Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think that's true. Hit a bunch of 3s, but missed a bunch of point blank shots, couldn't grab a rebound to save their life, had some really bad TOs.
I’m struggling to remember them missing many from point blank, other than some tough runners at full speed Clark didn’t make, but my brain might not have held on to those replays. They got a bunch of good drives and dishes, especially in the third, and pretty much finished them all. Czinano made the ones where she got good seals.

I think if we got caught a break, it was the quick 0-4 that Clark started off in the fourth when she had a good rhythm in the third ... and had some pretty good looks. If she continued on one of her extended hot streaks, it could have been down to 3-4 points, and then who knows.

The turnovers were definitely a problem for Iowa. Maybe not the sheer number but the how and the when - a couple through the hands were totally unforced in the fourth, and it felt like we got a few steals here and there when we weren’t always getting stops to help us stretch the lead.

Reaction Score
As normally happens, teams just run out of gas against UConn.
Iowa did not run out of gas. It was not that frenetic of a game, by Iowa standards anyway. Simply too many 2nd shots, too many shooters left wide open and too many of the wide open shots falling (especially threes) for a team that excluding Paige, shot 31% for the year on threes.

Reaction Score
There's a word for how Rebecca called the game:
josh macuga professionalism GIF by Collider

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I’m struggling to remember them missing many from point blank, other than some tough runners at full speed Clark didn’t make, but my brain might not have held on to those replays.
I seem to remember quite a few missed drives, not just Clark. UConn was really contesting shots, so some credit to the D, but some of those shots they needed to hit and didn't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m struggling to remember them missing many from point blank, other than some tough runners at full speed Clark didn’t make, but my brain might not have held on to those replays. They got a bunch of good drives and dishes, especially in the third, and pretty much finished them all. Czinano made the ones where she got good seals.

I think if we got caught a break, it was the quick 0-4 that Clark started off in the fourth when she had a good rhythm in the third ... and had some pretty good looks. If she continued on one of her extended hot streaks, it could have been down to 3-4 points, and then who knows.

The turnovers were definitely a problem for Iowa. Maybe not the sheer number but the how and the when - a couple through the hands were totally unforced in the fourth, and it felt like we got a few steals here and there when we weren’t always getting stops to help us stretch the lead
Fatigue. By the 4th qtr Iowa was running on fumes and it showed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
a couple through the hands were totally unforced in the fourth
That was a real killer. I think it was a 9 or 10 point margin, on back to back possessions Warnock had a pass go right thru her hands and out of bounds. UConn might've scored after both, I think any chance of a rally was done at that point.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I loved the long and respectful conversation after the game between Geno and Caitlin. He was obviously saying very nice things about her, and she was obviously appreciating it.

I don't think Geno has any thought of recruiting her, and I don't think she has any thought of leaving her native state.
Geno always makes a point to speak with opposing players after a win, especially when games are so amped up. It shows respect for great player effort.

Reaction Score
E and CW came to play today. Aaliyah Edwards adds a lot to our starting lineup. She scores in the first quarter every game she starts. It gets us going. She is good enough defensively to guard almost any player. She can hit the foul line jumper Soon she will add the drive to the hoop when they come out to guard the jumper. We need the inside game to go all the way. We are rolling and the energy and focus are high.

Reaction Score
I would say this was by far the most balanced game UConn has played in recent memory. This game will give pause to the opposing staff in the elite eight game in preparing the scout, and forming a defensive game plan. Who to help off of, whether to trap the post, how many to send to the offensive glass- those decisions will be hard to make based on today’s game. I love watching basketball when it’s played like UConn played today, when all five players are a threat, and all five playing with purpose and enthusiasm. This is the most encouraged any fan should be about this team’s chances for the balance of the tournament. Great team win!

Reaction Score
Our physical game with Iowa: "Kudos! Refs let them play."
Texas A&M's physical game with Iowa State: "Abomination! ISU got cheated."
Baloney.
The refs called a jump ball after about a 1/2 second.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Iowa did not run out of gas. It was not that frenetic of a game, by Iowa standards anyway. Simply too many 2nd shots, too many shooters left wide open and too many of the wide open shots falling (especially threes) for a team that excluding Paige, shot 31% for the year on threes.
No, but I think their big girl was winded a couple of times as she had to work really hard. But she seemed to recover. They are a well conditioned team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Followed the Game on Twitter. The last few days there have been a lot of Caitlin Love (deserved) and plenty of Paige doubters that Paige didn't deserve the accolades she's getting. Many thought the accolades should be going to Caitlin. There's no conversation(tweets) saying that now. Its all Quiet on the Paige vs Caitlin discussion. IMO Slight Edge goes to Paige as she had the more all around game. If the Voters that were leaning towards Paige for Freshmen of the Year, their votes probably remained the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom