Interesting article - Donovan Clingan | The Boneyard

Interesting article - Donovan Clingan

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fantastic story. Seems like a great kid, with a level of maturity many in high school lack. Is there no prep school close enough to Bristol?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Fantastic story. Seems like a great kid, with a level of maturity many in high school lack. Is there no prep school close enough to Bristol?
Much of the article reported on the family connection to Bristol Central and the Bristol community. So, your first question is where is the nearest prep school.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Much of the article reported on the family connection to Bristol Central and the Bristol community. So, your first question is where is the nearest prep school.

Yes, because his dad is clearly struggling with the fact that Bristol Central isn't ideal for him. Yet the family connection is so vital they don't want to "send him away". He needs to be home not at a boarding school. And yes he wants to break his mom's records, but if there was a prep school close enough he could commute, that might be the best result for them. He could still be near friends and family.

Reaction Score
I'm hardly an expert on development of 15 year old bigs as a basketball player. But does it really set back his development that much staying in public high school as long as he's playing AAU ball at the right level? You play far more AAU games than high school games if you're any good? Isn't there a chance that a somewhat slower development would be compensated for by staying in a comfortable environment and not risking burning out on basketball if his top priority is (justifiably) family?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hardly an expert on development of 15 year old bigs as a basketball player. But does it really set back his development that much staying in public high school as long as he's playing AAU ball at the right level? You play far more AAU games than high school games if you're any good? Isn't there a chance that a somewhat slower development would be compensated for by staying in a comfortable environment and not risking burning out on basketball if his top priority is (justifiably) family?

The theory is he would practice each day against high level competition and improve more than in AAU where you are pretty much showcasing skills you already have acquired.
Also, as is brought up in the article, at Bristol Central he gets plenty of attention on the court and off the court and it's not always good attention. At a prep school he is one of many instead of being the only one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Terrific article. A horrible loss to the family and world. It's very likely Donovan would have been a class act anyways but the tragedy has strengthened his resolve. Would love to see him land at UConn just based on his character. And making foul shots do win games. And lose them when they are missed.

Reaction Score
There are a lot within a short drive, but they aren't necessarily basketball factories.

Reaction Score
Great article. Kid is going to be a legend when he leaves. I hope everything works out and he continues to not allow distractions to affect his mental game. It’s hard when you are in HS, even harder when you lose your mother.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There are a lot within a short drive, but they aren't necessarily basketball factories.

That is what I figured. I wasn't questioning his commitment to Bristol and his family, which is admirable. Was just wondering if there was a win-win solution out there.

Well one thing he is going to be very good with is not bringing the ball down, and obviously FTs. He's getting swarmed by multiple smaller defenders every time. Looks like he's taking at least two fouls in that picture.

Reaction Score
That is what I figured. I wasn't questioning his commitment to Bristol and his family, which is admirable. Was just wondering if there was a win-win solution out there.

Well one thing he is going to be very good with is not bringing the ball down, and obviously FTs. He's getting swarmed by multiple smaller defenders every time. Looks like he's taking at least two fouls in that picture.

Cheshire Academy is close. Maybe 25 mins. The best close basketball-centric school is probably PSA. Hour or so away

Reaction Score
Another kid who is not a fan of Boeheim. At all.

It's a ways out but we are the leader here for many reasons.

I have yet to hear of a kid who DOES like Boeheim. Even for the kids who do commit. The assistants are doing every bit of heavy lifting. The dude is just unpleasant. And I grew up a Cuse fan (dont hate me my dad lives up there).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom