"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans | Page 4 | The Boneyard

"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it takes longer than 4 hours (flight time - in air) and it takes longer than an hour to make it from your door, to the bus to the airplane (or vice versa) - and that's stepping onto the bus time to sitting in your seat in the airplane time - it's not a convenient travel for athletics. Bradley International airport is approx. 36 miles from Storrs, and from loading the buses, to getting in the seats on a plane (or getting off a plane and loading a bus and getting to your destination) fits within those criteria for the American Athletic conference - the same is true for all AAC programs, with most of the travel being less than that approx. 5 hour window. UConn to Dallas, and UConn to Tampa are actually the long shots. Bradley if I'm not mistaken, is probably the smallest and least traveled airport hub that will be in the conference, and volume of travel is proportional to travel costs - inversely.

Football, is the outlier here in conference travel. Football programs travel only 6-7 times max a year. It's all the other sports teams travel that matters. Cost, time, and scheduling. The AAC seems like it is a far flung thing that doesn't make sense on the surface, but there was actually a lot of thought put into making this into a conference structure that at least makes sense with the pieces available on the board.

Travel in the big 12, for the traditional programs isn't a big deal - travel to west Virginia is a disaster, as was easily predictable and causing trouble now. Travel to UCONN, would be maybe an hour longer than WVU, but easier than WVU logistically.

All of that said, UCONN, much like TCU with the Big East, which made NO sense in 2009, if extended an invitation by the Big 12, would have no choice to accept and then deal with the situation later.

Reaction Score
Again, if that is how you want to look at it then so be it. Now you have gone from 45 minutes to at least an hour. By next time we will be looking at an hour and a half. LAffin.

According to MapQuest it is 47 minutes to the airport. If you would like to argue with them or accuse them of being wrong then feel free.

If you are going to accuse me of posting inaccurate information you might want to figure out what is inaccurate first instead of just claiming "I bet if we dug back there would be all sorts of inaccuracies".

I'll ask again. What is it that you think I am wrong about?

No I didn't, your Oklahoma reading comprehension sucks. I said the airport was north of me and it takes me at least 45 minutes to get to Lawrence. The airport is 15-20 minutes away from me. You do the math.

Reaction Score
Again, if that is how you want to look at it then so be it. Now you have gone from 45 minutes to at least an hour. By next time we will be looking at an hour and a half. LAffin.

According to MapQuest it is 47 minutes to the airport. If you would like to argue with them or accuse them of being wrong then feel free.

If you are going to accuse me of posting inaccurate information you might want to figure out what is inaccurate first instead of just claiming "I bet if we dug back there would be all sorts of inaccuracies".

I'll ask again. What is it that you think I am wrong about?

Well unless Mapquest is aware of a better route than taking I-70 to 435 N, then it takes an hour to get from campus to the airport. I go to Lawrence regularly.

30 minutes Pffffffffffft. Clown.

Reaction Score
The sports like Lacrosse and Hockey could simply be played with your regional conferences and schools, which is actually a good thing to stay connected to the New England schools without having to share a conference in all sports with them.

As far as the divisional layout I think regional divisions the most sense. These Zipper divisions that the B1G tried, completely failed. The ACC is still trying to make it work. Pretty dumb when schools like FSU and GaTEch only play once every few years. What prime recruiting grounds does the B1G West division have? whoops. I think the B1G West might be the only power conference division without a school in a prime recruiting area. congrats. IF the Big 12 added UConn and Cinci at the least you would be in a division with a school from Ohio, not to mention playing at least 1 if not 2 games per year in Texas. That beats the heck out of being stuck playing in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Those are all terrible recruiting areas, plus you only play at tOSU and PSU every 5 years or so. Talk about lack of recruiting.

There are major cultural differences with the B1G as well. Do you think people in Nebraska and Iowa are similar top those in Jersey and Connecticut? Do you think you would be looked down upon by the B1G members because of AAU status? Do you think B1G members feel the same way now that Michigan and tOSU are in the same division? I now the Nebraska fans are not thrilled. They went from having one of the best rivalries in the country with OU and to some degree Texas, now they play Iowa and Wisconsin as their biggest rivals, who they have little history with. Fans dont' care about those much. Many Nebraska fans already want out of the B1G.

I don't disagree that the B1G is a good fit. As is the ACC. But lets not pretend that these are all regional games. Traveling to Miami, FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, etc.. is a long way. Traveling to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska is a long way as well. For most games you are looking at a bus ride, flight, and bus ride to get there. The only real difference is how long your flight is.

The B1G is already watered down from a FB perspective. Adding Maryland and Rutgers only made it worse. Getting in a conference that has roots in parts of the country that are growing is important. Without ties to CA, TX, FL, GA , etc... recruiting can be much more difficult. Ask Nebraska how they like recruiting the rust belt. It's obvious where the top FB talent is, and it's not the NE. If UConn want to be successful in FB being in a conference with Southern ties would help more than anything.

Thanks CPT Obvious.

Reaction Score
If it takes longer than 4 hours (flight time - in air) and it takes longer than an hour to make it from your door, to the bus to the airplane (or vice versa) - and that's stepping onto the bus time to sitting in your seat in the airplane time - it's not a convenient travel for athletics. Bradley International airport is approx. 36 miles from Storrs, and from loading the buses, to getting in the seats on a plane (or getting off a plane and loading a bus and getting to your destination) fits within those criteria for the American Athletic conference - the same is true for all AAC programs, with most of the travel being less than that approx. 5 hour window. UConn to Dallas, and UConn to Tampa are actually the long shots. Bradley if I'm not mistaken, is probably the smallest and least traveled airport hub that will be in the conference, and volume of travel is proportional to travel costs - inversely.

Football, is the outlier here in conference travel. Football programs travel only 6-7 times max a year. It's all the other sports teams travel that matters. Cost, time, and scheduling. The AAC seems like it is a far flung thing that doesn't make sense on the surface, but there was actually a lot of thought put into making this into a conference structure that at least makes sense with the pieces available on the board.

Travel in the big 12, for the traditional programs isn't a big deal - travel to west Virginia is a disaster, as was easily predictable and causing trouble now. Travel to UCONN, would be maybe an hour longer than WVU, but easier than WVU logistically.

All of that said, UCONN, much like TCU with the Big East, which made NO sense in 2009, if extended an invitation by the Big 12, would have no choice to accept and then deal with the situation later.

The only sensible way to do it would be to schedule in series. Example: Basketball travels to Kansas and plays KU and KSU in succession. Same thing OU and Pondwater. It gets to be a pain when you have to travel Lubbock and Ames on stand alone trips.

Reaction Score
The only sensible way to do it would be to schedule in series. Example: Basketball travels to Kansas and plays KU and KSU in succession. Same thing OU and Pondwater. It gets to be a pain when you have to travel Lubbock and Ames on stand alone trips.

Traveling in a way that makes some sort of timing and economic sense is most likely why our basketball program was scheduled for back to back visits with Houston and SMU and with back to back visits to Cincinatti and Orlando. Cincy and Orlando don't make as much sense to the eye as a back to back with Houston and Dallas does, but Cincinatti is 1/2 hour from a local airport and it's a 2 hour flight cincy to Orlando, and UCF is close to the airport too. You group your travel as best you can so you don't have to make stand alone trips that don't make sense - and you can actually make sure that the students are actually having a chance to go to class.

What the Big 12 has right now with WVU is a stand alone trip for every sport that doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
Traveling in a way that makes some sort of timing and economic sense is most likely why our basketball program was scheduled for back to back visits with Houston and SMU and with back to back visits to Cincinatti and Orlando. Cincy and Orlando don't make as much sense to the eye as a back to back with Houston and Dallas does, but Cincinatti is 1/2 hour from a local airport and it's a 2 hour flight cincy to Orlando, and UCF is close to the airport too. You group your travel as best you can so you don't have to make stand alone trips that don't make sense - and you can actually make sure that the students are actually having a chance to go to class.

What the Big 12 has right now with WVU is a stand alone trip for every sport that doesn't make sense.

Right. The Big 12 is trying to fix that from what I hear. But this is exactly why I don't believe that they want more presence in the east. Right now travel to east is really only an annual inconvenience. You add Cincy and/or UConn and this becames two or three time a year inconvenience for sports other than football.

On some of these trips locally in the Big 12 region sometimes they will fly out of a really small local airfield on a crop duster. They have been enjoying a charmed existence.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Begging the Big 12? Have some self-respect. It will payoff in the long run.

If the initial conditions I proposed were on the table ( every other Texas/OU home game to be at Giants Stadium) and you turned it down to remain in the AAC how can you even be taken seriously?

It's not about pride or self respect as you put it, it's about surviving this revenue gap were about to face.

Sure you can be a hardo and say no, just enjoy playing Tulsa and Tulane in front of 18,000 people as opposed to seeing WVU, Ok State, Baylor at The Rent and once every while go to an NFL Stadium to see a
legendary program play in the shadow of NYC.

Yeah, that would be awful.

Reaction Score
Well unless Mapquest is aware of a better route than taking I-70 to 435 N, then it takes an hour to get from campus to the airport. I go to Lawrence regularly.

30 minutes Pffffffffffft. Clown.

Well it is becoming more and more obvious what you are about. Feel free to contact MapQuest if you don't agree with their route or time estimate. I go all and call you names like you do me but then I'd be no better than you.

Did you ever figure out what I was wrong about?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The Big 12 has been working with WVU to do exactly what you are talking about. It just makes sense. Could do the same thing in the AAC. Tulsa and SMU in 1 trip. Houston and Tulane in another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the initial conditions I proposed were on the table ( every other Texas/OU home game to be at Giants Stadium) and you turned it down to remain in the AAC how can you even be taken seriously?

It's not about pride or self respect as you put it, it's about surviving this revenue gap were about to face.

Sure you can be a hardo and say no, just enjoy playing Tulsa and Tulane in front of 18,000 people as opposed to seeing WVU, Ok State, Baylor at The Rent and once every while go to an NFL Stadium to see a
legendary program play in the shadow of NYC.

Yeah, that would be awful.
Interesting isn't it. Trying to make the argument that UConn is better off traveling to Houston, Tulsa, SMU, USF, UCF, Tulane, and Memphis instead of Baylor, TCU, UT, TT, OSU, OU, KU, KSU, ISU. Or the argument that UConn would be on an island in the Big 12 but nothing but short bus trips in the B1G or ACC. Guess they didn't realize that half of both of those conferences are also 1,000 miles away. Either way you are going to have to travel.

Reaction Score
Well it is becoming more and more obvious what you are about. Feel free to contact MapQuest if you don't agree with their route or time estimate. I go all and call you names like you do me but then I'd be no better than you.

Did you ever figure out what I was wrong about?

Yes, your inadequate concept of time and space.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has been working with WVU to do exactly what you are talking about. It just makes sense. Could do the same thing in the AAC. Tulsa and SMU in 1 trip. Houston and Tulane in another.

Evidently the AAC already did. Because even a 12 year old could figure out how to plan far flung away trips in a consolidated manner, but this apparently was a bridge too far for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Yes, your inadequate concept of time and space.
You really are embarrassing yourself for no reason. I said it was 30 minutes, mapquest says it is 45 minutes, you say it is over an hour. Of the 3 I'd say mapquest is likely the closest, but I dont' get worked up over 15 minutes like you seem to. In the end I am not even sure what your point was. If you want to beat your chest and call me an idiot because I was 15 minutes off so be it. Does that make you feel better?

Is it really worth calling me all kinds of manes and making a fool of yourself over 15 minutes? I mean seriously, this is how little kids act, not adults.

Reaction Score
You really are embarrassing yourself for no reason. I said it was 30 minutes, mapquest says it is 45 minutes, you say it is over an hour. Of the 3 I'd say mapquest is likely the closest, but I dont' get worked up over 15 minutes like you seem to. In the end I am not even sure what your point was. If you want to beat your chest and call me an idiot because I was 15 minutes off so be it. Does that make you feel better?

Is it really worth calling me all kinds of manes and making a fool of yourself over 15 minutes? I mean seriously, this is how little kids act, not adults.

Well, I actually live here and drive on the roads. From my driveway to KU is 45 minutes. I live 10 miles closer to KU than the airport. But you go ahead and trust the computer generated BS.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. UT traveling to Ames is not big deal but UT traveling to WVU is a disaster? How do you figure this? Both have to take a flight. Both have to take a bus. 1 is likely a direct flight while the other is likely not. 1 bus ride is slightly longer. I really dont' see much of a difference, even with the time involved. If anything traveling from Austin to Morgantown is probably easier than Ames as taking a direct flight is going to save a bunch of time compared to connecting through KC or STl.

Another part I found interesting was you saying it would take an hour longer than WVU but easier? How is it easier to take a flight and sit on a but to go to UConn compared to WVU? They seem like similar trips with 1 flight being slightly longer and 1 bus ride being slightly longer, probably offset each other. Some of the WVU teams travel through an airport that is really close to campus as well, that is going to be hard to beat.

Compare traveling to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansa, and Iowa to traveling to Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, etc... They are all closer in travel time than you would think. Schools like FSU, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.. are still going to be fairly long travel times.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I brought up the airport thing. Obviously the B12 is a huge improvement over the AAC, even though the travel is very slightly worse.

We'll never again have a regional conference of nearby rivals, you can't put the realignment genie back in the bottle. Of the remaining power conferences, B1G makes the most sense and ACC second for UConn, both could have northeastern pods or divisions. But it's not clear the B1G will invite us, and ACC has lots of politics.

To me, it's not clear the B12 will invite us either. They won't like the travel east, they won't like any dilution of revenue if their TV partners won't increase the payout, and the more the conference grows and ceases to have traditional local rivalries, the more Texas may start to look favorably on becoming an independent or shifting conferences. I think they try to preserve the status quo as long as they can.

If the B12 is not going to expand and not going to have a conference championship, it would almost make sense for them to ask the SEC to take West Virginia off their hands and go to 9 teams. Suppose the SEC wanted to build more of a national presence for their TV network. It might not be terrible to add WVU and UConn (or Cincy and UConn) for 16 and then when GoR expire try for NC, Va, Texas, Oklahoma schools to go to 18 or 20.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I brought up the airport thing. Obviously the B12 is a huge improvement over the AAC, even though the travel is very slightly worse.

We'll never again have a regional conference of nearby rivals, you can't put the realignment genie back in the bottle. Of the remaining power conferences, B1G makes the most sense and ACC second for UConn, both could have northeastern pods or divisions. But it's not clear the B1G will invite us, and ACC has lots of politics.

To me, it's not clear the B12 will invite us either. They won't like the travel east, they won't like any dilution of revenue if their TV partners won't increase the payout, and the more the conference grows and ceases to have traditional local rivalries, the more Texas may start to look favorably on becoming an independent or shifting conferences. I think they try to preserve the status quo as long as they can.

If the B12 is not going to expand and not going to have a conference championship, it would almost make sense for them to ask the SEC to take West Virginia off their hands and go to 9 teams. Suppose the SEC wanted to build more of a national presence for their TV network. It might not be terrible to add WVU and UConn (or Cincy and UConn) for 16 and then when GoR expire try for NC, Va, Texas, Oklahoma schools to go to 18 or 20.
No worries. It is interesting comparing the travel to different schools and definitely something to consider. It is unfortunate that regional conferences are over. I do understand that UConn would prefer the B1G and possibly the ACC over the Big 12.

I think for the Big 12 to expand it will need something to get it going. That could be a committee picking a team over a Big 12 team because of a conference championship game. Or TV partners wanting content in other markets such as FOX wanting in Florida. Or it could be the B1G or SEC adding ACC teams. I just don't know that they will do it on their own. My guess is that 5 years down the road something will happen. I think the Big 12 is just waiting for the B1G and SEC to take a ACC school and open a can of worms. Suddenly the Big 12 is waiting with 6 open spots for ACC teams. Combine those 6 with WVU and ISU and you have an 8 team East division. Not sure I believe the ACC will lose teams though.

The good thing is that the CCG could provide enough income to offset a less valuable team being added to the conference so the payout would not go down. Any option that makes the TV payout go down is going to be hard to overcome.

The SEC has plenty of chances at WVU and UConn for that matter. I just dont' see it happening for many reasons. I believe both the B1G and SEC want Virginia and North Carolina. WVU does not have the population to interest a conference with a network. I think Kansas might have the same problem in the B1G.

Reaction Score
There are no seven hour flights in the Big 12 or the the American and Navy is football only - UConn will fly there every other year.

There is very little difference in travel between the American and the Big 12 - it's all a bunch of 2.5 and 3.5 hour flights.
...About Navy, not to make UConn sound important, but if we leave the AAC do they have an agreement to not join the AAC? I am only asking because if this is true a great sign for us then would be to hear that Navy is not joining the AAC...Again I am only asking...I truly do not know, this is something that was brought up in discussion where I work. I am just curious and do NOT want to start any rumors!

Reaction Score

Well if I am going to offer up hope on this level, I just want 6 winning numbers to appear on my one power ball ticket for a record breaking drawing...GEEESH....and then I will buy UConn's membership into any of the conferences.

Reaction Score
The sports like Lacrosse and Hockey could simply be played with your regional conferences and schools, which is actually a good thing to stay connected to the New England schools without having to share a conference in all sports with them. Sure if you want to place your teams into multiple inferior conferences save for Hockey East.

As far as the divisional layout I think regional divisions the most sense. As an OSU fan I could see why playing UT, OU, and the rest of the Texas Schools every season would be appealing. You get to play both marquee teams each season while spending loads of time recruiting in Texas. What would UCONN get? Regular visits to the recruiting hot beads of Kansas, Iowa, WV, and Cincy D'Oh? A home slate built around these teams? Good luck selling that in the Northeast.

These Zipper divisions that the B1G tried, completely failed. How so? If not for the inclusion of 2 additional Eastern Teams and a desire for more, they would have likely remained in place. East/West in the B1G will be brutal with PSU, OSU, UM and MSU all in one division. It is not unlike the unbalance the Big 12 faced a few years back. Hopefully some schools out west step up to balance things out a bit more.

The ACC is still trying to make it work. Pretty dumb when schools like FSU and GaTEch only play once every few years If they truly wanted to play each other every year the divisions could likely be reworked to accommodate it. I agree that nearby teams should play, but a North/South split in The ACC might get ugly.

What prime recruiting grounds does the B1G West division have? whoops. I think the B1G West might be the only power conference division without a school in a prime recruiting area. congrats. Your proposed Big 12 North is worse. IF the Big 12 added UConn and Cinci at the least you would be in a division with a school from Ohio, Cincy? Laffin. They might as well be in another country. The pecking order in Ohio is as follows: OSU, ND/UM, Flavor of the month National School, the rest of The B1G, Kentucky, Louisville, WVU, a little bit of OU under Stoops, then Cincy. Now you add closer schools like ISU, and both Kansas Schools to the mix? How does that help UCONN Recruit? Why not just continue recruiting places closer to home like NJ, or places where there are hordes of good players like Florida? not to mention playing at least 1 if not 2 games per year in Texas. I won't even bother running down the recruiting competition in Texas.

That beats the heck out of being stuck playing in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Says you. IMO Memorial Stadium, Kinnick, and Camp Randall are all awesome college football environments that traveling UCONN Fans would enjoy. TCF in Minny is a cool stadium, with Minneapolis being a fun city. Illinois Memorial is a bit of a meh for me, but they all can't be home runs.

Those are all terrible recruiting areas, plus you only play at tOSU and PSU every 5 years or so. Talk about lack of recruiting. What you state makes ZERO sense. UCONN will not be in the West. They would either be in an 8 team East, or a 4 Team Pod with PSU, RU, and UMD. Either set up would be very good for travel and recruiting purposes for UCONN.

There are major cultural differences with the B1G as well. Do you think people in Nebraska and Iowa are similar top those in Jersey and Connecticut? Not necessarily, but I do believe that The University of Connecticut has a HELL of a lot more in common with every shool in the B1G except NW, as opposed to only a handful in The Big 12. What do people in CT have in common with Texans, Oklahomans, and yes Iowans? At least in the B1G they would have PSU, RU and UMD.

Do you think you would be looked down upon by the B1G members because of AAU status? I can't answer that because I'm not an academic at UCONN, but it's not like other schools' fans are going to start chants about UCONN not being in the AAU.

Do you think B1G members feel the same way now that Michigan and tOSU are in the same division? For me I think PSU and UNL should be on one side with UM and OSU on the other. IMO there are too many major programs in one division. However Delaney wants PSU, OSU and UM playing at RU and UMD a lot. UCONN would be no different.

I now the Nebraska fans are not thrilled. They went from having one of the best rivalries in the country with OU Stop right there. The UNL/OU rivalry died a long time ago when OU placed more value on their rivalry with UT. and to some degree Texas, UNL/UT was the product of two name schools suddenly being in the same conference. There was little rivalry before, and outside of bowl games or other NCAA Events there likely won't be much going forward.

now they play Iowa and Wisconsin as their biggest rivals, who they have little history with. Well no kidding since UNL has been in the B1G for 3 years and was in the Big 8/12 for 100. Fans dont' care about those much...YET Many Nebraska fans already want out of the B1G. Define many. Every fan base has subsets of fans who see things differently, or want to go back to the way things were back in their day. We have fans who cry about joining the ACC or more comical going independent.

I don't disagree that the B1G is a good fit. As is the ACC. But lets not pretend that these are all regional games. Traveling to Miami, FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, UNC, etc.. is a long way. Traveling to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska is a long way as well. For most games you are looking at a bus ride, flight, and bus ride to get there. The only real difference is how long your flight is. Agreed, however it becomes an issue of what schools do you want to associate with?

The B1G is already watered down from a FB perspective. I disagree. Adding Maryland and Rutgers only made it worse. Now yes, but B1G Membership $$$ could jump start both programs. Getting in a conference that has roots in parts of the country that are growing is important. Without ties to CA, TX, FL, GA , etc... recruiting can be much more difficult. It hasn't helped the also ran programs in the Big 12, who have had to rely heavily on JUCOs to have any success at all. How many big time Texas Prospects are heading to Ames, Manhattan, Morgantown, and Lawrence on a year to year basis?

Ask Nebraska how they like recruiting the rust belt. Nebraska recruits nationally. What has hurt them is the shutdown of their state wide scholarship program and their inability to take partial qualifiers.

It's obvious where the top FB talent is, and it's not the NE. If UConn want to be successful in FB being in a conference with Southern ties would help more than anything.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog