. Give KO Dukes roster and he will be a god. Right? Truth is picking a coach is a crap shoot.

Duke’s roster is so good that Ollie might win 20 games and make the NIT with them. Our roster is better than many of the teams playing in this tournament. Coaching is the problem. Whether Hurley is the answer, I do not know.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
URI has a 6'4 200 lb guard checking Bagley. They had a nice season but it's still an A-10 team, they aren't that talented compared to the big boys around the country. They are outclassed in every aspect of the game compared to Duke, especially given the Bagley and Carter. That's a cruel matchup for URI.

As I said in the other thread, if anything it's a compliment to Hurley's coaching. He had a great year considering he didn't have outstanding talent, even compared to the other good A-10 teams. Sure, they were the best team in the conference, but they weren't head-and-shoulders above the rest of the league in terms of talent.

And we had a huge size disadvantage against UK in 2014. Tough to make that argument.

Reaction Score
Then why does Sean Miller continue to lose? Why did Rick Barnes? And so on and so on...

Nobody trust's Hurley's coaching 100%. Nobody. There is no coach in the country outside of 3 or so whom you trust more than 90%.
Don't hedge now @intlzncster. Hurley better be as good as gold if he's the coach at UCONN. There is many people on this board that worships Hurley and thinks he is closest thing to God. He coached in the A 10 which is much worst than the American. His team would have finished under .500 if they were in the American this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The guy isn't even our coach yet and people are complaining. It wasn't fair to complain about Ollie after six years but it's not even year one yet and the Ollie pollyanas already want Hurley gone. The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

Reaction Score
If Hurley is the guy (and regardless as to who the guy is), I'm thinking the new coach should bring in a staff with no UConn connections, complete break, completely fresh start.... Jim Calhoun being back as an influence to the program will be the link to the bridge to the history/legacy. Let the new guy make history.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom