Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
100% yes, because of the ACC. High profile opponents and $$ matter.

And Pitt isn't like, Georgia Tech or BC. It's a program with some decent history.

I think he'll look at both programs and ask himself where there's the fewest hurdles in the path towards a rebuild. And objectively, that's Pitt.

I don't know what meds you are on or off. But I think you're wrong. Pitt had a brief history, no better than Georgia Tech's....you know the team we once beat in a final? How many finals has Pitt been to? BC has had almost as many good teams as Pitt.

But what I think you're ignoring is that (a) Hurley likes the northeast (b) a UConn guy, Tom Moore, is on his staff (c) a guy who became a UConn guy, George Blaney, brought his basketball career back to life (d) UConn has some decent players and some decent guys coming in (e) Pitt's whole team is transferring, and they were terrible, even compared to UConn (f) UConn has a much bigger name in hoops, and more TV exposure, despite the conferences.

If we want him, and he leaves URI, he isn't going to Pitt. I'm confident of that. It's a much worse job. Much worse. He has significant ties to UConn as well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know what meds you are on or off. But I think you're wrong. Pitt had a brief history, no better than Georgia Tech's....you know the team we once beat in a final? How many finals has Pitt been to? BC has had almost as many good teams as Pitt.

But what I think you're ignoring is that (a) Hurley likes the northeast (b) a UConn guy, Tom Moore, is on his staff (c) a guy who became a UConn guy, George Blaney, brought his basketball career back to life (d) UConn has some decent players and some decent guys coming in (e) Pitt's whole team is transferring, and they were terrible, even compared to UConn (f) UConn has a much bigger name in hoops, and more TV exposure, despite the conferences.

If we want him, and he leaves URI, he isn't going to Pitt. I'm confident of that. It's a much worse job. Much worse. He has significant ties to UConn as well.

Not for nothing, but Hurley is also friends with Jim Calhoun. He's had JC in to talk to his team a few of times in recent years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim reached out to Danny or Tom to gauge his interest.

Reaction Score
Full disclosure; I haven't read this thread in full, bust the answer is:

He better be.

Reaction Score
You trust your basketball opinions to what other posters are saying. Go watch them this season and look at data and come up with a conclusion.
Never once said that was MY assessment. I'm not convinced there is a 'better' option, just pointung out that people can't expect to get where they want in the next year or two and I'm not convinced some on this board wil be that patient.

Reaction Score
After reading this board, there are only 4 hireable coaches in MCBB. Roy, K, and Izzo and maybe somebody else depending on the day.

People would be lukewarm about Roy.

Our program has a problem. The problem is that we were spoiled by the unbelievable greatness of Jim Calhoun. Every thought of how we get a coach who will perform on that level puts us further away from trying to achieve what should be achievable.

Reaction Score

And Pitt isn't like, Georgia Tech or BC. It's a program with some decent history.

I think he'll look at both programs and ask himself where there's the fewest hurdles in the path towards a rebuild. And objectively, that's Pitt.

List me all the high profile opponents Kentucky plays in the SEC that makes the job one of the most desirable in the sport. You're definitely overrating the conference aspect.

Reaction Score
I think I have finally figured the Boneyard out (not everyone but a majority). When we are in play for a coach or recruit they become a must get. Once it is viewed as a done deal everyone come out with a list of their flaws and states we could do better.

Reaction Score
List me all the high profile opponents Kentucky plays in the SEC that makes the job one of the most desirable in the sport. You're definitely overrating the conference aspect.

Conference is definitely not as big a factor in basketball, because of the NCAA tournament. It's really tough to coach a mid-tier team in a major conference.

Reaction Score

It’s not tho

Reaction Score
Conference is definitely not as big a factor in basketball, because of the NCAA tournament. It's really tough to coach a mid-tier team in a major conference.

Yup, I'd much rather be selling the UConn brand than South Carolina or Washington State.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Forget Hurley. With the fire and passion that I just saw Mike Davis deliver to Texas Southern in his pregame speech I think we should make a run at him.

Fell asleep myself.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think we can exactly go out and get anybody we want people. This conference sucks and we are in the dumper right now. We will be lucky if Hurley wants to come here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's clear my opinion is in the minority lol

That's fine, I made my prediction and I'll gladly eat crow if he ends up at UConn.

I don't see him at Pitt, but I do think he might stay at URI. Worried about that actually.

Reaction Score
In that respect the Boneyard is a lot like marriage.
I think I have finally figured the Boneyard out (not everyone but a majority). When we are in play for a coach or recruit they become a must get. Once it is viewed as a done deal everyone come out with a list of their flaws and states we could do better.
Pretty cynical view of marrige. But I do agree about boneyard assessment.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
None of the available coaches are a slam dunk even if it is Jim Calhoun. The next coach has to stress defense and fundamentals. If the next coach can produce winning seasons the recruits will come, IMO. This is UConn. I don't say that in a cocky way either. We have a very strong and vibrant history and kids want to come here and become a part of it. The next coach just has to be the spark to relight the fire.

I think it will be Hurley.

Reaction Score
  • there are strong indications that the Huskies are zeroing in on the current Rhode Island coach
  • The other candidate UConn has, according to several sources, made overtures toward is South Carolina coach Frank Martin.
  • Among the others who remain outside possibilities for the Huskies to hire are Vermont’s John Becker and St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt.
  • Longtime UConn head coach Jim Calhoun, now 75, does not appear to be viable choice, even as a stop gap measure, at this point.
  • The school apparently believes that the ongoing NCAA inquiry into the program has already produced enough evidence for it to warrant parting with Ollie.
New Britain Herald - Rhode Island coach Hurley has UConn men's basketball program's attention

Reaction Score
Everything I’ve seen and read about Nate Oats looks and sounds really, really good.

But the resume is short, which makes hiring him problematic. I want to at the very least see how his team looks against Kentucky and go from there.

Here’s the thing...he may prove to be the next JC.

But he also may prove to be this years Shaka Smart, circa VCU, when he was THE hot young coach. Texas bought the hype and what did they end up getting? That programs no better than it was under Rick Barnes.

It’s a crap shoot.

Reaction Score
If we don’t land Hurley, the world end. All kidding aside I’ll seriously be pissed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom