If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard?

Reaction Score
Pehaps Shepard fed the press a line because the real reason for transfer and subsequent waiver request was none of the media's beeswax? She gave a comment to a newspaper. It wasn't a sworn deposition.
It's pretty explicit and proactive, not the least bit evasive:

“I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships,” Shepard said.

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

I think the whole fiasco was a bunch of BS. That said, I don't blame this for UConn's loss - If we want to be champions we need to beat whoever your put out there.

Reaction Score
. There were problems with JP McCallie having been called on the carpet for her treatment of players. Steven's might have received a waiver as well.

Geno didn't apply because he felt that Stevens reasons didn't meet the criteria. Ironically the reason Shepard gave prior to the application mirrored Stevens stated reasons. It appears Geno ( the accused cheater) just felt it would have been wrong to apply.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Geno didn't apply because he felt that Stevens reasons didn't meet the criteria. Ironically the reason Shepard gave prior to the application mirrored Stevens stated reasons. It appears Geno ( the accused cheater) just felt it would have been wrong to apply.

What is the source of Geno's reasons? Fact or opinion?

Reaction Score
Check the "Stevens leaving" thread page 13 or 14. Someone posted it in there. I remember when he said it too. Some schools embellish (read lie about) the reason for the transfer in order to help obtain the waiver, and Geno said he wasn't going to do that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Check the "Stevens leaving" thread page 13 or 14. Someone posted it in there. I remember when he said it too. Some schools embellish (read lie about) the reason for the transfer in order to help obtain the waiver, and Geno said he wasn't going to do that.
"I don’t have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not,” Auriemma said. “I just know that our two are not. From talking to them, it doesn’t seem like there is anything that would make me think ‘OK we should go and pursue this.’ I don’t know what happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn’t.”
UConn freshmen will be in spotlight in preseason opener

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"I don’t have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not,” Auriemma said. “I just know that our two are not. From talking to them, it doesn’t seem like there is anything that would make me think ‘OK we should go and pursue this.’ I don’t know what happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn’t.”
UConn freshmen will be in spotlight in preseason opener

It doesn't matter what he feels, it is what the NCAA does. Take a shot and try. Probably McGraw was told or thought the same thing but took a shot and voila. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what he feels, it is what the NCAA does. Take a shot and try. Probably McGraw was told or thought the same thing but took a shot and voila. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.
Nah.... Geno doesn't do desperate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The reply of the way too cocky who later regret their words and actions.
The truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it? Exactly where would this "regret" come from?

Reaction Score
The truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it? Exactly where would this "regret" come from?
Possibly that Geno could have had Z for the Miss St game two seasons ago, and this past season would have been her second season and perhaps much improved.

Reaction Score
Possibly that Geno could have had Z for the Miss St game two seasons ago, and this past season would have been her second season and perhaps much improved.
;) easy to write a different ending with that start...but as with so many Boneyard thoughts, this is well beyond a simple "Monday morning" what if (or three), despite its value in filling time until next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now a poster, on another thread, stated that Shepard sat out the previous season due to injury and if she sat out another that would be two seasons in a row not playing. Now that might constitute a personal reason for accepting her request. I certainly could understand that. But it still creates issues. First of all Nebraska would have given her an entire year of free education ( unless she wasn't going to school) with out the benefit of her playing for their team. They would do this under the understanding that she would return the next season. I do not know why else they would. If she wanted to transfer then it should have been done at that time. That year should have been at the expense of the school she was transferring too. That has often happened in cases like this. For example Alexis Jones, who used her rehab year as the one she sat out and that year was picked up by the school she was transferring too. To do it the way it was done by Shepard is a bit disingenuous in that she got a free year of education out to Nebraska and will have that year of eligibility left to use at ND in a graduate program if she desires. Very unethical if you ask me. She needs to pay back Nebraska for that year of tuition. The NCAA is setting a horrible precedent in this case.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now a poster, on another thread, stated that Shepard sat out the previous season due to injury and if she sat out another that would be two seasons in a row not playing. Now that might constitute a personal reason for accepting her request. I certainly could understand that. But it still creates issues. First of all Nebraska would have given her an entire year of free education ( unless she wasn't going to school) with out the benefit of her playing for their team. They would do this under the understanding that she would return the next season. I do not know why else they would. If she wanted to transfer then it should have been done at that time. That year should have been at the expense of the school she was transferring too. That has often happened in cases like this. For example Alexis Jones, who used her rehab year as the one she sat out and that year was picked up by the school she was transferring too. To do it the way it was done by Shepard is a bit disingenuous in that she got a free year of education out to Nebraska and will have that year of eligibility left to use at ND in a graduate program if she desires. Very unethical if you ask me. She needs to pay back Nebraska for that year of tuition. The NCAA is setting a horrible precedent in this case.

Nice try, but there was no "free year of education".

Shepard has not sat out any collegiate seasons due to injury. She missed most of her senior year of high school (2014-15) with an ACL injury and entered Nebraska in the fall of 2015, playing the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons with the Cornhuskers before transferring to ND for this season (2017-18). She has one year of eligibility left and assuming a normal education track she will be an academic senior next year. The only way she plays at ND as a grad student is if she misses next year due to injury or is on track to graduate this May (in 3 years).

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
That other poster was incorrect to state that Shepard missed a season due to injury. She was in the same high school class as Lou and Napheesa, so she have been in college for three years now. She played her freshman and sophomore years at Nebraska and was granted immediate eligibility for her junior year at Notre Dame. Next year she will exhaust her last year of eligibility. She did not cheat Nebraska out of a year of tuition. If she had wanted to get 5 years of tuition, she could have spent this past year off the team as a transfer and then she would have had two more seasons at Notre Dame (if she wanted) and 5 total years of college tuition (2 at Nebraska + 3 at Notre Dame).

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
While, Slocum, Stevens, Boley, Moore, Cooper to name a few were turned down.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
While, Slocum, Stevens, Boley, Moore, Cooper to name a few were turned down.
Are you sure all those players were turned down? I thought some of them did not apply. Did any of those players experience a coaching change during their tenure at their schools?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The coaching change problems were over a year before she transferred, Stevens on the other hand left when her coach was under investigation.

Reaction Score
Are you sure all those players were turned down? I thought some of them did not apply. Did any of those players experience a coaching change during their tenure at their schools?
Stevens was definitely not turned down. Geno said he didn't think their (Stevens and Camara) situations merited even applying for a waiver.

Reaction Score
The coaching change problems were over a year before she transferred, Stevens on the other hand left when her coach was under investigation.
What about Slocum, Boley, and Moore?

Reaction Score
The fact is they stopped those players from playing and yet allowed 1 player. They are corrupt and need to be overhauled.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The fact is they stopped those players from playing and yet allowed 1 player. They are corrupt and need to be overhauled.

the last part was true even before the absurdity of the shepard decision.

Reaction Score
That other poster was incorrect to state that Shepard missed a season due to injury. She was in the same high school class as Lou and Napheesa, so she have been in college for three years now. She played her freshman and sophomore years at Nebraska and was granted immediate eligibility for her junior year at Notre Dame. Next year she will exhaust her last year of eligibility. She did not cheat Nebraska out of a year of tuition. If she had wanted to get 5 years of tuition, she could have spent this past year off the team as a transfer and then she would have had two more seasons at Notre Dame (if she wanted) and 5 total years of college tuition (2 at Nebraska + 3 at Notre Dame).
My post was based on that other posters statement. I personally did not remember that she lost a year to injury before she was transferred. When put into context with the committee allowing her to play right away I gave it probable credence. Well as Emily Lettella would have said " Never Mind".

In respect to Geno never applying based on his assessment that they did not qualify, this means that based on the rules and the committee's history in respect to their rulings he felt that they would be denied. So either Geno can not read or suffers from dementia or the committee ruled against their own previous interpretations and precedents.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly think that request had any chance of being granted? Do you honestly think that ND doesn't get special treatment from the NCAA like Duke does on the men's side?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Do you honestly think that request had any chance of being granted? Do you honestly think that ND doesn't get special treatment from the NCAA like Duke does on the men's side?

Duke, North Carolina and Mich St on the men's side.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Do you honestly think that request had any chance of being granted? Yes! Notre Dame proved it can happen.

Do you honestly think that ND doesn't get special treatment from the NCAA like Duke does on the men's side? No! I don't believe in conspiracy theories. I don't believe in UFOs, Big Foot, Yeti, Elvis is alive, etc., etc., etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom