Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Iowa Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big 10 is clearly the best conference in women's basketball this year. For the 1st time ever? Many very good teams and one great team. While making a few ridiculous shots, Clark overall played a dumb game. Had she played smarter and taken what was given to her or Uconn not shot the lights out (for them) from the outside, game would have been in single digits.
What if, what if...,the fact was there weren’t any what if’s to happen because UCONN is simply that much of a better team.

Reaction Score
That would be interesting, I don't think they were ranked at any point his season (I couldn't definitely be wrong about that though).
They are exciting to watch, but unless they improve their defense, I can’t see them as a too 10 team. Whatever regular season succes they may have, the old adage “defense wins championships” holds true.

Reaction Score
Taurasi is second all-time in assists at UConn, with more assists than Sue, Renee, Crystal, and everyone else except Moriah.

In addition to being the all-time WNBA leader in scoring and 3 point baskets, D is also #4 all-time in assists in the WNBA.
Was not trying to denigrate Taurasi's overall skills. Still, she is a shooter first. So Clark has more Points, Assists and Rebounds per game than Paige, while playing tougher competition, with less talented teammates. How come she comes up short against Paige in everyone's estimation?

Reaction Score
and I believe both times they were in response to just made 3pt shot by Iowa.
Those were probably the 2 biggest shots of the game, as it turns out. That was the last Iowa punch that Paige answered. Alas she missed 2 (running bank and wide open 3) on the next possession, which was sort of a “narrative bummer” - had she hit one of those, it would have been a case of Paige daggers putting it away.

Although in exchange for that, Anna got herself a dagger. Good trade.

Reaction Score
Was not trying to denigrate Taurasi's overall skills. Still, she is a shooter first. So Clark has more Points, Assists and Rebounds per game than Paige, while playing tougher competition, with less talented teammates. How come she comes up short against Paige in everyone's estimation?

Look beyond the counting stats. Paige is much more efficient. And lead the country in win shares. For a more detailed analysis, look at the analytic thread that was posted today.

Reaction Score
Yeah, at one point Clark even said it could have been more of a 2 to 4 pts game (and later change it to 10). No way that game is ever a 2-4 pts game the way it was going.
Iowa was down 15 at the half. UConn maintained at least a 10 point spread most of the 2nd 1/2 and won by 20. Ballooned score? Game was fun because the offensives are electric, but never seemed in doubt.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So Clark has more Points, Assists and Rebounds per game than Paige, while playing tougher competition, with less talented teammates. How come she comes up short against Paige in everyone's estimation?
It gets into A/TO territory, and shooting percentages, defense and winning and team performance - not just winning, but style of play - Uconn plays a team style that reduces the chances for spectacular individual totals, anyone can initiate the offense and anyone can end up with the best open shot.

And some people don't think Clark comes up short and most people don't think that there is much space between them.

Reaction Score
It’s really very simple. Both are great players, but Clark has the ball in her hands most of the time; high volume. This results in high offensive stats. Paige can do all these things, but plays more as part of a team oriented game, is the best player on her team (of great players), spreads the wealth and justo does more to make her teammates better...resulting in wins. Do you think UConn would not distance itself from the rest of the league if it were in the B1G? The better league argument is irrelevant when it comes to the tournament. It’s about winning and advancing, regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Win shares is a bogus statistic! The only players that can rack up big win shares are those on teams with the most wins.
Do you know which player is the win share leader in NBA this year?
Nikola Jokic, the leader in ranked 8th team in the conference. No need to be in the best teams but if players contribute good enough they will earn the shares.

Reaction Score
t gets into A/TO territory, and shooting percentages, defense and winning and team performance
Yes, of course, its always something else: Turnovers, shooting percentage? PER is a stat that takes all of that into account and Clark is 12% higher than Paige. Now winning and team performance of course: well, it is College sports after all and there is no draft or other means to equalize talent. Therefore, talent can be stockpiled. And in a game with very few really good players, Uconn has a very costly but effective international talent and recruitment program to insure they get way more than their fare share of talent. And at the end of the day, talent wins games.

Reaction Score
Yes, of course, its always something else: Turnovers, shooting percentage? PER is a stat that takes all of that into account and Clark is 12% higher than Paige. Now winning and team performance of course: well, it is College sports after all and there is no draft or other means to equalize talent. Therefore, talent can be stockpiled. And in a game with very few really good players, Uconn has a very costly but effective international talent and recruitment program to insure they get way more than their fare share of talent. And at the end of the day, talent wins games.
As we say here on the Boneyard, "Thank you for your interest in Huskies basketball!"

Reaction Score
Actually, neither had particularly good games: Bueckers badly missed several open shots and saved her stat line with two wide open three's at the end. Clark played a terrible game strategically. Exluding Clark, Iowa shot 8-17 on three's and 19-39 overall. When they got the ball and were open they made a good percentage of them. Instead of using the double triple coverage to get someone a better shot, Clark took extremely took high difficulty shots and missed too many of them. To me, this is her biggest weakness.
While not her best game, I do hope bueckers continues to knock in open 3s in the 4th quarter. To me those were the shots that really sealed the win, and games from here out are likely going to be close. I don’t see that as saving her stat line, as every minute of the game counts equally. A near triple double as an off game is not so terrible.

agreed on Clark’s shot selection. Could have been way better.

Reaction Score
Do you know which player is the win share leader in NBA this year?
Nikola Jokic, the leader in ranked 8th team in the conference. No need to be in the best teams but if players contribute good enough they will earn the shares.
Denver has 27 wins. Teams in front have 29,30,32,33. Show me someone on a team with 20 wins and I'll believe. Uconn has 27 wins, thus 27 win shares to divide among players. Iowa has 20, which is 35% less. So Paige with say 7 win shares (out of 27) would be the same contribution as Caitlin with 4.55 shares (out of 20)

Reaction Score
Denver has 27 wins. Teams in front have 29,30,32,33. Show me someone on a team with 20 wins and I'll believe. Uconn has 27 wins, thus 27 win shares to divide among players. Iowa has 20, which is 35% less. So Paige with say 7 win shares (out of 27) would be the same contribution as Caitlin with 4.55 shares (out of 20)
I dont see your point in this post. If you are just trying to argue with me that Clark is a better player, I will stop that.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Like TN? - Oh wait you actually have to develop the talent to win titles.

Reaction Score
I loved the long and respectful conversation after the game between Geno and Caitlin. He was obviously saying very nice things about her, and she was obviously appreciating it.

I don't think Geno has any thought of recruiting her, and I don't think she has any thought of leaving her native state.
As good as Caitlin is and she surely is, how wonderful an experience was it for her to have that extended conversation with the greatest and most successful coach in the history of women's basketball??? That may be the highlight of her young basketball life and a moment she'll someday be telling her kids and grandkids .... How this legend took the time to convey his respect for her talent and her moxie right after his team had played a really impressive TEAM game and defeated a very tough opponent ... he could have hustled into the team's locker room to congratulate his winning team but instead of immediately focusing on his teams victory, he took the time to congratulate her on a well played game despite being the major focus of the Huskie's defense and fighting through early shooting issues .... Geno really showed an awful lot of class and thoughtfulness and I'm sure it meant the world to that young lady!

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is clearly the best conference in women's basketball this year. For the 1st time ever? Many very good teams and one great team. While making a few ridiculous shots, Clark overall played a dumb game. Had she played smarter and taken what was given to her or Uconn not shot the lights out (for them) from the outside, game would have been in single digits.
Hmm. I wonder who the uncoachable player is in the game today... Could it be Clark? It's not like Bluder could really force her to do things she doesn't want to do. Bluder has to know that Clark is the goose that laid the golden egg for her program.

Reaction Score
Geno always makes a point to speak with opposing players after a win, especially when games are so amped up. It shows respect for great player effort.
He does but usually only briefly .... Once in a while, if it's a player he had recruited but lost out on, it may be a bit longer but I have never seen him talk to an opposing player for anywhere near the length of time that he talked to Caitlin ...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people over estimated Iowa. Previous to today's game, they had lost NINE games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom