Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who in College Basketball beside 2 or 3 coaches is Brad Stevens?

None of them right now...that we know of. That's the interesting part. I don't know if any of the young guys out there are just savants. I am pretty sure Tom Crean, Frank Martin and Thad Matta aren't, even if they are capable coaches.

So the decision for UConn is an interesting one. Are we trying to get a coach who can restore competence, as we were with Edsall? Or are we aiming higher for a guy with some risk, but more upside to potentially become great? I think clearly the latter. I also expect that any coach we hire isn't done leaning and improving. I believe that's why most of us gravitate to younger coaches who might be a Brad Stevens in waiting.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a known program-builder. Multiple programs.

He has recruiting connections all over the Northeast and the country, and at least one highly qualified assistant in Tom Moore.

Oats could be the next Brad Stevens. Or he could flare out next year.

Hurley has an experienced team. He's also bringing 3* players to national relevance, a long stint in the top 25, and won a game in the NCAAs.

There are bigger names out there. And maybe we should consider going after them. Oats is not one of those bigger names.

What the AD needs to be finding out about Hurley:

How willing is he to adapt to the modern game? (Yesterdays shot charts seemed to indicate they were big on 3s and layups/dunks which is a good indicator. mid-range shots = bad these days.)

What assistants or adaptations will you make to offense? His offense is bad right now. Is that because of limited personnel? Or does he need to bring in an offensively minded coach to take control of that side of the ball?

How are you going to take the steps to grow as an in-game coach? His adjustments late this season have been just-okay.

Everything else he's doing well with. Their pressure D is astounding, he's developing players, almost no transfers, solid recruiting and connections in the area, history of program building etc.
So his offense is poor, he's not a good in game coach. He can recruit at URI but can he recruit at the level this board will satisfied with? If he doesn't get better offense and doesn't improve in game decisions after 9 years as a head coach how will that change here?

Yet despite all this there are many on this board who won't even entertain the thought of someone else. This hire is a crap shoot. I think all options should be explored including Oats.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a wet blanket, but if it's between us and Pitt, and he goes anywhere, he'll end up at Pitt.

And that's gonna suck. Because it's going to confirm a lot of things we fear about the state of UConn sports. But I think it's gonna happen so I'm getting both my cups ready. One for booze, the other in anticipation of the kick in the nads

Reaction Score
So his offense is poor, he's not a good in game coach. He can recruit at URI but can he recruit at the level this board will satisfied with? If he doesn't get better offense and doesn't improve in game decisions after 9 years as a head coach how will that change here?
What are you talking about? His offense is poor? He's got 3* recruits! His offense looked just fine against Oklahoma, scoring more than we did most games.

Where do you get the idea he's not a good game coach?

This is one of the worst takes on the board...I'd say in a while, but then we had someone yesterday talk about firing KO after winning a title.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I hate to be a wet blanket, but if it's between us and Pitt, and he goes anywhere, he'll end up at Pitt.

And that's gonna suck. Because it's going to confirm a lot of things we fear about the state of UConn sports. But I think it's gonna happen so I'm getting both my cups ready. One for booze, the other in anticipation of the kick in the nads

I laughed. But it hurt.

Reaction Score

Why? Because they're in the ACC?

I don't get this take.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? His offense is poor? He's got 3* recruits! His offense looked just fine against Oklahoma, scoring more than we did most games.

Where do you get the idea he's not a good game coach?

This is one of the worst takes on the board...I'd say in a while, but then we had someone yesterday talk about firing KO after winning a title.
I was responding to a post by someone else who made those statements. They were not the only ones. Even Hurley supporters have said those things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yet despite all this there are many on this board who won't even entertain the thought of someone else. This hire is a crap shoot. I think all options should be explored including Oats.

They've got a limited team inside. URI and lesser teams are often limited by personnel. Reality is, every coach has flaws. Everybody has questions. For instance, we don't know how somebody like Oats can build a program. Yet, we know Hurley can, as he's done it at 3 levels.

Hurley's got the best track record. Over any other up and comer. I don't know about being 'hyped' about him. Just that the other options aren't as good on paper.

If you told me we could get a healthy Matta, I'd be on board. But he won't coach next year, because I don't think he's up to it physically.

One thing I've seen is that Hurley is willing to learn and change. Learned a lot from coach Moore this year. I think he'd pick up a lot from JC at UCONN. He's sought his help at URI even.

As you say, it's a crapshoot. So you place your bet on the option with the best odds. Right now, based on track record, it's Hurley.

Reaction Score
Why? Because they're in the ACC?

I don't get this take.
100% yes, because of the ACC. High profile opponents and $$ matter.

And Pitt isn't like, Georgia Tech or BC. It's a program with some decent history.

I think he'll look at both programs and ask himself where there's the fewest hurdles in the path towards a rebuild. And objectively, that's Pitt.

Reaction Score
I was responding to a post by someone else who made those statements. They were not the only ones. Even Hurley supporters have said those things.
Funny, I've never heard a Hurley supporter say he can't coach in game. Nor have I heard people complain much about his offense.

This guy has turned around a HS team, and two college teams. You don't do that if you don't do things well.

His offense was second in the A10! That's not a bad offense!

Offense in conference (KenPom) for Hurley:

URI

2018: 2
2017: 2
2016: 7
2015: 9
2014: 13
2013: 14

WAGNER

2012: 3
2011: 6

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Honestly, I think the opposite. From all that I've read, he's a huge family guy, and is loving the RI area, which is near enough to CT to make it work. He's turned down Pitt before because it was too far from Jersey (and family) for his tastes.

His recruiting ties are further east than even Pittsburgh.

jmo tho

Reaction Score
I think he'll look at both programs and ask himself where there's the fewest hurdles in the path towards a rebuild. And objectively, that's Pitt.
The team has no players. It has no inroads into New York City. It's objectively worse than 4-5 ACC teams.

The rebuild from an 0-18 team that lost it's whole team is going to be much much more difficult than coming into UConn.

Reaction Score
They've got a limited team inside. URI and lesser teams are often limited by personnel. Reality is, every coach has flaws. Everybody has questions. For instance, we don't know how somebody like Oats can build a program. Yet, we know Hurley can, as he's done it at 3 levels.

Hurley's got the best track record. Over any other up and comer. I don't know about being 'hyped' about him. Just that the other options aren't as good on paper.

If you told me we could get a healthy Matta, I'd be on board. But he won't coach next year, because I don't think he's up to it physically.

One thing I've seen is that Hurley is willing to learn and change. Learned a lot from coach Moore this year. I think he'd pick up a lot from JC at UCONN. He's sought his help at URI even.

As you say, it's a crapshoot. So you place your bet on the option with the best odds. Right now, based on track record, it's Hurley.
Sensible answer, just a little surprised that so many think he is the second coming of JC. If he's the pick I hope he is all everyone wants him to be or this board will roast him alive in a year or two.

Reaction Score
100% yes, because of the ACC. High profile opponents and $$ matter.

And Pitt isn't like, Georgia Tech or BC. It's a program with some decent history.

I completely disagree for the same points that have posted 100 times on this board.
1 Pitt needs a complete rebuild
2 Pitt has to compete in a more competitive league making it harder to climb into the top 3 in the league
3. Pitt has is in a very competitive recruiting region where as UCONN should be able dominate New England recruiting.
4 We’re paying as much or more.
5 Our brand is substantially stronger than Pitt.

Reaction Score

All hires are crap shoots. Remember when most on this board criticized WM for not signing KO right away? A lot of those posters would burn KO at the stake today. Oats would be a bigger crap shoot than Hurley IMO but again, you never know. It is a crap shoot after all.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

This is an incredibly terrible post. What do you mean by his offense is poor? Compared to what?

Reaction Score
I completely disagree for the same points that have posted 100 times on this board.
1 Pitt needs a complete rebuild
2 Pitt has to compete in a more competitive league making it harder to climb into the top 3 in the league
3. Pitt has is in a very competitive recruiting region where as UCONN should be able dominate New England recruiting.
4 We’re paying as much or more.
5 Our brand is substantially stronger than Pitt.

guess we'll see. And I hope I'm wrong, guy seems like a good coach and it's important that uconn gets its perceived "first choice" to demonstrate we're still a destination program

I personally think it's much easier to sell a downed program in the ACC than a downed program in the AAC, whether it's uconn or not.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The team has no players. It has no inroads into New York City. It's objectively worse than 4-5 ACC teams.

The rebuild from an 0-18 team that lost it's whole team is going to be much much more difficult than coming into UConn.

Yeah, they're in a really tough spot. Better put up $4mill. haha

Reaction Score
This is an incredibly terrible post. What do you mean by his offense is poor? Compared to what?
Read the thread just commenting on what others have said about him, even some supporters

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sensible answer, just a little surprised that so many think he is the second coming of JC. If he's the pick I hope he is all everyone wants him to be or this board will roast him alive in a year or two.

I definitely don't think that. I do think he's the right guy to right the ship though. This is coming from someone who thinks Oats might actually be a better pure basketball coach. There's a lot more to running a major program though.

There's no second coming of JC for the record. If people aren't willing to give the next guy 3 years to prove something, then it doesn't matter who we hire. I'm hoping everyone realizes we are likely not going to be great next year, unless everything breaks perfectly right.

I think what we are seeing is that most people realize that there aren't a lot of better options out there, and hoping we nail our most likely/best candidate.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Read the thread just commenting on what others have said about him, even some supporters

You trust your basketball opinions to what other posters are saying. Go watch them this season and look at data and come up with a conclusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom