If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 7 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, I would.

Especially against high/end big east teams where we’ve struggled - it’s time to mix it up. I feel like I am watching different games than some on this board? Did you watch the first half yesterday where it was clank after clank and multiple turnovers? I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve PT but simply not as a starter.

Yeah I think you’re pretty clearly watching a different game. I would love to see your posts after we try your proposal of benching the most dynamic kid on the roster.

Also he had 7 assists and 2 turnovers.

Reaction Score
I agree that we need him at his best, playing smart and under control. But the team’s ceiling is only realized with Andre heavily in the mix. I liked that we ran a few sets that got him down near the rim, unless he’s facilitating, he should rarely be 22 feet from the basket.
It’s very hard to resolve the issue that they aren’t guarding him. If on the perimeter they’re just sloughing off and helping on shooters and getting in passing lanes. If close to the basket his guy can help off on Sanogo or Clingan. But we do know he can rebound so keeping him near the basket is best I agree.

Reaction Score
Alleyne played excellent defense when in and stopped Murray a couple of times. So you are wrong there.

No I’m not. I didn’t say he didn’t do some nice things. He did not make the defensive impact Jackson made. And again, didn’t bring the playmaking Jackson did. Shot worse too.

Reaction Score
Yes, I would.

Especially against high/end big east teams where we’ve struggled - it’s time to mix it up. I feel like I am watching different games than some on this board? Did you watch the first half yesterday where it was clank after clank and multiple turnovers? I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve PT but simply not as a starter.
No way should any of those 3 start over Andre!

Reaction Score
As much as the claim has been made this is an anti AJ thread, starting to think a better case could be made on this being an anti Joey C. Clingan and alleyne thread.

What these players haven’t gotten is the chance to start and stay in the game for long stretches. Where ball handling and some more scoring needed I would like to see Joey C get a shot early on rather than go in cold every time. Also Like Clingan.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think you’re pretty clearly watching a different game. I would love to see your posts after we try your proposal of benching the most dynamic kid on the roster.

Also he had 7 assists and 2 turnovers.

Also he had 7 assists and 2
Dynamic? Did you see the missed put back from 3 feet away or the one handed runner than barely touched the rim. The errant pass to Hawkins. If he is most dynamic, yes we need someone a little less dynamic and more dependable - we have some heavy hitters come up on the schedule - playtime over.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity is there any empirical evidence whatsoever to suggest that Calcaterra is a better ball handler than Jackson? I’m not aware of any.

I like the kid but he’s on the court to make jump shots. If he’s not doing that then it’s hard to argue that he deserves more time, especially when people are bitching about perimeter defense and containing dribble drives, which he absolutely cannot do.

Reaction Score
Dynamic? Did you see the missed put back from 3 feet away or the one handed runner than barely touched the rim. The errant pass to Hawkins. If he is most dynamic, yes we need someone a little less dynamic and more dependable - we have some heavy hitters come up on the schedule - playtime over.

Like I said. We’re watching a different game. I certainly don’t mind being on the opposite side of this discussion, especially when you’re arguing that his minutes should go to Alleyne.

He had 7 assists against 2 turnovers. Keep saying “errant pass” like it means something here, pops.

Reaction Score
Like I said. We’re watching a different game. I certainly don’t mind being on the opposite side of this discussion, especially when you’re arguing that his minutes should go to Alleyne.

He had 7 assists against 2 turnovers. Keep saying “errant pass” like it means something here, pops.
I did not say they should all go to Alleyne but no matter.

When we play top tier competition we cannot have AJ either not playing offense or throwing up briicks, we need some production at that spot offensively. And someone who takes care of the ball better.

So yeah maybe Joey C. can shake things up with his jumper or Clingan for stretches, have AJ come in when first big stop of game is needed - added pressure - think John Gwynn but for defense. :)

If we don‘t want to be “one and done” again in NCAA tourney we need to find a starting lineup that is more consistent - that is my take - nothing against AJ but how many years has it been now since we won a tourney game or League Championship? These discussions 100% appropriate IMO.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When we play top tier competition we cannot have AJ either not playing offense or throwing up briicks, we need some production at that spot offensively. And someone who takes care of the ball better.

Who on this roster is taking better care of the ball than Andre did on Saturday? He had 7 assists and 2 turnovers. For comparison, Tristen Newtown has had a total of 3 games all year where he had at least 7 assists and 2 or fewer turnovers, and he's our starting point guard.

If Andre consistently had games like Saturday, except he also scored 15 points on 50% shooting, then you'd be talking about an All-American candidate. I don't think people are realizing how valuable all of the other stuff he's doing is.

Reaction Score
Who on this roster is taking better care of the ball than Andre did on Saturday? He had 7 assists and 2 turnovers. For comparison, Tristen Newtown has had a total of 3 games all year where he had at least 7 assists and 2 or fewer turnovers, and he's our starting point guard.

If Andre consistently had games like Saturday, except he also scored 15 points on 50% shooting, then you'd be talking about an All-American candidate. I don't think people are realizing how valuable all of the other stuff he's doing is.
Right, but Newton scores too. No one is saying that Jackson's passing isn't valuable, but Newton actually scores himself too.

And of course we'd be talking about an All-American candidate if he could score, that's the most obvious thing in the world. The problem is that he can't, and it makes our offense predictable and has been a problem at times this season.

The criticism of Jackson has been repeated as nauseum, but it's also obnoxious to hear from some posters over and over again that some of us are missing out on the all around game Jackson has and focusing too much on his scoring. No, we all get it. It's just that his inability to score at all is almost unprecedented to a wing player and when he's not having divine passing games he's an anchor on the offense.

I'm actually impressed with how many assists Jackson gets considering the defense knows, every single time, exactly what he's going to do.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The first half yesterday, AJ made many of the plays, that need either to be corrected soon or less playing time.

2nd half was a nice turnaround and good hustle.

I think with what I recommended early in this thread AJ could have come off the bench and made many of those same plays. I just don’t think he’s a starter right now, and the margin of error in the upcoming games won’t be nearly the same as it was yesterday.
If Jackson played for Calhoun he would have said I never had a player cut the head off the snake better than Jackson did with Spears.

And if you were a reporter who made the above statement Calhoun would have F bombed you into oblivion.

Reaction Score
It’s very hard to resolve the issue that they aren’t guarding him. If on the perimeter they’re just sloughing off and helping on shooters and getting in passing lanes. If close to the basket his guy can help off on Sanogo or Clingan. But we do know he can rebound so keeping him near the basket is best I agree.
There were times where he was left all alone and guys didn’t look in his direction, He had one alley oop finally but if they continue to sag off him he should be able to get several dunks per game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Right, but Newton scores too. No one is saying that Jackson's passing isn't valuable, but Newton actually scores himself too.

And of course we'd be talking about an All-American candidate if he could score, that's the most obvious thing in the world. The problem is that he can't, and it makes our offense predictable and has been a problem at times this season.

The criticism of Jackson has been repeated as nauseum, but it's also obnoxious to hear from some posters over and over again that some of us are missing out on the all around game Jackson has and focusing too much on his scoring. No, we all get it. It's just that his inability to score at all is almost unprecedented to a wing player and when he's not having divine passing games he's an anchor on the offense.

I'm actually impressed with how many assists Jackson gets considering the defense knows, every single time, exactly what he's going to do.

The problem with the complaints about his scoring is that he scored 7 points on 42% shooting, yet there are still people complaining about his offensive performance in the game. 7 points isn't great, but it isn't "no scoring at all" like you're harping on here. I could understand complaining about his offense after the Xavier game where he missed a ton of shots, but I would sign up for 7 points from him every night if he keeps doing what he does defending, rebounding, and dishing out assists.

Reaction Score
The problem with the complaints about his scoring is that he scored 7 points on 42% shooting, yet there are still people complaining about his offensive performance in the game. 7 points isn't great, but it isn't "no scoring at all" like you're harping on here. I could understand complaining about his offense after the Xavier game where he missed a ton of shots, but I would sign up for 7 points from him every night if he keeps doing what he does defending, rebounding, and dishing out assists.

Eh, he's scoring 7 points a game with no one guarding within 10 feet of him. Hawkins scoring 7 points and Jackson scoring 7 points have very different effects on the opponent's game plan. I love Jackson and think some of the criticism is ridiculous, but it's silly to pretend his 7 points are the same as 7 points for someone who is actually worth guarding in the half-court.

Reaction Score
First, defending a starter's scoring by saying he put up 7 points on 42% shooting isn't really the strongest argument. A starter playing the minutes he is at the wing and not scoring more than 7 points against an awful Gtown team puts that much more pressure on everyone else to get buckets. That aside, it goes beyond the box score. When he touches the ball in the half court everyone on the court - in the building - knows he's looking to pass first and not shoot. That lets his guy sag off of him, clogs up the lane, kills most pick and rolls (you can go under every single screen and even then if he gets by you there's 0 chance at a layup). It kills our spacing at times. His poor shooting isn't just a Jackson issue, it's a problem our entire offense hasn't figured out since defenses have adjusted to us post non-conference games.

I feel like my repeated posts about his shortcomings make me sound like a Jackson hater, but I really do love the kid and his work ethic and his unique game. This board needs to stop acting like he's a lottery/first round talent though, or that his skill set makes him immune from criticism about his offensive inefficiencies.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I think the key is Newton, if he’s scoring like he has recently, Andre’s points aren’t a big issue. I think he’s miscast at the 3. In today’s game, a 3 who can’t shoot isn’t ideal.

Reaction Score
If Jackson played for Calhoun he would have said I never had a player cut the head off the snake better than Jackson did with Spears.

And if you were a reporter who made the above statement Calhoun would have F bombed you into oblivion.

I am amused that against Georgetown, the 1-11 Hoyas, where AJ had a good 2nd half after a dismal 1st half, this now makes him above any criticism?

I just don’t think he’s a starter in the Big games we have coming up or at the very least Hurley needs to rein in the poor passes, errant shots and or T’s with a quick hook.

No one here saying AJ shouldn’t be on the court only to what extent can use him when the competition heats up.

I for one, would love to be proved wrong but there’s something about the careless nature he Plays the game which I know will come back to haunt us when we get to BE Tourney/NCAA

Reaction Score
I am amused that against Georgetown, the 1-11 Hoyas, where AJ had a good 2nd half after a dismal 1st half, this now makes him above any criticism?

I just don’t think he’s a starter in the Big games we have coming up or at the very least Hurley needs to rein in the poor passes, errant shots and or T’s with a quick hook.

No one here saying AJ shouldn’t be on the court only to what extent can use him when the competition heats up.

I for one, would love to be proved wrong but there’s something about the careless nature he Plays the game which I know will come back to haunt us when we get to BE Tourney/NCAA
Ok, so once again I’ll ask, if you don’t go two bigs, who starts over him? Unless you move Karaban down to the 3 and start Samson, I don’t see anyone starting over Andre who would be better. Alleyne, Calcaterra and Diarra are major drop offs from Andre Jackson in terms of their impact on the entire game. With regard to the poor passes, he also makes a lot of great passes. His assist to turnover ratio is 2.5 to 1.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Eh, he's scoring 7 points a game with no one guarding within 10 feet of him. Hawkins scoring 7 points and Jackson scoring 7 points have very different effects on the opponent's game plan. I love Jackson and think some of the criticism is ridiculous, but it's silly to pretend his 7 points are the same as 7 points for someone who is actually worth guarding in the half-court.

I get your point, but I'm looking at it from a production standpoint. If Andre gets 7 points, that's on the low end, but if he also gives you 7 assists and 10 rebounds along with great defense then all in all that's a pretty darn good game if you ask me.

Scoring isn't going to be a strength of his game, we all know that. If Andre put up a goose egg then I get the criticism, but he scored 7 points which is good enough considering everything else he does well.

Reaction Score
Ok, so once again I’ll ask, if you don’t go two bigs, who starts over him? Unless you move Karaban down to the 3 and start Samson, I don’t see anyone starting over Andre who would be better. Alleyne, Calcaterra and Diarra are major drop offs from Andre Jackson in terms of their impact on the entire game. With regard to the poor passes, he also makes a lot of great passes. His assist to turnover ratio is 2.5 to 1.
Okay I know there is alot fo anti Joey and D Clingan in this thread but I like the idea of starting Joey C and let him get into the flow for a bit and then bring AJ off bench after we‘ve scored a few points. I like at some point AJ coming out for the twin tower approach to end half.

Joey C. has had trouble finding rhythm but he can be a quick offensive spark.

The careless play early on in the game is what concerns me so much w/ Andre. The weird no look passes or ones that looked like they had zero chance connecting. That stuff early on can turn a game wrong direction.

It is the lack of disciplined play that has me taking him out of starting position.

Reaction Score
Everything you say is true . The problem is
some of the better teams in the conference have enough offensive firepower that playing 4 1/2 on 5 won't cut it. For example, Xavier had six guys with more than 7 points in their last game and their seventh leading scorer had seven points.

With Andre's athleticism, he has to find a way to get more baskets going to the hole. I'm not talking massive stuff either, just a couple plays a game. Andre at 10 ppg makes this team a tougher out.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I'm amused that you think I'm criticizing you. I'm just employing the same tactic you did in your title and OP. I wrote what JC has said and done as a UConn coach and projecting what he would have said to your post #160. Now you're trying to deflect my response. If you can speak for JC why don't my comments about what he might say have equal plausibility. It was a weak tactic on your part and I'm calling you out on it.

Reaction Score
Spears played like he wasn’t 100% but good job AJ. Calhoun had many lock down players and you might be bit young to remember players like Ricky Moore but you could also count on to protect the ball and score a bit too.
I think Hurley’s taking my advice already at Marquette, AJ had 23 minutes, with 3 turnovers. I’d like to see it go down to more like 20 but this is the right way to go - limit amount of turnovers by using bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom