Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought the UCONN game was great as many have said in this thread. I also appreciate some great team play by Iowa, some terrific passes for easy baskets. And they made their easy baskets, which is why the game was so close, in spite of the rebounding edge, until the fourth quarter. For Clark, I liked the last three pointer at the end of the third quarter to cut the lead to 11. There was excellent team play to get her open for that

This is why it was a great win for UCONN; the competition was quite good

Reaction Score
If thts not Tuck.20, thn i don't know wht is, and let's remember...SHE'S A FRESHMAN!
Is the "a" on your keyboard not working...?
Frustrated Work GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Reaction Score
As I've mentioned a couple of times in chat, I'm not sure I agree that Tuck is the best comparison to Edwards.

Tuck was a better passer, better perimeter shooter, and just all around had a stronger role in regulating the offense (as opposed to Edwards who is usually the final recipient of the ball in play).

Edwards, on the other hand, is already just as or more impactful down low than Tuck in all aspects (rebounding, scoring, defending). This will only get more obvious as time goes on, though I also think that Edwards will improve from midrange and near-long range as her career goes on.

Edwards reminds me a bit of a smaller but faster Tina Charles. A Charles Jr., if you will. ;)
Let's remember she is still a freshman. Tuck didn't start out where she finished. For me, I feel like there are moments when I see a little Tuck with the physicality and then the efficiency and motor reminds me of Collier and then when I see the 2 man game with Paige I get fond memories of Maya and Tina.

She is really the difference between last year and this year. We just didn't have anyone who could come close to her style of game.

Reaction Score
Iowa did not run out of gas. It was not that frenetic of a game, by Iowa standards anyway. Simply too many 2nd shots, too many shooters left wide open and too many of the wide open shots falling (especially threes) for a team that excluding Paige, shot 31% for the year on threes.
I do believe Iowa's inside players were worn down in the 2nd half. Having two dominate rebounding UConn bigs hurt them throughout the game. As the game went on, unless it bounced outside there were less and less Iowa rebounds.

Reaction Score
Surprised no kudos for the Iowa coach. Were exceptionally well prepared for UConn on both offense and defense. For a team with 9 losses and less talent than UConn, coach did her job. The fact that she was able to recruit Clark is another plus on her resume.

Reaction Score
As I've mentioned a couple of times in chat, I'm not sure I agree that Tuck is the best comparison to Edwards.

Tuck was a better passer, better perimeter shooter, and just all around had a stronger role in regulating the offense (as opposed to Edwards who is usually the final recipient of the ball in play).

Edwards, on the other hand, is already just as or more impactful down low than Tuck in all aspects (rebounding, scoring, defending). This will only get more obvious as time goes on, though I also think that Edwards will improve from midrange and near-long range as her career goes on.

Edwards reminds me a bit of a smaller but faster Tina Charles. A Charles Jr., if you will. ;)
Good analysis.

Reaction Score
there were less and less Iowa rebounds
There were no Iowa rebounds from the opening series in the game, where I believe Uconn had three shots, before Iowa ever got the ball. This scene repeated throughout the game. Iowa's inside players have a lot of skill, but no jumping ability whatsoever. This has been the 5 or so games of theirs I have watched.

Reaction Score
Surprised no kudos for the Iowa coach. Were exceptionally well prepared for UConn on both offense and defense. For a team with 9 losses and less talent than UConn, coach did her job. The fact that she was able to recruit Clark is another plus on her resume.
They beat Michigan in the Big 10 tournament; we just saw what Michigan can do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The post-game "presser" with Evina and Paige involved multiple "questions" by I think Karl Adamec. It was a culmination of an increasingly maddening performance by the reporters who follow the Huskies. The performance I'm talking about is that of making statements of fact as they see it and asking the players to confirm or elaborate on their opinion. They know what the want to write and they want the players to substantiate or validate it. Bloody annoying.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There were no Iowa rebounds from the opening series in the game, where I believe Uconn had three shots, before Iowa ever got the ball. This scene repeated throughout the game. Iowa's inside players have a lot of skill, but no jumping ability whatsoever. This has been the 5 or so games of theirs I have watched.
Not much foot speed either (whole team). It was kind of like Oregon St.-South Carolina, looked like one team was stuck in mud while the other team was moving around unimpeded.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That was a real killer. I think it was a 9 or 10 point margin, on back to back possessions Warnock had a pass go right thru her hands and out of bounds. UConn might've scored after both, I think any chance of a rally was done at that point.
I did not go back and look at the replay, but I think it was Martin who kinda flubbed those two passes.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Iowa returns all five starters. I'm guessing they begin the season well within the Top 10 in the nation.
Don't know if they will be ranked in the Top 10, but they will be ranked. They were not ranked at time during this season.

Reaction Score
This isn't easy for Rebecca. She gets unfairly slammed for being partial to her alma mater. So she has to be careful showering the Huskies with praise. She'd rather be accused of rooting for Iowa than for blatantly rooting for UCONN. I thought both announcers did great staying on topic & paying attention to the game.
Agree. I thought both of them made the game exciting. And they didn’t ramble on about stuff that wasn’t game related.

Reaction Score
Don't know who wrote the article about the game on UConn's website, but not one mention of Aaliyah. Stats: 31 minutes, 9-11 for 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocked shots, and stellar defense. Whoever wrote the article should be ashamed of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom