If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard?

Reaction Score
Look guys, when the waiver for Shepard was granted I questioned it every bit as much as both of you. But it’s clear that neither the NCAA or ND will explain why the waiver was granted other than stating it was for “personal reasons.” While we may all want a more detailed explanation, complaining about it now, after UConn lost to ND is just sour grapes.

If UConn had won on Friday, would you have even cared?
Again, this was brought up by me before loss. All I would like to see is some discussion by any one on the broadcast team as to why it was granted. Especially since there is so much useless banter during the broadcast anyway. Maybe Rebecca would have the guts to at least bring the subject up, although I doubt it. Sometimes the truth interferes with peoples comfort zone.

Reaction Score
I'm not "afraid" of it any more than I'm afraid of hanging out with whiny, petulant 4-year-olds or embittered, perseverative codgers. Don't confuse annoyance for fear.

People have had all season to complain about the Shepard case. All season. There is a time and a place for it, and IMO this is not the time. I actually value a sense of dignity over the desperate search for scapegoats.
Sorry , but my background taught me to question things that don't seem right.

Reaction Score
the folks who have a real bone to pick with the NCAA are those teams who's transfer players had to sit out while Shepard did not........who's to say what impact those players might have had............if the NCAA rule changes do not take place I can't even imagine the ruckus when the NCAA does not allow immediate transfers for next season.......

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sorry , but my background taught me to question things that don't seem right.
Great. You've questioned it. I questioned it too, back when it happened. Time and place, as I said.

Would you still be questioning it in a specially created Shepard waiver thread if UConn had won the game? Methinks not.

Reaction Score
the folks who have a real bone to pick with the NCAA are those teams who's transfer players had to sit out while Shepard did not...who's to say what impact those players might have had..if the NCAA rule changes do not take place I can't even imagine the ruckus when the NCAA does not allow immediate transfers for next season..
Exactly !

Reaction Score
Great. You've questioned it. I questioned it too, back when it happened. Time and place, as I said.

Would you still be questioning it in a specially created Shepard waiver thread if UConn had won the game? Methinks not.
I thought I said that I question anything that doesn't seem right.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Honestly Nan, why is it sour grapes , and why are you so defensive about the subject ? There should be complete equality in these decisions. Or let's at least say disclosure . The NCAA loves to hide behind the shroud of secrecy and they get away with it . Why, because nobody forces the NCAA to answer any of these questions . I posted this question several times long before the game took place.
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances behind the transfer and those circumstances were private (i.e. none of our business). If there was some kind of...issue, and I will NOT speculate on one...and the NCAA blabbed about it because some UConn fans had their panties in a bunch, I would be the first person in Indianapolis with pitchfork and tar in hand.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing the transfer fairness police howling when Natalie Romeo got immediate eligibility to play at Washington. Or when Leti Romero got immediate eligibility at Florida State. Or when Chatrice White got immediate eligibility at Florida State.

There can be all manner of personal reasons that would cause someone to want to transfer. If you make the contents of transfer requests public, it is going to discourage people from applying for waivers because they don't want their personal business aired. So the NCAA is never going to disclose the contents of waiver requests, nor should they. And it certainly isn't incumbent upon Shepard to voluntarily air her personal business to mollify people who don't like Notre Dame.

Is it problematic that the NCAA decides these things pretty much in secret with no transparency? Perhaps. Are the transfer rules completely messed up and in desperate need of a re-write.? Arguably. But this is the system that is in place. Shepard is just the latest and highest profile to get a waiver as result of it. But she's certainly not the first.

Reaction Score
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances behind the permitting of the transfer and those circumstances were private (i.e. none of our business). If there was some kind of...issue, and I will NOT speculate on one...and the NCAA blabbed about it because some UConn fans had their panties in a bunch, I would be the first person in Indianapolis with pitchfork and tar in hand.
There is always a way to explain extenuating issues without divulging personal matters. At least on the men's bb side you have people that are willing to ask tough questions. Medical issues should never be discussed . I personally would be open to any explanation that made sense. Why does every request for disclosing a reason, bring disgruntled remarks toward people asking what should be a logical question? In the past, the ncaa has given logical reasons for allowing players to play immediately. Such as coaching change , to use one example. Why is this different ?

Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing the transfer fairness police howling when Natalie Romeo got immediate eligibility to play at Washington. Or when Leti Romero got immediate eligibility at Florida State. Or when Chatrice White got immediate eligibility at Florida State.

There can be all manner of personal reasons that would cause someone to want to transfer. If you make the contents of transfer requests public, it is going to discourage people from applying for waivers because they don't want their personal business aired. So the NCAA is never going to disclose the contents of waiver requests, nor should they. And it certainly isn't incumbent upon Shepard to voluntarily air her personal business to mollify people who don't like Notre Dame.

Is it problematic that the NCAA decides these things pretty much in secret with no transparency? Perhaps. Are the transfer rules completely messed up and in desperate need of a re-write.? Arguably. But this is the system that is in place. Shepard is just the latest and highest profile to get a waiver as result of it. But she's certainly not the first.
Well, I guess you at least think some things are problematic. But lets not rock the boat !

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How about you answer the question Nan.

Why was she given a waiver and hundreds of other kids a year weren't?
Name the "hundreds" who applied and were denied? I believe a couple of other big name transfers were also given a waiver, as has been posted on this board numerous times, especially by our ND supporters.
I felt the same way that you did until I was informed of the other players. Then it didn't seem to be unfair.
I also believe that UConn did not request a waiver for either BatCam or Z, but I could be mistaken.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Perhaps it has sailed because people continue to let things like this go.
Maybe there are privacy issues involved here and that is why there was no public disclosure. Not sure if the NCAA has to give a reason for any of their decisions because, well, it's the NCAA. Sports organizations live by a completely different set of rules than most organizations, don't they?

Reaction Score
I don't think people would question Shepherd's waiver if she had gone when the coaching change occurred. Staying and playing a year makes it harder to understand.

Centerstream

Reaction Score

Sorry @Orangutan, I added a couple of reply posts before reading yours. My intent was to basically present your argument.

Reaction Score
I'm over it. She would be eligible in a few hours without the waiver anyway.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, this was brought up by me before loss. All I would like to see is some discussion by any one on the broadcast team as to why it was granted. Especially since there is so much useless banter during the broadcast anyway. Maybe Rebecca would have the guts to at least bring the subject up, although I doubt it. Sometimes the truth interferes with peoples comfort zone.
There were a lot of posts on this subject going back to October, but please don’t try to BS a BS’er. This particular thread, which you have latched onto was initiated 1 1/2 days after UConn lost to ND.

For those like you who can’t let this subject go, I’ll provide my last thought on this thread by quoting the serenity prayer:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

But if that doesn’t work for you, then please have at it. Maybe you can get the FBI to investigate Shepard’s transfer while they’re investigating top men’s programs for funneling 6 figure payments from shoe companies to top HS recruits. If that doesn’t work, maybe you can get Congress to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate the transfer. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

There was no police I was entirely solo in this, but I did question.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I see.

Anyone got the phone number for CVS?

I am old and a little dense at times, but I fail to see how Viv Stringer could settle this.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

The NCAA continues to be as opaque as the Politburo in USSR days, and continues to peddle the myth of student athletes. A few programs such as UConn actually seem to care about the student part, while many give it lip service. This is a scandal worth discussing. Treatment of a single kid's transfer, about which we have, and will continue to have, very little real information, is a just cause for oh-so-very righteous (and possibly unjustified) indignation.

I wonder why the NCAA didn't do more to improve our shooting in the first quarter

Reaction Score
Shepard to Irish; says no issue with Huskers

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

That sounds like about the same issue Stevens (who had to sit a year) had with Duke.
Have you been following my research elsewhere on this topic? Seems like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom