If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard? | The Boneyard

If ND wins, should NCAA be forced to explain itself on Shepard?

Reaction Score
Back this off season Jessica Shepard was given a surprise waiver to be able to be eligible immediately this season instead of sitting out a season like most transfers have to do. The only known comment explaining it was it was given for "personal reasons".

Well I suspect most people transfer for "personal reasons". Nearly all have to sit out a year. Male and female. Think having Azura last year may have helped a bit? What was so special here? The consequences of this decision could be huge. They are one win away from winning the championship. I would think Miss State, UConn, Oregon fans, etc may deserve to have a strong answer. The UConn men had a player who the NCAA said had to sit out this year. He attended summer school at St Johns for like a week before leaving for, you guessed it, personal reasons.

Reaction Score
Are you going to keep this up all off-season, this sour grapes thing? Just asking so I know if I need to refill my Xanax prescription.
Honestly Nan, why is it sour grapes , and why are you so defensive about the subject ? There should be complete equality in these decisions. Or let's at least say disclosure . The NCAA loves to hide behind the shroud of secrecy and they get away with it . Why, because nobody forces the NCAA to answer any of these questions . I posted this question several times long before the game took place.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps it has sailed because people continue to let things like this go.
Please tell me what exactly do you think you will be able to do about it?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Usually I like your responses, but it sounds like you are willing to just sweep things like that under the rug. Everyone should be playing with the same set of rules.
Again, please tell me what exactly you think you will be able to do about it?

Reaction Score
You didn’t answer my question.
Just looking for the truth. Some people are afraid of the truth. If there is a perfectly equitable reason, why not come forward? No one person ever forces the truth. But, discussion breeds thought, and more people questioning accepted standards. What do you have against the NCAA explaining itself ? Just asking ?

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure that if a critical mass of sore losers on the Boneyard continue chime in on the matter, the NCAA will have no choice but to explain itself.

Very telling you can't argue on the validity of the NCAA's decision to grant her the waiver. You are focusing on the fact how nothing can be done about it now. Probably because there isn't a good answer to it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If ND wins it will always be footnoted by a the Shepard shadow; sorta like the Chicago Black Soxs. I've decided to root for Miss ST ... the ESPN bunch are never gonna quit the whole SEC blather anyway and I'd rather meet them next year and whoop their arses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nothing. Isn't that the problem? If you see something that is on the surface unfair do we just ignore it because we can't do anything about it?
Just looking for the truth. Some people are afraid of the truth. If there is a perfectly equitable reason, why not come forward? No one person ever forces the truth. But, discussion breeds thought, and more people questioning accepted standards. What do you have against the NCAA explaining itself ? Just asking ?
Look guys, when the waiver for Shepard was granted I questioned it every bit as much as both of you. But it’s clear that neither the NCAA or ND will explain why the waiver was granted other than stating it was for “personal reasons.” While we may all want a more detailed explanation, complaining about it now, after UConn lost to ND is just sour grapes.

If UConn had won on Friday, would you have even cared?

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure that if a critical mass of sore losers on the Boneyard continue chime in on the matter, the NCAA will have no choice but to explain itself.
Yep, anyone that questions the establishment is a sore loser. This was brought up before the Huskies lost, so your statement about sore losers is irrelevant. Again, why are you afraid of the discussion ?

Reaction Score
Look guys, when the waiver for Shepard was granted I questioned it every bit as much as both of you. But it’s clear that neither the NCAA or ND will explain why the waiver was granted other than stating it was for “personal reasons.” While we may all want a more detailed explanation, complaining about it now, after UConn lost to ND is just sour grapes.

If UConn had won on Friday, would you have even cared?

Olddude, what is kinda funny, before I started this thread, I searched for some info on the Shepard waiver to try to get a better idea of why it was granted. The old Boneyard thread on the news came up on Google. I read it and in it you said who cares if it was granted because Shepard is not a "game changer". Yowza. That turned out not to be the case.

If UConn had won I probably wouldn't have started a thread about it but you are wrong I would not have cared. Many student athletes have not been afforded the same leniency from the NCAA. It's not a fair process. And this decision is about 40 minutes away from being one of the most consequential decisions the NCAA has ever made. Certainly for the sport of women's basketball. At this point, a lot of people should care so the NCAA is on notice the next time a kid's future lays in their hands.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yep, anyone that questions the establishment is a sore loser. This was brought up before the Huskies lost, so your statement about sore losers is irrelevant. Again, why are you afraid of the discussion ?
I'm not "afraid" of it any more than I'm afraid of hanging out with whiny, petulant 4-year-olds or embittered, perseverative codgers. Don't confuse annoyance for fear.

People have had all season to complain about the Shepard case. All season. There is a time and a place for it, and IMO this is not the time. I actually value a sense of dignity over the desperate search for scapegoats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom