"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans | Page 5 | The Boneyard

"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big 12 botched expansion - I don't see them expanding now.

They could have grabbed West Virginia, Louisville and Cincy and had a very nice conference with a little bit of a cushion against Texas flaking out.

But they didn't. Their best option now is to just hunker down, cash as many checks as they can and then be ready to leap for a life raft when Texas decides to pull up stakes.

If they ever offered, I'd say UConn should accept without letting them finish the sentence, but it'd be as strange a fit as UConn currently is in the AAC.

Reaction Score
The sports like Lacrosse and Hockey could simply be played with your regional conferences and schools, which is actually a good thing to stay connected to the New England schools without having to share a conference in all sports with them. Sure if you want to place your teams into multiple inferior conferences save for Hockey East. Well, it is a legitimate option that would allow yo to be in a regional league. Might be the best option.

As far as the divisional layout I think regional divisions the most sense. As an OSU fan I could see why playing UT, OU, and the rest of the Texas Schools every season would be appealing. You get to play both marquee teams each season while spending loads of time recruiting in Texas. What would UCONN get? Regular visits to the recruiting hot beads of Kansas, Iowa, WV, and Cincy D'Oh? A home slate built around these teams? Good luck selling that in the Northeast. In reality with a 9 game conference schedule you are still going to play 9 of the 11. The North teams will play in Texas just about as much as the South teams. That is one benefit of 12 teams. Once you go to 14 or 16 suddenly you don't play the other division all that much.

These Zipper divisions that the B1G tried, completely failed. How so? If not for the inclusion of 2 additional Eastern Teams and a desire for more, they would have likely remained in place. East/West in the B1G will be brutal with PSU, OSU, UM and MSU all in one division. It is not unlike the unbalance the Big 12 faced a few years back. Hopefully some schools out west step up to balance things out a bit more. There were complaints with the legends and leders division, that is why it is changing. Yes the East is good but that is already causing problems with Nebraska fans. They literally are not getting the big time games they used to. REally down to Wisconsin at this point. They have a series with OU in a few years, that will help. I guess in your best interest you would be added with a Westrn team so the divisions would be the same.

The ACC is still trying to make it work. Pretty dumb when schools like FSU and GaTEch only play once every few years If they truly wanted to play each other every year the divisions could likely be reworked to accommodate it(They are changing things already to keep FSU and Clemson happy). I agree that nearby teams should play, but a North/South split in The ACC might get ugly.What prime recruiting grounds does the B1G West division have? whoops. I think the B1G West might be the only power conference division without a school in a prime recruiting area. congrats. Your proposed Big 12 North is worse. IF the Big 12 added UConn and Cinci at the least you would be in a division with a school from Ohio, Cincy? Laffin. They might as well be in another country. The pecking order in Ohio is as follows: OSU, ND/UM, Flavor of the month National School, the rest of The B1G, Kentucky, Louisville, WVU, a little bit of OU under Stoops, then Cincy. The Big 12 would start pulling recruits out of Ohio if we were playing 4-5 games per year in the state. I have no doubt Cinci would still ahve trouble but other schools with comparable facitities and programs could easily start pulling kids. Heck schools like baylor are pretty popular with the under 18 crowd. Cool uniforms mean more than old accomplishments like Nebraska sells. 18 year old kids are way different than us. Now you add closer schools like ISU, and both Kansas Schools to the mix? How does that help UCONN Recruit? Playing legitimate programs versus low budget wannabies like Tulsane, Tulsa, or Memphis. IF that is not worth anything to you it should be. Why not just continue recruiting places closer to home like NJ, or places where there are hordes of good players like Florida? not to mention playing at least 1 if not 2 games per year in Texas. I won't even bother running down the recruiting competition in Texas. So recruiting Texas is too tough? Come on man, look at the last heisman winners from Texas, all the pro QB's from the state. You gotta go compete for these kids. IF a little bible school like Baylor can do it, so can UConn.

That beats the heck out of being stuck playing in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Says you. IMO Memorial Stadium, Kinnick, and Camp Randall are all awesome college football environments that traveling UCONN Fans would enjoy. TCF in Minny is a cool stadium, with Minneapolis being a fun city. Illinois Memorial is a bit of a meh for me, but they all can't be home runs.

Those are all terrible recruiting areas, plus you only play at tOSU and PSU every 5 years or so. Talk about lack of recruiting. What you state makes ZERO sense. UCONN will not be in the West. They would either be in an 8 team East, or a 4 Team Pod with PSU, RU, and UMD. Either set up would be very good for travel and recruiting purposes for UCONN. True. You will only play, likely 2 West teams per year. Take you 4 yeras to play everybody and get a home game every 8 years or so. I pointed this out becasue of how unbalanced the recruiting is, very similar to what someone pointed out about the old/proposed Big 12 North division.

There are major cultural differences with the B1G as well. Do you think people in Nebraska and Iowa are similar top those in Jersey and Connecticut? Not necessarily, but I do believe that The University of Connecticut has a HELL of a lot more in common with every shool in the B1G except NW, as opposed to only a handful in The Big 12. OK then answer one question, what are the similarities with Iowa (you used this as a example but that isa B1G state as well), and Nebraska?

What do people in CT have in common with Texans, Oklahomans, and yes Iowans? My guess is that you would be most like UT, academic types who have a wide background of folks. Also somewhat like KU. At the end of the day most conferences have a wide variety of schools, nothing wrong with that. B1G and ACC are no different. Academically Louisville is nothing like most of the ACC.

At least in the B1G they would have PSU, RU and UMD.Do you think you would be looked down upon by the B1G members because of AAU status? I can't answer that because I'm not an academic at UCONN, but it's not like other schools' fans are going to start chants about UCONN not being in the AAU. Wanna bet? Already had happened to Nebraska, they are the new red heaeaded step child of the conference. Much like Louisville will be in the ACC.

Do you think B1G members feel the same way now that Michigan and tOSU are in the same division? For me I think PSU and UNL should be on one side with UM and OSU on the other. IMO there are too many major programs in one division. However Delaney wants PSU, OSU and UM playing at RU and UMD a lot. UCONN would be no different. I agree, it is still unbalanced.
I now the Nebraska fans are not thrilled. They went from having one of the best rivalries in the country with OU Stop right there. The UNL/OU rivalry died a long time ago when OU placed more value on their rivalry with UT. No, still played every other year, new series in 2017. IT wasn't like they stopped playing until Nebraska left. and to some degree Texas, UNL/UT was the product of two name schools suddenly being in the same conference. There was little rivalry before, and outside of bowl games or other NCAA Events there likely won't be much going forward. You have no idea how much people in Nebraska hate Texas. They were so jealous when OU and UT started dominting the conference they just could not stand it and took thier ball and left. They got used to competing for NC's every year, DR Tom left, and things went downhill. At the same time Mack Brown and Bob Stoops started winning nearly every game with the Huskers. People in Nebraska respect OU, they hate Texas, much like people in Oklahoma dislike Texans. .

now they play Iowa and Wisconsin as their biggest rivals, who they have little history with. Well no kidding since UNL has been in the B1G for 3 years and was in the Big 8/12 for 100. Fans dont' care about those much...YET Many Nebraska fans already want out of the B1G. Define many. Every fan base has subsets of fans who see things differently, or want to go back to the way things were back in their day. We have fans who cry about joining the ACC or more comical going independent.

I don't disagree that the B1G is a good fit. As is the ACC. But lets not pretend that these are all regional games. Traveling to Miami, FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, etc.. is a long way. Traveling to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska is a long way as well. For most games you are looking at a bus ride, flight, and bus ride to get there. The only real difference is how long your flight is. Agreed, however it becomes an issue of what schools do you want to associate with?

The B1G is already watered down from a FB perspective. I disagree. Adding Maryland and Rutgers only made it worse. Now yes, but B1G Membership $ could jump start both programs. Getting in a conference that has roots in parts of the country that are growing is important. Without ties to CA, TX, FL, GA , etc... recruiting can be much more difficult. It hasn't helped the also ran programs in the Big 12, who have had to rely heavily on JUCOs to have any success at all. How many big time Texas Prospects are heading to Ames, Manhattan, Morgantown, and Lawrence on a year to year basis? WVU already has a good class going next year. One of the reasons ther are so many JUCOs is the # of JC schools in Kansas and Iowa, they produce a ton of kids for the major conferences. Coaches send them there if they can't qualify, pick them up later. These are the same challenges that UConn will face as high school football is not the same as it is in Texoma/SE/California, it's just not. Basketball is not the same down here as it is in the NE either. So it can be good and bad.
Ask Nebraska how they like recruiting the rust belt. Nebraska recruits nationally. What has hurt them is the shutdown of their state wide scholarship program and their inability to take partial qualifiers. +1. I live in Nebraska and keep up with them to some degree. They did lose some good exposure in Texas and honestly it's strange, they will schedule a cupcake like Wyoming or South Dakota instead of going to play in prime areas. They love home games so like last year they did not play a NC game on the road.

It's obvious where the top FB talent is, and it's not the NE. If UConn want to be successful in FB being in a conference with Southern ties would help more than anything.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 botched expansion - I don't see them expanding now.

They could have grabbed West Virginia, Louisville and Cincy and had a very nice conference with a little bit of a cushion against Texas flaking out.

But they didn't. Their best option now is to just hunker down, cash as many checks as they can and then be ready to leap for a life raft when Texas decides to pull up stakes.

If they ever offered, I'd say UConn should accept without letting them finish the sentence, but it'd be as strange a fit as UConn currently is in the AAC.

For some reason they did not bite on those schools, I've gotta think TV partners told them they were not as valuable and would drag teh payout down. I would prefer stability it it meant losing 1-2 million per year. I think Deloss was telling everybody that Notre Dame was joining. Or we were holding out for Clemson and FSU, and they never came. Poor planning.

Somewhat true but I really don't think UT is going to leave like everyone thinks. They really have no reason to. LHN is picking up carriage so it is looking better all the sudden, not to mention the payday. Their rivalry with OU brings in millions in donations for tickets. They can't afford to lose that. NO conference is going to take them with the LHN. Really the only thing I could see them doing was going INDY/partial ACC member like ND. LHN with 6+ FB games would be extremely valuable. But many of the schools don't want to leave and don't want to be broken away from thier in state partner(s). I just think that breaking up the conference would take too many things happening that are just not likely IMO. I really dnon't see the AAC breaking apart but would not be surpised by anything at this point. Realignment has really screwed college sports up.

UConn is a strange fit for the AAC but I think you will be somewhat like like the wealthy academic schools fans such as Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU once you start playing them more and get some rivalries going.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn will never have a blessed thing in common with SMU, Tulsa or Tulane.

Texas is a complete wildcard - they have enough revenue to do most anything without putting themselves at risk.

Would you really be shocked to see them elsewhere in ten years? Oklahoma would likely find a soft landing, but some other Big 12 schools would likely find themselves in AAC purgatory.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree that Texas is somewhat of a flight risk also. It's gonna be very interesting to see if the catalyst for Texas movement might eventually be....Texas A&M. Their former "little brother" is now finding themselves in pole position of the arms race in Texas due to their newly established SEC success. Manziel had a bunch to do with that obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that they have captured the limelight in the state of Texas recently and they are very well positioned to continue that success.

I wonder how long Texas will tolerate little brother upstaging them until they go chasing more dollars and more advantageous conference situations? The Big12 is good for them, but I wouldn't be shocked if they looked for better...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with that - A&M has to be stinging Texas.

You saw that in the petulant act by their athletic director today - they want to play a game in Abu Dhabi instead of A&M? That's a tantrum.

But any school that can move without regard to their conference mates is always a danger - Texas is about as autonomous as any school that doesn't get its mail in South Bend. If they decided they wanted to join the Pac 12 or Big Ten or ACC or the Foreign Legion, they'd do it without even remembering that Oklahoma exists.

Reaction Score
I agree that Texas is somewhat of a flight risk also. It's gonna be very interesting to see if the catalyst for Texas movement might eventually be....Texas A&M. Their former "little brother" is now finding themselves in pole position of the arms race in Texas due to their newly established SEC success. Manziel had a bunch to do with that obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that they have captured the limelight in the state of Texas recently and they are very well positioned to continue that success.

I wonder how long Texas will tolerate little brother upstaging them until they go chasing more dollars and more advantageous conference situations? The Big12 is good for them, but I wouldn't be shocked if they looked for better...

Manziel is gone, so that ship may have sailed,

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with that - A&M has to be stinging Texas.

You saw that in the petulant act by their athletic director today - they want to play a game in Abu Dhabi instead of A&M? That's a tantrum.

But any school that can move without regard to their conference mates is always a danger - Texas is about as autonomous as any school that doesn't get its mail in South Bend. If they decided they wanted to join the Pac 12 or Big Ten or ACC or the Foreign Legion, they'd do it without even remembering that Oklahoma exists.
You folks don't understand how much money OU and UT make from the RRR. Fans donate big money just to get tickets to that game. It would literally cost UT millions to end the RRR. Not going to happen. If you think that UT is going to walk away from the RRR as well as the LHN so they can join another conference you are simply not being realistic. Could it happen, sure. Is it likely, no. Quite frankly there are less barriers to say NCSt leaving the ACC than there are for UT to leave the Big 12, I don't see either happening . UT needs the Big 12 just like the Big 12 needs UT.

Yes aTm has had 2 good years. In reality they were never even close to winning their division, let alone their conference. We watched them underachieve for the entire time they were in the big 12. Lets see how they do the next 2 years before we decide they have surpassed UT. They have always had the ability, but just manage to screw it up for one reason or another.

Reaction Score

aTm has had a great 2 year run. With the changing of conferences, new coach, Johnny Football, and a stadium upgrade. It took all those things happening just for aTm to get on equal footing as UT while UT is somewhat down, replacing a long term coach, and searching for a quality QB. Can aTm continue to do this, I dont' see how. Will UT stay down forever, No.

I guess what I am saying is aTm is at an all time high and UT is at one of it lowest points in the last 15 years. Can aTm maintain it's all time high forever? NO.

Texas is still one of the richest and most valuable programs in the country and has nothing to worry about as far as arms races. They will always have as much or more money than everybody else.

Reaction Score
UConn will never have a blessed thing in common with SMU, Tulsa or Tulane.

Texas is a complete wildcard - they have enough revenue to do most anything without putting themselves at risk.

Would you really be shocked to see them elsewhere in ten years? Oklahoma would likely find a soft landing, but some other Big 12 schools would likely find themselves in AAC purgatory.
I sense somewhat of an elitist attitude. That fits right in with schools like SMU. They claim their maids went to school at UT.

So you think you are better than the schools in the Big 12 and AAC? Karma is a real beeach. With an attitude like that you probably should be in the B1G or ACC.

Funny how most college sport fans have an inflated view of their school.

Reaction Score
I sense somewhat of an elitist attitude. That fits right in with schools like SMU. They claim their maids went to school at UT.

So you think you are better than the schools in the Big 12 and AAC? Karma is a real beeach. With an attitude like that you probably should be in the B1G or ACC.

I am being kind in saying this but have you noticed our fans are clamoring for the ACC or the B1G?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why would we not have an elitist attitude towards those schools?

Our basketball/ football compares with Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc.

Why should we degrade ourselves to their level simply by our conference status? The only thing that concerns me is revenue due to affiliation, as I'm not some fan of a team with programs that walks around with a hard on due to the league I'm in.

Reaction Score

Just as an FYI, I think you have an inferiority complex.

When comparing UConn to SMU, Tulane and the like, what on earth would UConn have in common culturally with private southern schools? UConn is a state school in New England.

Holy cow, I suggest you step back and take a breath.

Reaction Score

Why? Because we don't have the Big 12 as our conference of preference? Silly us. We actually want to be in a conference where we have at least one or two local partners.

I know this is hard for you to grasp, but just try to put yourselves in our shoes. Why wouldn't we want to be in a conference where have Maryland, Penn State and Rutgers relatively local. This is a total no brainer.

Reaction Score
Just as an FYI, I think you have an inferiority complex.

When comparing UConn to SMU, Tulane and the like, what on earth would UConn have in common culturally with private southern schools? UConn is a state school in New England.

Holy cow, I suggest you step back and take a breath.

He's a one dimensional thinker, who thinks he is here to enlighten us and tell us things that we don't already know. We should be thankful.

Reaction Score
Why would we not have an elitist attitude towards those schools?

Our basketball/ football compares with Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc.

Why should we degrade ourselves to their level simply by our conference status? The only thing that concerns me is revenue due to affiliation, as I'm not some fan of a team with programs that walks around with a hard on due to the league I'm in.
Why have an elitist attitude toward any school? That reeks of insecurities and seems like it makes you feel better to put other schools down. You should not have to do that just to make yourself feel better about your own school. Those are all well respected academic institutions. No reason to put them down.

Reaction Score
You folks don't understand how much money OU and UT make from the RRR. Fans donate big money just to get tickets to that game. It would literally cost UT millions to end the RRR. Not going to happen. If you think that UT is going to walk away from the RRR as well as the LHN so they can join another conference you are simply not being realistic. Could it happen, sure. Is it likely, no. Quite frankly there are less barriers to say NCSt leaving the ACC than there are for UT to leave the Big 12, I don't see either happening . UT needs the Big 12 just like the Big 12 needs UT.

Yes aTm has had 2 good years. In reality they were never even close to winning their division, let alone their conference. We watched them underachieve for the entire time they were in the big 12. Lets see how they do the next 2 years before we decide they have surpassed UT. They have always had the ability, but just manage to screw it up for one reason or another.

Texas could still play that game in any other conference. And OU would agree. The Big 12 is not on stable footing. Texas might as well be the San Andreas fault.

Reaction Score
He's a one dimensional thinker, who thinks he is here to enlighten us and tell us things that we don't already know. We should be thankful.
And you get your kicks insulting people while you hide behind your computer. Keep up the good work.

It is unfortunate that you can't listen to another perspective without resorting to childish behavior.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why have an elitist attitude toward any school? That reeks of insecurities and seems like it makes you feel better to put other schools down. You should not have to do that just to make yourself feel better about your own school. Those are all well respected academic institutions. No reason to put them down.

Yes but because we are talking athletics (what CR is all about, right?), you won't find a single UCONN fan who doesn't think know that we are better than Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, etc. UCONN is the complete package of athletics and academics, in our opinion, and a good fit for a better conference.

Reaction Score
Texas could still play that game in any other conference. And OU would agree. The Big 12 is not on stable footing. Texas might as well be the San Andreas fault.
So how long do we have before Texas leaves and the rest of us beg the AAC for membership? LAffin.

How do you know OU would agree? If UT left them and they had to join the SEC they would have no reason to play UT, just like aTm.

Running around claiming that conferences with GOR are dying is quite funny. What is even funnier is that you make all these insults to the Big 12, but if you were asked to join, you would in a heartbeat. Actions speak louder than words. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Reaction Score

More like Mt. St. Helen’s. Texas and ND are liable to explode at any time and will destroy anything in their path to do what is best for them and them alone.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Insecurities? I just saw UConn this Sunday in a sold out MSG advance to our 5th Final 4 in 15 seasons and you're saying we should have something in common with Tulane?

Should Ok St share something with U San Francisco? Two titles half a century ago that aren't nationally relevant anymore?

Reaction Score
Insecurities? I just saw UConn this Sunday in a sold out MSG advance to our 5th Final 4 in 15 seasons and you're saying we should have something in common with Tulane?

Should Ok St share something with U San Francisco? Two titles half a century ago that aren't nationally relevant anymore?
Funny you mention San Francisco. Our long time Coach Eddie Sutton coached there after he left OSU. So we do have that in common with them. Love the insult as well about the championships. I could do the same to you but it does not make me feel better to insult you.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I said. I said you would have the most in common with these schools, I didn't say your AD was just like those schools. They are well respected academic institutions, much like UConn. Tulane is AAU, SMU and Tulsa are also excellent academic schools. It is obvious that you are extremely sensitive about your school, but in this situation it is completely unnecessary. Take the chip off your shoulder.

Reaction Score
More like Mt. St. Helen’s. Texas and ND are liable to explode at any time and will destroy anything in their path to do what is best for them and them alone.
Interesting comparison but clearly 1 of the schools you mentioned has a pattern of lies and deception that led to the end of a conference already, now they have a new host, and they are only a partial member, again. The other has not done anything like that. If you think that UT is sitting around planning how to leave the Big 12 you dont' know much about the conference. Do you realize who wanted the GOR in the first palce?

Reaction Score

No Fishy is anything BUT an elitist!?! Just an eastcoast perception of what happened when you guys were in near collapse.Teams like Kansas,Baylor and K.St were in a panic(tasted possible homelessness) looking to the OBE for a home(at least behind the scenes) and we see the B12 as maybe the least desirable of options of the P5 conferences! I mean really w/o UT/Okla where do some of these schools go? IMO you guys have an inflated sense of yourselves and Fishy always keeps it real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom