Interesting article - Donovan Clingan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Interesting article - Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Volleyball middle blocker? Track high hurdles? Wide receiver specializing in alley oop catches in the end zone?

Middle blocker is definitely possible. Donovan is not competing at a high level in track or football any time soon I'd think. Lol

Reaction Score
Just got home from BCHS vs New Britian game. BCHS wins 57 -50 in a very closely contested game. Clingan dominates with 37pts, 28 rebs and 10 blocks.
Have been to about 7 of his games this winter. This was his best game.
Believe they have a rematch with East Catholic on Saturday. He was sick for that game, so it should be interesting with him at full strength

Reaction Score
Even ESPN is taking notice
AFA50B07-7EBF-41E7-8244-CB4432CC2D76.jpeg

Reaction Score
Maybe he could take extra summer school courses and graduate early? I believe mike gminski did that and enrolled a year early at Duke

He's more likely to go 2023 than reclassify up

Reaction Score
He's more likely to go 2023 than reclassify up
This is an interesting option. Clingan can fulfill his desire to stay with his class at Bristol and graduate with his friends/team. Then he can do a post-grad year to mature, develop and refine skills.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting option. Clingan can fulfill his desire to stay with his class at Bristol and graduate with his friends/team. Then he can do a post-grad year to mature, develop and refine skills.

Certainly possible but idk if it's likely at all. I just know a true 2022 moving up a year is practically impossible. High schools dont do summer school for extra credits any more

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He looks like a man among boys.

But if he keeps putting up numbers like that, we're going to have some serious competition on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
Just got home from BCHS vs New Britian game. BCHS wins 57 -50 in a very closely contested game. Clingan dominates with 37pts, 28 rebs and 10 blocks.
Have been to about 7 of his games this winter. This was his best game.
Believe they have a rematch with East Catholic on Saturday. He was sick for that game, so it should be interesting with him at full strength

Thanks ucjoet good stuff. I feel bad for the kid as Coach Reilly is certainly one of the better coaches in the state no doubt so doubt they let him beat them. Hope Donovan finds a way though!

Reaction Score
Is if confirmed he plays Saturday against EC?
Was not in the paper this morning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Those guys played high school ball 40 years ago. The game has changed drastically since then; what you're saying is essentially irrelevant. TONS of guys stayed public then all over the country. Very, very few do now.

I'm sure there are examples of more recent guys that stayed in public school for 3 or 4 years. It would be great if DC and his family could reach out about those decisions and how it impacted them to help with their own decision-making process.

There is no downside to the kid staying at Bristol.

Kids racing to prep schools is normally much more about the adults who make money off the game than it is about the kids playing it. He already plays AAU ball at the top level - he doesn’t need more basketball, more travel and more wear and tear.

He’s a seven-foot sophomore who is on track to touch and go to the NBA after a year or two in college. Less is more for a 15 or 16 year old that size.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I realize that the data is a little old giveen how fast he is coming on, but how did he do against the top AAU competition?

Reaction Score
There is no downside to the kid staying at Bristol.

Kids racing to prep schools is normally much more about the adults who make money off the game than it is about the kids playing it. He already plays AAU ball at the top level - he doesn’t need more basketball, more travel and more wear and tear.

He’s a seven-foot sophomore who is on track to touch and go to the NBA after a year or two in college. Less is more for a 15 or 16 year old that size.

There is certainly potential for downside if he stays at BCHS. I'm shocked you have this take. He is practicing and playing against less talented kids 4 months of the year. The coaching isn't as good. The practice rules are more stringent. Especially true if he stays with his mostly regional AAU team.

There's also downside of going prep. The wear and tear on young bodies being a big one. His dad not being able to see all of his games, and the lack of fans is also a downside.

It wouldn't be a difficult decision if there wasn't downside to both options.

He and his family need to weigh the benefits of staying at home vs going prep. It sounds like he's really attached to his home, so if he stays home, he'll need to create a strength training program and a plan for skills improvement to stay on track with his peers at the top of the 2022 rankings. I'd think any talented local strength coach and skills trainer would be happy to take him for the publicity alone.

Reaction Score
I hope we land this kid. He is a serious player and has incredible touch at his age. Further development under the staff in the future would be immense. We need to be every player's first choice in the state of Connecticut if we are recruiting them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom