If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 6 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're somehow joking, right????

If you say someone is making "lazy plays", you are implying that person is lazy. It's that simple. Don't try to move the goalposts.

Nah making lazy plays doesn’t necessarily mean the player is lazy at all. Throwing a no-look pass backwards to no one when you have no one guarding you after you get a rebound (Xavier to Newton who wasn’t close) can be called lazy or dumb. Doesn’t at all mean the player is lazy or dumb. Playing lackadaisical or making plays in that sense doesn’t mean you’re lazy just means you need to be more aggressive.

Guess it’s all how you look at things. Andre is the farthest thing from lazy, exact opposite. But he does make the occasional “lazy play”.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nah making lazy plays doesn’t necessarily mean the player is lazy at all. Throwing a no-look pass backwards to no one when you have no one guarding you after you get a rebound (Xavier to Newton who wasn’t close) can be called lazy or dumb. Doesn’t at all mean the player is lazy or dumb. Playing lackadaisical or making plays in that sense doesn’t mean you’re lazy just means you need to be more aggressive.

Guess it’s all how you look at things. Andre is the farthest thing from lazy, exact opposite. But he does make the occasional “lazy play”.
To add to this, Lebron James is the king at making a lazy play in the NBA. Would anyone be crazy enough to think he’s actually a lazy person though? Lol

Reaction Score
To add to this, Lebron James is the king at making a lazy play in the NBA. Would anyone be crazy enough to think he’s actually a lazy person though? Lol
Only when his ankle is sore! Lol

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dayum, that pass to Karaban was the answer!!!

Reaction Score
For many, it wasn't hate. I even said I love watching the kid play. It's just his play was not at the same level and a lot of the mistakes he was making were clearly preventable or fixable. It's no coincidence that as his play became inconsistent to say the least, the team struggled. Now there are a lot of other things that were happening, too. Shooting slumps, and a drop in defensive intensity by many of the players. Newton's game wasn't at it's finest either for a good stretch. That's what made Jackson's play even more important.and his mistakes, again, some of which were completely careless so important.
I don't think anybody thought the Big East schedule was going to be easy and the team was going to go undeafeted and blow everyone out like they did before Big East play. There are no easy games in conference play, which is why your captain has to lead by example and play smart as well as hard.
UConn has had some great athletes, but pure skill set aside, AJ's basketball IQ couple, ability and selflessness combines is what makes him so much fun to watch. Also, the kid likes to have fun out on the court and is a great teammate. I think he's most fans favorite player to watch, but he is a junior captain of a top 25 team, and his play at times has not reflected what is expected of someone in that position.
All that aside, glad he bounced back today. You can see it has been wearing on him some. He even had a stretch today, and it was the first time I've seen the kid had his head down. But instead of staying down, he bounced back. His defense was great and and he hit an important 3. Actually loved the 3, and not just because it went in. It wasn't seconds into the shot clock, the offensive possession looked like it was going nowhere and it was a 3 he could step into.

Reaction Score
He would be riding the bench for some of the lapses he had once again tonight. The technical, the unnecessary charge, the wild shots….

I don’t put this on Jackson but rather Hurley. He is going to have to hold him more accountable because we will not be able to compete at the highest levels with these types of plays.

This is more about Hurley than Jackson - he needs to be a bit more like Jim Calhoun and holding players accountable during the game when they put themselves before the team.
I agree somewhat but we don't know what Hurley has also taught and said to this kid. Only Hawkins and Sanogo have been the most consistent. But they are also not always reliable

Reaction Score
Nobody hates Andre. Everyone values the things he does well. Expectations for Andre has been set so high by fans on this forum and Hurley. Not living up to unrealistic high expectations is what most of these Andre forum posts are about. While he is good at so many things, his shooting form and mechanics are not good and that frustrates many fans. Shooting a 1 handed floater as your body soars towards the basket is 10x more difficult than a jump stop, go straight up and shoot a jumper. This particular thread is about Hurley’s love for all the wonderful things Andre does, blinding him from seeing the areas where Andre needs improvement.

Reaction Score
For many, it wasn't hate. I even said I love watching the kid play. It's just his play was not at the same level and a lot of the mistakes he was making were clearly preventable or fixable. It's no coincidence that as his play became inconsistent to say the least, the team struggled. Now there are a lot of other things that were happening, too. Shooting slumps, and a drop in defensive intensity by many of the players. Newton's game wasn't at it's finest either for a good stretch. That's what made Jackson's play even more important.and his mistakes, again, some of which were completely careless so important.
I don't think anybody thought the Big East schedule was going to be easy and the team was going to go undeafeted and blow everyone out like they did before Big East play. There are no easy games in conference play, which is why your captain has to lead by example and play smart as well as hard.
UConn has had some great athletes, but pure skill set aside, AJ's basketball IQ couple, ability and selflessness combines is what makes him so much fun to watch. Also, the kid likes to have fun out on the court and is a great teammate. I think he's most fans favorite player to watch, but he is a junior captain of a top 25 team, and his play at times has not reflected what is expected of someone in that position.
All that aside, glad he bounced back today. You can see it has been wearing on him some. He even had a stretch today, and it was the first time I've seen the kid had his head down. But instead of staying down, he bounced back. His defense was great and and he hit an important 3. Actually loved the 3, and not just because it went in. It wasn't seconds into the shot clock, the offensive possession looked like it was going nowhere and it was a 3 he could step into.
Great post, I agree with most of your points. It seemed Andre, Newton, Hawkins and a few others hit a wall for a couple weeks. Now Newton and Hawkins seem to be re-energized and are playing aggressively. Andre’s confidence was clearly shaken, and he wasn’t playing smart basketball for a stretch. With his athleticism he should get 6-8 points per game on easy baskets. Having him camped out behind the three point line was maximizing his weakness and negating his athleticism. Hopefully they continue to run stuff that gets him near the basket.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If you think that, then leave or stop taking part. You are an insulting bore and your comments to fellow Boneyarders are overly insulting, disrespectful and not necessary.

This is hilarious coming from you. Every one of your posts trashes one of our players. You literally just said one of our players can't hit the broadside of a barn earlier I think this thread.

Reaction Score
This is hilarious coming from you. Every one of your posts trashes one of our players. You literally just said one of our players can't hit the broadside of a barn earlier I think this thread.
Are you saying that Ajax actually CAN shoot and score? Hmmmm....I think many here will agree that is not the case.

Reaction Score
I hope the Andre hating stops now. 7, 10 and 7 while holding Spears scoreless. The kid is tremendously valuable.
No one is hating on him. No one is attacking him personally just pointing out flaws in his game and how it affects the team.

Coming on the board to crow about one good game against the worst team in the BE and to call out other posters for discussing a player’s flaws is as obnoxious as those you think you’re singling out.

Reaction Score
No one is hating on him. No one is attacking him personally just pointing out flaws in his game and how it affects the team.

Coming on the board to crow about one good game against the worst team in the BE and to call out other posters for discussing a player’s flaws is as obnoxious as those you think you’re singling out.
I wasn’t so much trying to attack people but to say can we bury this talk that he’s not very valuable? In general I’ve always found it obnoxious when posters during bad seasons would salivate over attacking people who were critical of the team after an occasional good win.

Reaction Score
The first half yesterday, AJ made many of the plays, that need either to be corrected soon or less playing time.

2nd half was a nice turnaround and good hustle.

I think with what I recommended early in this thread AJ could have come off the bench and made many of those same plays. I just don’t think he’s a starter right now, and the margin of error in the upcoming games won’t be nearly the same as it was yesterday.

Reaction Score
The first half yesterday, AJ made many of the plays, that need either to be corrected soon or less playing time.

2nd half was a nice turnaround and good hustle.

I think with what I recommended early in this thread AJ could have come off the bench and made many of those same plays. I just don’t think he’s a starter right now, and the margin of error in the upcoming games won’t be nearly the same as it was yesterday.
Interesting. So what’s your proposed starting lineup then without him? Unless you start Clingan, along with Adama, I don’t see any way Andre wouldn’t start. You’d seriously consider starting Alleyne, Calcaterra or Diarra over him?

Reaction Score
Interesting. So what’s your proposed starting lineup then without him? Unless you start Clingan, along with Adama, I don’t see any way Andre wouldn’t start. You’d seriously consider starting Alleyne, Calcaterra or Diarra over him?

Agree he has to start just needs to be better and smarter all the time. Much like Newton who we needed to get better and he has, we need AJ to be better for us to be as good as we can be. 2nd half was a start need more. There isn’t much of an option unless you go 2 bigs which won’t match up all that well all the time. Let’s see if he has some confidence back it will be interesting to say the least. They all will need to be better than yesterday with most of the upcoming schedule.

Reaction Score

Yes, I would.

Especially against high/end big east teams where we’ve struggled - it’s time to mix it up. I feel like I am watching different games than some on this board? Did you watch the first half yesterday where it was clank after clank and multiple turnovers? I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve PT but simply not as a starter.

Reaction Score
Yes, I would.

Especially against high/end big east teams where we’ve struggled - it’s time to mix it up. I feel like I am watching different games than some on this board? Did you watch the first half yesterday where it was clank after clank and multiple turnovers? I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve PT but simply not as a starter.

Diarra had as many turnovers as Jackson except in 5 minutes of play. Alleyne gave us 3 points on 25% shooting. Neither gave us anywhere near the defense, rebounding, or playmaking of Jackson.

So yes, you may be watching different games

Reaction Score
Diarra had as many turnovers as Jackson except in 5 minutes of play. Alleyne gave us 3 points on 25% shooting. Neither gave us anywhere near the defense, rebounding, or playmaking of Jackson.

So yes, you may be watching different games

Alleyne played excellent defense when in and stopped Murray a couple of times. So you are wrong there.

Reaction Score
Agree he has to start just needs to be better and smarter all the time. Much like Newton who we needed to get better and he has, we need AJ to be better for us to be as good as we can be. 2nd half was a start need more. There isn’t much of an option unless you go 2 bigs which won’t match up all that well all the time. Let’s see if he has some confidence back it will be interesting to say the least. They all will need to be better than yesterday with most of the upcoming schedule.
I agree that we need him at his best, playing smart and under control. But the team’s ceiling is only realized with Andre heavily in the mix. I liked that we ran a few sets that got him down near the rim, unless he’s facilitating, he should rarely be 22 feet from the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom