Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As of the previous game, UCONN has had 28 seasons of 25+ wins. I think it is also 28 straight sweet sixteens. Missed the Elite Eight in 2005. So these records and no consecutive losses started with the 1993-94 season.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Geno actually sat Paige for a couple of minutes and the world did not end. They continued to play well.

Iowa played as well as can be imagined and still lost by 20.

I know Clark had 20+ but at least two of her threes were off-balance from at least 5 feet behind the line with CW all over her.

No way did UConn expect some of the non-Clark shooters to make the quantity that they did.

I take ONO over their center. Every day and twice on Tuesday.

As normally happens, teams just run out of gas against UConn. UConn kept up a frenetic pace for 40 minutes and Geno never called a timeout.

I love the use of Aubrey and Anna.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It was a perfectly acceptable 20 from our perspective. Took 21 shots to get it, and didn’t really make her teammates better like she’s capable of. CW lapsed just a tiny little bit in the 3rd giving her two threes (didn’t close out quick enough on one, and played her too much for the drive and let her step back on the other - the 3 at the buzzer of the third she wasn’t on her).

But for the most part, she was absolute money on D. First half was just a banked in 3 and a back cut where she almost got the deflection.
7 in 1st half when UCONN built the lead, 2 in 4th quarter when the game was put away, 5TOS. One 3 a banked in 3

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I think my heart rate has calmed down enough for me to type now.
A great TEAM win by the Huskies!!
Iowa has some really good shooters on their team.
Points in the paint, rebounding, D, and some timely makes
were, ultimately, the story!
Go Huskies!! Onto the ELITE 8!!!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Iowa game:
  • Evina did a nice job of settling down the youngsters early on, and once again delivered a little bit of everything with 15 pts, 9 rbs, 10 ast, 2 stl & 2 blocks.
  • Aaliyah runs the court like a freight train, and she is fast becoming “Tuck 2.0” in the low post.
  • Christyn really came to play today. She was spectacular putting up 27 pts. As Geno stated during the BE tournament, “When Christyn plays like that, we are a championship team.”
  • Paige had her own stat-stuffing game with 18 pts, 9 rbs, & 8 ast,
  • Liv with a big game on the boards leading the Huskies with 11 rebounds and also added 7 assists.
  • UConn did a good job of neutralizing Clark in the first half, but that left a lot of open looks for the rest of the Hawkeyes. In the second half, Clark was hitting contested shots from the cheap seats, although the Huskies picked it up again in the 4th qtr.
  • Somehow Anna snuck into the game and hit a monster 3 and then another that was icing on the cake.
  • This was a great basketball game between 2 really talented and well coached teams. Going to soak this one in for a few days before I start worrying about the Elite 8 matchup vs ?
  • Someone said the line moved up to -17.5 at game time?
Edwards is already a better player than Tuck. More athletic, better defender, better post moves. Tuck had a 3-pointer in her arsenal; otherwise, I take Edwards.

Reaction Score
A4EB9E22-D787-4A56-A44C-0FC69631C432.jpg

I didn’t think they were allowed to like us.

Reaction Score
And despite that tight defense on Caitlin she still put up over 20 points I believe
Unfortunately for Iowa, Caitlin did not take advantage of the double teams, rotation of players to her as she was driving. These were opportunities to get the ball to an open teammate, instead of putting up highly contested shots.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Excellent team play, excellent individual play. The top talent showed up. The refs were not the focal point of the game inconspicuous even. The ABC coverage was the best we have seen and heard this season. While a little tense during the game I made it through and will now rest up for the next one. Brilliant, even enjoyed the butt pat by Paige.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You would’ve thought Lobo was on Iowa payroll calling the game
This isn't easy for Rebecca. She gets unfairly slammed for being partial to her alma mater. So she has to be careful showering the Huskies with praise. She'd rather be accused of rooting for Iowa than for blatantly rooting for UCONN. I thought both announcers did great staying on topic & paying attention to the game.

Reaction Score
If Christyn plays like that on Monday night and we get the solid tournament play of Evina, Paige, and Aaliyah, I like UConn's chances. Add Nika and some strong rebounding/defense from Liv and Aubrey, and this is absolutely a Final Four team.

I am beyond thrilled that Christyn had such a great game today on both ends of the floor, the team needed her and she needed this kind of game as well to try to get them to next weekend. And so happy with how solid Evina is. She absolutely helped her WNBA draft stock, but I would also love for her to surprise us and stick around for another year. Either way, happy all around for the team. Fun game, bright future, and excited for Monday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69