Interesting article - Donovan Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Interesting article - Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
I think the point was that exceptional players get noticed, no matter where they play.

Sure. But what about continuing to improve? For kids as high profile as DC that's the most important thing. That's what DC and fmaily need to figure out.

Reaction Score
BE up on BC 15 -6 after 1 qtr. Clingan 1 shot, 0 pts 2 rebs. Slow start for him and team. Howard Eisley played with Malcolm Huckaby at Boston College. I am sure most people know Huckaby played at BCHS. So there is a slight connection, but dont believe that is significant

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sure. But what about continuing to improve? For kids as high profile as DC that's the most important thing. That's what DC and fmaily need to figure out.

Yeah, I didn’t know how much had changed until recently. There were no basketball factory post grad prep schools back then. Wilbur Cross was routinely the best in CT, or one of the Hartford or Bridgeport schools. I went to Manchester High and we beat East Catholic like a drum in basketball. DeMatha was huge and there were major public school programs in NY, Chicago, Baltimore, Philly etc.

I still think he will certainly get a D1 ride staying at BC. Jake Layman did it staying public in the town next to me and landed with the Timberwolves. But I doubt Donovan will be as ready for the college game as he would be at a prep school.

The bigger concern is that he’s evidently getting mauled because these short kids he plays against are unable to do anything else.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn’t know how much had changed until recently. There were no basketball factory post grad prep schools back then. Wilbur Cross was routinely the best in CT, or one of the Hartford or Bridgeport schools. I went to Manchester High and we beat East Catholic like a drum in basketball. DeMatha was huge and there were major public school programs in NY, Chicago, Baltimore, Philly etc.

I still think he will certainly get a D1 ride staying at BC. Jake Layman did it staying public in the town next to me and landed with the Timberwolves. But I doubt Donovan will be as ready for the college game as he would be at a prep school.

The bigger concern is that he’s evidently getting mauled because these short kids he plays against are unable to do anything else.

He'll go D1 no matter what. Especially if he ends up 7'2 or whatever. He needs to be thinking about preparing for the next level

Reaction Score
He'll go D1 no matter what. Especially if he ends up 7'2 or whatever. He needs to be thinking about preparing for the next level

What are your thoughts on the potential for "burn out" with these kids playing at a high level both in HS and Prep year round? We've heard some coaches like players that play multiple sports because it keeps them trained but doesn't wear out the same body parts from year round pounding.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a situation where the kid may commit very early so the phones stop ringing.

Reaction Score
What are your thoughts on the potential for "burn out" with these kids playing at a high level both in HS and Prep year round? We've heard some coaches like players that play multiple sports because it keeps them trained but doesn't wear out the same body parts from year round pounding.

That's probably true through middle and freshman/sophomore year of hs. I always recommend letting the kids do what they want and have fun.

All of my aau players have specialized by sophomore year. One plays aau when they can and are focused on track--they stick around for the local tournaments. But I've known him forever.

Even the hs team I coach, which has maybe 4-5 d3 guys right now the kids are specialziing early. With them, I always recommend just doing whatever is fun

I think a big part of the problem is parents expectations. 1 sport is FINE if it is the kids choice. If the parents are forcing the kid to so anything they'll burn out because it's not an internal motvation

If Donovan is as motivated as it seems, he'll enjoy playing ball 9 months a year. And I'm not sure what else a 7 foot 15 year old is going to be good at! Shotput? I don't know

Reaction Score
BC up 21 - 17 at half. Clingan 11pts
What?? BC scored 2 pts in the second quarter and 9 in the third? How many blocks did Clingan have? Or are there fewer good shooters around in high school these days?

Reaction Score
Michigan is visiting his game and wasn't there something out there that he was a Michigan fan?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Swimmer. Those long arms would eat up a ton of distance every rotation. Season conflicts with basketball though.

Reaction Score
Actually there was a player most of you won't remember who was 7 feet tall and a tremendous track athlete. He high jumped 6'6 inches long jumped 22 feet put the shot over 53 feet and ran the 440 yard dash in 49 seconds. His name was Wilt Chamberlain.

After he retired from basketball, he played beach volleyball almost exclusively. Must have been unblockable when given a decent set.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Actually there was a player most of you won't remember who was 7 feet tall and a tremendous track athlete. He high jumped 6'6 inches long jumped 22 feet put the shot over 53 feet and ran the 440 yard dash in 49 seconds. His name was Wilt Chamberlain.

And he played Volleyball.http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2013/07/29/is-wilt-chamberlain-really-in-the-volleyball-hall-of-fame/

Reaction Score
And Volleyball is wicked fun.

My son stopped playing baseball, which he was pretty damn good at, after his soph year. Didn't like sharing time and sitting for innings as he got older. He said dad I'm going to play on the volleyball team and I was like why don't you just study and play hoops. I was a volleyball fan in HS as my GF was an All American out of Maloney HS where they won 10 state championships in 20 years or so. She then went on to be captain of UConn for her last 2 or 3 years there so I was a "womens volleyball" fan a long time ago. Well 35 years later his junior year he saw time on a boys volleyball team that went to the state quarters, picked it up fast and me and mom really enjoyed watching it too. Key was he was having a lot more fun playing volleyball than baseball never would've thunk it.
Senior year State Championship it was a tremendous ride for him and I can tell you for all the parents. Proud stuff he now coaches HS volleyball at different HS's in the area one for Boys and the other for Girls. Again would've never guessed.

Volleyball is great I didn't know until 2012 for boys though! LOL

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is anyone even gonna talk about how him wanting to be close to family is good for us in recruiting or we just gonna argue about prep school?

Reaction Score
That's probably true through middle and freshman/sophomore year of hs. I always recommend letting the kids do what they want and have fun.

All of my aau players have specialized by sophomore year. One plays aau when they can and are focused on track--they stick around for the local tournaments. But I've known him forever.

Even the hs team I coach, which has maybe 4-5 d3 guys right now the kids are specialziing early. With them, I always recommend just doing whatever is fun

I think a big part of the problem is parents expectations. 1 sport is FINE if it is the kids choice. If the parents are forcing the kid to so anything they'll burn out because it's not an internal motvation

If Donovan is as motivated as it seems, he'll enjoy playing ball 9 months a year. And I'm not sure what else a 7 foot 15 year old is going to be good at! Shotput? I don't know

Volleyball middle blocker? Track high hurdles? Wide receiver specializing in alley oop catches in the end zone?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom