"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love the Big12. I've always felt that with the ACC and Big Ten making a play for it, with SU and RU, the Big 12, should grab UConn and schedule one marquee confrence game in NYC. Texas/UConn, Oklahoma/UConn. I think current NCAA rules state conference games can't be played at neutral sites, but rules be damned.
They can count as conference games. OU Texas is played in DFW every year and counts as a conference game.

That would be cool having a blue blood FB brand playing in NYC. When was the last time a true blue blood program (tOSU, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, Texas, etc..) played a regular season game there?

I know the KU vs UConn matchup would be awesome in BB. Heck the ISU vs UConn game last week was really good. Not to mention the Baylor vs UConn WBB matchup along with the other good WBB programs we have like OU, OSU, WVU, etc...

I do think there are some major cultural differences but I'm sure it would all work out. If we can accept WVU people as they are then we can get along with just about anybody. You dont' throw batteries, feces, piss, etc.. at opposing fans do you?

I think joining the Big 12 would give UConn the content to grow it's brand with it's own T-3 deal. With 1 FB game and a pile of BB and WBB games I think you guys would make a killing on the TV deal. Would give you a distinct advantage over the other schools in your area who have no real content to sell as their conference TV deals include everything. This is how schools like UT, OU, and KU make piles of extra money that they would not be able to in other conferences.

Reaction Score
Hasn't the red river rivalry typically been played at the cotton bowl? I am pretty sure Florida-Georgia has been played in Jacksonville. Are you referring to basketball?
Guess I was mistaken. I could have sworn that was a rule. In any event I would love Big 12 football and baskteball for UConn.

Reaction Score
I went over and tried to educate them. Some of those dudes know nothing about us. They are still acting arrogant because they are in a conference with cash. Good thing we just kicked their ass and sent them home.
nice posts You wrote.I think you're wasting your efforts over there.They could care less about anything you have to say.

Reaction Score
nice posts You wrote.I think you're wasting your efforts over there.They could care less about anything you have to say.
There's always open ears somewhere. Some people are definitely receptive. My guess is those who are receptive are more educated than those who are not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do think there are some major cultural differences but I'm sure it would all work out. If we can accept WVU people as they are then we can get along with just about anybody. You dont' throw batteries, feces, piss, etc.. at opposing fans do you?

Would it help?

Reaction Score
Talking about you on the WVU forum as well.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=12783672

I'm all for adding UConn to the Big 12 with either BYU or Cinci.
North
UConn
WVU
Cinci
ISU
KSU
KU
That would be an incredible division. I can live with that. One huge advantage the Big 12 has is it that it is located in strategic areas for trade and resources. It's mostly in states that are booming.

Reaction Score
There's always open ears somewhere. Some people are definitely receptive. My guess is those who are receptive are more educated than those who are not.
good point

Reaction Score

Thanks. I pretty much figured that out quickly. Those guys there don't care for intelligent conversation. They are bitter they just lost so they will trash anything UCONN. I seriously hope they don't represent the average B1G fans.

Reaction Score
Personally I'd take an invite to either the B1G, Big XII or ACC, whichever conference gives us an invite first. I noticed that some posters on the Big XII forums talk about the geographic separation between CT and the rest of the schools, but travel to other XII schools wouldn't be any difference than the AAC. We'd be trading trips to SMU, Houston and Memphis for Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I'd take that in a New York City minute

Reaction Score
Personally I'd take an invite to either the B1G, Big XII or ACC, whichever conference gives us an invite first. I noticed that some posters on the Big XII forums talk about the geographic separation between CT and the rest of the schools, but travel to other XII schools wouldn't be any difference than the AAC. We'd be trading trips to SMU, Houston and Memphis for Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I'd take that in a New York City minute

A little OT but what are you going to do about your name if the men win again sometime soon? Can't just leave it as that.

Reaction Score
That would be an incredible division. I can live with that. One huge advantage the Big 12 has is it that it is located in strategic areas for trade and resources. It's mostly in states that are booming.

True. Would add what the Big 12 currently lacks. I think that one thing is being somewhat overlooked. The Big 12 allows teams to have a nice package of content to sell on thier own, which has been discussed too many times to count. This package is what for most of the conference is the least valuable content, but in the case of UConn it is actually some of the most valuable. As much as been discussed in realignment I don't believe this has been considered as such a huge advantage that UConn has over the rest of the Big 12 members. I believe it is 1 FB game, around 8 mens BB games, plus most WBB and OLY sports.which in most cases are not terribly valuable aside from KU BB primarily becasue they are the worst games of the year. I don't know that anybody in the Big 12 is even close to having WBB games that are as valuable. Baylor is good but does not have the fanbase or national following that UConn WBB has. Then on top of that you guys have hockey, lacrosse, baseball?, soccer?, etc.. that most Big 12 schools do not aside from baseball. When you combine all that content that has value I think there could be a huge oportunity there.

Reaction Score
You would have to think west Virginia would lobby for us. They need more eastern teams

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Although I have to say that the idea of a Big12 invite sounds really intriguing (a.k.a., lucrative), we would feel like a fish out of water. For those who think that the travel will be similar in the Big12 versus the American, it won't. Use the link below to collapse all the conferences except the American and the Big12, and you'll see the travel difference (and it doesn't include Navy for football yet):

http://collegesportsinfo.com/ncaa-map/

Would we or should we turn down the invite if we were offered? No. We can't turn it down. But man, if you think that WVU feels strange in that conference, we might as well be located in Canada...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When you're on an airplane, you're on an airplane.

I've been on an airplane for an hour and a half, and I've been on an airplane for 7 hours. I can say to you with great certainty that when you're on an airplane, you are not always on an airplane! Also, we still do have the option to take buses to places like Temple and Navy (although it would be a long trip), especially for the non-revenue sports. Maybe when you're on a bus, you're on a bus??

Again, keep in mind that I would not recommend turning down an invite to the Big12...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are no seven hour flights in the Big 12 or the the American and Navy is football only - UConn will fly there every other year.

There is very little difference in travel between the American and the Big 12 - it's all a bunch of 2.5 and 3.5 hour flights.

Reaction Score
At this point, if we get a B12 invite, we have to take it. We need money to continue building UCONN athletics. Besides, it can be intriguing for CT fans to see B12 teams playing at the Rent.

pj

Reaction Score
There are no seven hour flights in the Big 12 or the the American and Navy is football only - UConn will fly there every other year.

There is very little difference in travel between the American and the Big 12 - it's all a bunch of 2.5 and 3.5 hour flights.

Except that the American schools are in cities close to airports - many Big 12 schools are far from airports. extra 1-2 hours commonly.

Reaction Score
Except that the American schools are in cities close to airports - many Big 12 schools are far from airports. extra 1-2 hours commonly.
Nothing against you as you are posting a fact, but really who cares? I know it means an extra hour or two on a bus for the athletes, but somehow, if it means the school will get revenue to keep it operating as a high major, it will be worth it to everyone, including the athletes.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is the least likely of the three likely options.
I disagree. The B1g and ACC are at fourteen full time members+ Notre Dame. ND is gumming up the works in the ACC, by telling them there is a chance they will join for football. In addition, there are forces within the ACC that want to keep us out. That cannot be discounted. Who besides us, is not tied up with a GOR, that the Big Ten could pair with us? UConn/Kansas leading the basketball side has some real cache. For all the talk of the Big12 being the best basketball conference, they like the ACC went out with a whimper. UConn should aggresively, and privately be selling themselves to the Big12. Travel concerns be damned.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't think this is as much of a consideration, except in non-revenue sports, and even then...

How many schools in the Old Big East could a team reasonably expect to take a bus? 4 (St. Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgers and Providence)? Pittsburgh is 8 hours away in a car without stopping (and the last 45 minutes are on local roads). 'Cuse is 5 hours, The DC area is about 6 hours. Add another 90 minutes for the bus factor (I.e. safe driving, they aren't on Fung-Wah buses), bathroom breaks, gas, and food. Suddenly a ride to Seton Hall is over 3 hours. So in all practicality, the teams were already flying a good deal. The revenue generating teams take charter flights on smaller planes that can take off and land from Municipal airports.

Reaction Score
Really?

Most Big 12 schools are within an hour of a major airport. OU is less than an hour to OKC. OSU is about an hour to OKC or Tulsa. ISU is an hour from Des Moines. KU is 30 minutes from KC. TCU is in DFW. UT is in Austin. TT is in Lubbock. WVU is an hour form Pittsburg. Really Baylor and KSU are furthest from major airports but there are commercial flights into Topeka which is not far from Manhattan, KS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom