Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
I don't see him at Pitt, but I do think he might stay at URI. Worried about that actually.
This is a more likely scenario. Pitt is going to have to sign a coach like Davis who would likely jump at a P5 opportunity. Hurley is at a different point in his career. It is either UConn or URI for him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think the sky is blue, sometimes Gray.
I think it is quicker for me to drive to Hartford than Baltimore from my home in Guilford.
I don't think Coach Oats looks like Brad Stevens.

Waiting for the inevitable arguments.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m cool with Hurley. He also probably has the low floor.

Oats appears like he could have the higher ceiling.

This. There are at least a half dozen coaches that probably ... probably ... can do a great job in Storrs. Dan Hurley is one of them. So is Nate Oats. There are others.

Which is the best choice? I agree that Oats might have the higher ceiling. We shall see - both guys will end up coaching major programs.

Reaction Score
It is ridiculous to think that URI was as talented as UConn was in 2014. How can you possibly think that?

Boat, Bazz, and Deandre would ALL be the best player on that URI team. We had the best guard in the country playing for us. We had players that were taller than 6'9, unlike URI. We also had 3 point shooters, something URI has not been able to produce.

There is no reasonable comparison to make.

Doesn't that raise questions about his recruiting ability? Especially if what another poster said about Bobby being the guy that got Danny his four seniors. They're the ones that have made him his reputation as a winning coach.

Reaction Score
Giving Hurley no credit for any of his recruits is a bit much. If you think Chillious is the key for Oats, then just give Hurley Chillious and Moore, and you're all set.

And don't forget Hurley handed Oats a good program. Danny built his. Twice.

You won't get Oats to come without ponying up a similar salary. Extremely confident guy who knows he'll get his shot in a few years. He's got a nice team coming back, and some decent recruits. The University showed great commitment to him, and he's apparently a loyal guy. He and his wife love the Buffalo area; she's received her cancer treatments there the past two years and is cancer free fwiw.

Bobby didn't exactly leave him a loaded lineup. He took the #2 scorer to AZ ST and the MAC MVP and two others were thrown off the team before Oats' first year because they stole $650 from football players. He seems to have built it himself since all his top players are underclassmen plus the one year transfer from Missouri who played for him in high school.

Reaction Score
None of them right now...that we know of. That's the interesting part. I don't know if any of the young guys out there are just savants. I am pretty sure Tom Crean, Frank Martin and Thad Matta aren't, even if they are capable coaches.

So the decision for UConn is an interesting one. Are we trying to get a coach who can restore competence, as we were with Edsall? Or are we aiming higher for a guy with some risk, but more upside to potentially become great? I think clearly the latter. I also expect that any coach we hire isn't done leaning and improving. I believe that's why most of us gravitate to younger coaches who might be a Brad Stevens in waiting.

Good points about restoring competence or aiming higher. I'm for aiming higher but I'm also glad it's not my decision. And, while it's really easy for me to tout Oats based on last night's win, if they beat Kentucky Benedict better get in line.

Reaction Score
Get me someone solid and put them to work on the roster. I have no idea who is the answer and don't care to believe I do. No one really has that answer and unless its Billy Donovan we're not assured of anything. Heck even with him we aren't. I just know that very soon there will be lots of developments both at our program and others, we need someone in place to help create the best opportunity to win again as expected. The players will be available but will the slots, and can our new coach sell that UConn is and will still be UConn once again? We will see immediately upon the results when the opportunities arise with the transfers, recruits asking out and the grad transfers. If they can sell and get players, keep the one's you want they can win immediately. And quite honestly whoever they decide to hire, with the fluidity of rosters out there, I expect us back in play immediately.

Make a move, get the "right guy" in here and let's go!

Reaction Score
Well I think we root for Duke today. Waiting another week with Hurley in the tourney won’t do any good for our mental health here on the boneyard boys.

Reaction Score
No.

Shabazz, Boat, Daniels were all highly rated recruits--and higher level players than URI had/has. Facey was more highly rated than the bulk (if not all) of their players.

Kentan Facey was the 92nd ranked composite recruit who didn't play a single meaningful minute on that team. Aside from that, the rankings are very similar from top to bottom (assuming you don't include Omar Calhoun who was coming off double hip surgery):

UConn - Daniels #18, Boatright #55, Napier #82

URI - Iverson #36, Robinson #63, Terrell #64, Matthews #97, Martin #160

All of those players were upperclassmen. While you can argue UConn had sightly more top end talent, URI was deeper and more well-rounded.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Doesn't that raise questions about his recruiting ability? Especially if what another poster said about Bobby being the guy that got Danny his four seniors. They're the ones that have made him his reputation as a winning coach.

Not really, it's URI. They aren't supposed to be good. If they are, you sit up and take notice.

That other poster has an axe to grind with Hurley. Giving Bobby credit for Danny's teams is lame. You can read about the recruiting stories like EC Matthews and see that Danny was all over it. Kid hadn't even heard of URI, didn't even blink when he received an offer, but Danny sold him on his plan.

He's won everywhere he's gone. Bobby was with him for three years total (2 diff schools).

Reaction Score
Musslemen would be better, but if we have to settle fro Hurley, I guess it will have to do.

Reaction Score
Musslemen would be better, but if we have to settle fro Hurley, I guess it will have to do.
Given his experience in the NBA, etc., I would be fine with Musselman, though are his recruiting connections this far east?

Reaction Score
Given his experience in the NBA, etc., I would be fine with Musselman, though are his recruiting connections this far east?

Yeah, that would be a big question mark for sure. Plus, I think he is really posturing for an NBA job.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Well seeing his team is currently getting owned by almost 30 points I don't see how he is better than KO. I hope Rhode Island loses by 50 lol.

Reaction Score
Should how much Rhody gets buried by be a concern before we put all our eggs in here? Just a question.he stands in one spot with arms crossed or behind his back and little interaction with assistants,where Ko supposedly sat the whole game. If anything seems somewhat similar. Not stoking any flames here. What’s telling as an Ollie supporter,is no one has announced they are transferring en masse , so that says a lot.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
Is what we are seeing today what we can soon expect in Storrs?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well seeing his team is currently getting owned by almost 30 points I don't see how he is better than KO.

Do you not see a difference in being owned by 30 points vs. a Duke team littered with future NBA players and being owned by 30 points against Memphis and Temple?

I wonder whether or not you'll still be posting here once the settlement is agreed to.

Reaction Score
Depends - how often do we play teams with 5 players who will be in the NBA next year, most likely as first-round picks?

Unbelievable.

Yep - the one game snapshot against a team that is doing to them what that team should be doing to them gets everyone in a tizzy.....

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Do you not see a difference in being owned by 30 points vs. a Duke team littered with future NBA players and being owned by 30 points against Memphis and Temple?

I wonder whether or not you'll still be posting here once the settlement is agreed to.

No I see no difference. UMBC beat Virginia. That's all you need to look at. Doesn't matter who is on the floor. Basketball is basketball. You are either good or you suck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom