Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Paige wasn’t dominant this game, but this is the type of game that I think she likes to have. She really doesn’t want to make all the shots. She made them when it mattered.

that being said, Aaliyah Edwards was the best freshman on the court today.

very happy for CW today, I hope her play continues. Evina is our rock.

I can’t wait to get Nika back. I thought we’d need her defense today, and in fact I think we did in the first half, but everyone has stepped it up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Caitlin is a great talent but I think she really pushes it with the one on one moves. Paige doesn't do that. Caitlin with the degree of difficulty on her shots hurts the team a little. Paige is smarter. I know Caitlin is in a position where she probably has to do more, but she certainly has teammates who can shoot. She should probably try to get more assists than pushing the envelope with some of her difficult shots.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
UConn had more points, took more shots, a higher made baskets %, more rebounds, more blocks, more steals, fewer turnovers. You generally win those games! Great job by the whole team. Anna two of two treys were perfect. Happy to see Geno back, good to see the boot off Nika. Should have all hands on deck for the Monday night game. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
This is the first game of the season where all UConn players played real well. CW, E and AE were amazing while Paige did a lot of Paige things. ONO was a rebounding monster and passing well and AG and Ana contributed nicely. Team win!

Reaction Score
Caitlin is a great talent but I think she really pushes it with the one on one moves. Paige doesn't do that. Caitlin with the degree of difficulty on her shots hurts the team a little. Paige is smarter. I know Caitlin is in a position where she probably has to do more, but she certainly has teammates who can shoot. She should probably try to get more assists than pushing the envelope with some of her difficult shots.
I think the hero balls are part of her games. That's why some of them feel excitement for her games.

Reaction Score
If thts not Tuck.20, thn i don't know wht is, and let's remember...SHE'S A FRESHMAN!

As I've mentioned a couple of times in chat, I'm not sure I agree that Tuck is the best comparison to Edwards.

Tuck was a better passer, better perimeter shooter, and just all around had a stronger role in regulating the offense (as opposed to Edwards who is usually the final recipient of the ball in play).

Edwards, on the other hand, is already just as or more impactful down low than Tuck in all aspects (rebounding, scoring, defending). This will only get more obvious as time goes on, though I also think that Edwards will improve from midrange and near-long range as her career goes on.

Edwards reminds me a bit of a smaller but faster Tina Charles. A Charles Jr., if you will. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Iowa returns all five starters. I'm guessing they begin the season well within the Top 10 in the nation.
That would be interesting, I don't think they were ranked at any point his season (I couldn't definitely be wrong about that though).

Reaction Score
As I've mentioned a couple of times in chat, I'm not sure I agree that Tuck is the best comparison to Edwards.

Tuck was a better passer, better perimeter shooter, and just all around had a stronger role in regulating the offense (as opposed to Edwards who is usually the final recipient of the ball in play).

Edwards, on the other hand, is already just as or more impactful down low than Tuck in all aspects (rebounding, scoring, defending). This will only get more obvious as time goes on, though I also think that Edwards will improve from midrange and near-long range as her career goes on.

Edwards reminds me a bit of a smaller but faster Tina Charles. A Charles Jr., if you will. ;)

I think Edwards has earned a place as pre-season All American for next year. She didn't get it this year because she didn't start most of the season. But she is as good, if not better, post as there is in WCBB. I'd take her over Boston. She's more athletic, more agile, and quicker down the court.

I agree that Tuck isn't a good comparison. Edwards is a classic post player, though vastly quicker and more agile than most.

Reaction Score
That would be interesting, I don't think they were ranked at any point his season (I couldn't definitely be wrong about that though).

You're absolutely right. But they started three sophomores and a freshman. They are a completely different team now than they were during the regular season. They just dismantled Kentucky, which was ranked 16th, and beat Rutgers, which was ranked 21at. They're getting better and better. And they return all the starters who were within single digits of UConn in the fourth quarter.

And Clark will be a sophomore. And a sure-fire first team AA.

Yep, top 10.

Reaction Score
Baylor doesn't look very sharp. They might be looking past Michigan to the UCONN matchup, but they only lead by 5 with 7 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
I think Aaliyah will eventually expand her game to the arc.
Definitely. She's made it to the elbow already. She didn't have that at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Iowa, Caitlin did not take advantage of the double teams, rotation of players to her as she was driving. These were opportunities to get the ball to an open teammate, instead of putting up highly contested shots.
She’s a James Harden 2.0

Reaction Score
Not only did the ref's let them play, but the announcers were such a breath of fresh air compared to what we had been getting. And the halftime show actually talked about the game at hand! (Maybe there were no others to get in the way) ;)
I disconcertingly and shockingly agree! Ruocco's delivery is typically way too over-the-top for me but I found him refreshingly subdued compared to his usual vein-popping pitch over the slightest action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom