Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Evina shined bright today. Liv great job
in the paint. Aaliyah what can you say. When Christyn plays like that! Paige with a really good bad game. Aubrey with some nice minutes and the icing on the cake was Anna making 2 I repeat 2 3’s. Onward and upward

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I loved the long and respectful conversation after the game between Geno and Caitlin. He was obviously saying very nice things about her, and she was obviously appreciating it.

I don't think Geno has any thought of recruiting her, and I don't think she has any thought of leaving her native state.

Reaction Score
And despite that tight defense on Caitlin she still put up over 20 points I believe.
It was a perfectly acceptable 20 from our perspective. Took 21 shots to get it, and didn’t really make her teammates better like she’s capable of. CW lapsed just a tiny little bit in the 3rd giving her two threes (didn’t close out quick enough on one, and played her too much for the drive and let her step back on the other - the 3 at the buzzer of the third she wasn’t on her).

But for the most part, she was absolute money on D. First half was just a banked in 3 and a back cut where she almost got the deflection.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments here. Aaliyah Edwards did not play like a freshman...she finished great around the basket and her defense was really good. Christyn Williams ate her wheaties this morning...she was like a super woman. I loved the drive in the fourth quarter...a thing of beauty. Evina had a monster game...one rebound short of a triple double...in my opinion she was the MVP of the game (all around great game). Olivia played essentially in the high post, passing out of it well and getting key rebounds...her scoring took a hit but within the game plan all was well. Bueckers almost had a triple double herself. Her performance was the anti-Caitlin performance with the two of them essentially cancelling each other out. Mukurat...finally found her three point stroke...let's hope she continues it through the rest of the tournament. No Muhl...I thought we would be seeing her today...but, it is better to be safe than sorry. Aubrey is still trying to find her place / role on this team.

Iowa is far better than I expected...great team basketball, great shooters and Caitlin will be a force over the next 3 years. Their center Monica is really good.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
And Paige is on a superior all around team.

Iowa is still good though, just doesn’t have the defense or rebounding for big games like this

Clark and Paige have bright futures. It’s been a pleasure to watch such high level of play among freshmen
hey, don't neglect liyah (and i sorely missed nika, another freshman)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What a game!!! Women's college basketball at its best.

Don't let anybody says this UConn team is not physical. They really put the bodies on Iowa. Olivia and Aaliyah were banging away under the boards and won most of the battles. We out rebounded Iowa 42 - 25.

People will talk, and rightly so, about Christyn's offensive explosion. Let's not forget she made life very difficult for Clark. Clark scored 21 points on 7 for 21 shooting. The defensive objective was to make Clark work her tail off for points. Mission accomplished.

Paige did Paige with 18 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists.

And for those complaining about Anna getting minutes, now you see why. 2 for 2 from behind the arc. The last one was the dagger.

Olivia - only four points but she controlled the boards and played a tough, physical game.

Aaliyah - is The Beast of the East. She is a handful. What a game!!

And finally Evina. One rebound shy of a triple double!! Such a complete game. I'm so glad she's a Husky.

And kudos to Iowa. They came to play and didn't quit.

Reaction Score
Bueckers vs Clark was not as entertaining as the hype, but they both had solid games
Actually, neither had particularly good games: Bueckers badly missed several open shots and saved her stat line with two wide open three's at the end. Clark played a terrible game strategically. Exluding Clark, Iowa shot 8-17 on three's and 19-39 overall. When they got the ball and were open they made a good percentage of them. Instead of using the double triple coverage to get someone a better shot, Clark took extremely took high difficulty shots and missed too many of them. To me, this is her biggest weakness.

Reaction Score
What a terrific game. Iowa kept knockin down shots and UConn kept knockin down shots. UConns defense is for real folks .Edwards was a monster. All of a sudden Edwards is gonna draw alot of attention for the rest of the tournament. She scores she can pass and she is an AA. We are gonna be a very tuff out. These kids came through again time and again when Iowa made a run. Hey were young. OMG are we good and we're only gonna get better. Im so-ooooo excited about this group and the next 2 classes comin in.
And to further add to your comment your statement: "THE WILL TO WIN"

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Iowa game:
  • Evina did a nice job of settling down the youngsters early on, and once again delivered a little bit of everything with 15 pts, 9 rbs, 10 ast, 2 stl & 2 blocks.
  • Aaliyah runs the court like a freight train, and she is fast becoming “Tuck 2.0” in the low post.
  • Christyn really came to play today. She was spectacular putting up 27 pts. As Geno stated during the BE tournament, “When Christyn plays like that, we are a championship team.”
  • Paige had her own stat-stuffing game with 18 pts, 9 rbs, & 8 ast,
  • Liv with a big game on the boards leading the Huskies with 11 rebounds and also added 7 assists.
  • UConn did a good job of neutralizing Clark in the first half, but that left a lot of open looks for the rest of the Hawkeyes. In the second half, Clark was hitting contested shots from the cheap seats, although the Huskies picked it up again in the 4th qtr.
  • Somehow Anna snuck into the game and hit a monster 3 and then another that was icing on the cake.
  • This was a great basketball game between 2 really talented and well coached teams. Going to soak this one in for a few days before I start worrying about the Elite 8 matchup vs ?
  • Someone said the line moved up to -17.5 at game time?
I got in at -15. Although game was never in doubt, the line kept it exciting until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom