If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He should have been benched when the 1st two T's happened and under Calhoun, I truly believe that would have happened. I really didn't mind this last T. The game was pretty much decided and it looked like his yapping was to protect Sanogo or keep him out of it. Sanogo didn't do anyting wrong, but the Depaul player took offense at him trying to block a shot well after play had stopped. Don't get why he was trying to shoot at that point either.
Jackson is loved by the vast majority of Husky Nation. It's just that with his talent, his play during this stretch has not been the best. He is a junior and the no look passes and careless flick passes should not be happening, unless your up by 20 with under 4 minutes left in the game. You can't get caught looking away and let your defender shoot an open 3 in what at the moment is a big possession. You can't kill runs with T's. You can't be careless with the ball when the game is tight or there is still a lot of game to play.
There have been few players I have enjoyed watching as much as AJ when he's playing smart. But he is a captain and he needs to lead with play as well as talk.

Reaction Score
He should have been benched when the 1st two T's happened and under Calhoun, I truly believe that would have happened. I really didn't mind this last T. The game was pretty much decided and it looked like his yapping was to protect Sanogo or keep him out of it. Sanogo didn't do anyting wrong, but the Depaul player took offense at him trying to block a shot well after play had stopped. Don't get why he was trying to shoot at that point either.
Jackson is loved by the vast majority of Husky Nation. It's just that with his talent, his play during this stretch has not been the best. He is a junior and the no look passes and careless flick passes should not be happening, unless your up by 20 with under 4 minutes left in the game. You can't get caught looking away and let your defender shoot an open 3 in what at the moment is a big possession. You can't kill runs with T's. You can't be careless with the ball when the game is tight or there is still a lot of game to play.
There have been few players I have enjoyed watching as much as AJ when he's playing smart. But he is a captain and he needs to lead with play as well as talk.

Great Post!

Reaction Score
It's pretty funny seeing all this talk about Andre holding back our offense and needing to bench him so we can have a good offense. We've had a really good offense all year, it's the defense that's the issue, and benching Jackson just makes it even worse
I'd sure like to see his +/- stats because I can't remember the last time I saw him stay in front of his man on defense........not that he's alone in that over the last ten games or so.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There is no such thing as an easy shot for Jackson; even the infrequent drives to the hoop often produce bricks. The opponents are virtually goading him to shoot. Great effort, all over the floor, but too many bad passes and the technicals are adding up. He seems like such a coachable kid…..I don’t get it.
He is coachable. He needs coaching..............not endless hyping up.

Reaction Score
He would be riding the bench for some of the lapses he had once again tonight. The technical, the unnecessary charge, the wild shots….

I don’t put this on Jackson but rather Hurley. He is going to have to hold him more accountable because we will not be able to compete at the highest levels with these types of plays.

This is more about Hurley than Jackson - he needs to be a bit more like Jim Calhoun and holding players accountable during the game when they put themselves before the team.
I agree with you. Hurley will not do anything about Jackson..He is in love with certain guys and allows them to do what they want. Jackson is at the top of the list. How many technicals do you have to get for dumb reasons before the coach says ENOUGH!? How many lazy or dumb plays?

He has convinced himself that Jackson is his Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that Jackson is in a slump right now. He is struggling on the offensive end even though he is given space to shoot. In BE play, he is shooting 32.9% overall and 29.7% from 3 with almost 50% of his shots being 3 pointers. He has taken 11 FTs in 12 BE games which I think is too low. Personally, I think he needs to increase the time he is either driving to the hoop or playing near the basket to improve his offense play and to get fouled more often and I think that would increase his confidence in his offense. In his last 6 games, he has 5 games in which he did not take a FT.

Also, Jackson is such a superior athlete, he needs to slow his game down. He can dribble around almost everyone and he can defend anyone without trying to make the spectacular play. He needs to make the routine play look routine.

As for technical fouls, there is no excuse for a player to get multiple technical fouls over a season. Close games are decided by small mistakes.

One last point, the Evan Miya advanced stats really love Andre Jackson. Here are the national rankings of UConn's key players:

7) Jackson
24) Clingan
48) Sanogo
82) Hawkins
118) Newton
182) Diarra
384) Alleyne
439) Karaban
631) Joey C

Defensive player rankings (just UConn rankings):
1) Clingan
2) Jackson
3) Diarra
4) Sanogo
5) Newton
6) Hawkins
7) Alleyne
8) Joey C
9) Karaban

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Hurley will not do anything about Jackson..He is in love with certain guys and allows them to do what they want. Jackson is at the top of the list. How many technicals do you have to get for dumb reasons before the coach says ENOUGH!? How many lazy or dumb plays?

Let’s at this on the flip side - who’s not starting that can help us obtain the consistency we need at this position.

Many here are saying this is anti-Jackson, rather look at it like who do we need to play that will give us the best chance to win the game.

I believe Jackson needs to earn his starting position and the amount of minutes he is playing not be anointed the starter.

The lazy plays and lack of control his emotions in the game, stand out - just don’t see players with these issues - even on other teams - doing things like this.

For record, what I am suggesting should HELP Jackson get to then level he needs to play at the next level.

Pine time not always a bad thing.

Reaction Score

Let’s at this on the flip side - who’s not starting that can help us obtain the consistency we need at this position.

Many here are saying this is anti-Jackson, rather look at it like who do we need to play that will give us the best chance to win the game.

I believe Jackson needs to earn his starting position and the amount of minutes he is playing not be anointed the starter.

The lazy plays and lack of control his emotions in the game, stand out - just don’t see players with these issues - even on other teams - doing things like this.

For record, what I am suggesting should HELP Jackson get to then level he needs to play at the next level.

PSA: Continually calling these players "lazy" and "dumb" is the absolute worst. And if you can't notice that "accountability" can be accomplished through more than just benching and yelling at players, you just need to go back to sleep.

What an absolute trainwreck of a thread.

Reaction Score
PSA: Continually calling these players "lazy" and "dumb" is the absolute worst. And if you can't notice that "accountability" can be accomplished through more than just benching and yelling at players, you just need to go back to sleep.

I’ve said none of these so not so sure why you would quote my post unless you are trying to conflate the issue.

Reaction Score
I’m just shocked we were able to go more than 24 hours before this post got locked

Reaction Score
I think Andre needs a sports psychologist. I think his struggles on offense have caused him to freak out, and now he can’t concentrate on defense. Looking back at close games we’ve lost over the past 3 years … Andre has not played well at the end of close games, even before this slump. I used to think he was just tired because Hurley played him so many minutes, but now I think he panics in the close games. He is only a college student and D1 basketball is a lot of pressure. Working with someone on how to manage emotions, and ups and downs of a game would really help him.

Reaction Score
I think Andre needs a sports psychologist. I think his struggles on offense have caused him to freak out, and now he can’t concentrate on defense. Looking back at close games we’ve lost over the past 3 years … Andre has not played well at the end of close games, even before this slump. I used to think he was just tired because Hurley played him so many minutes, but now I think he panics in the close games. He is only a college student and D1 basketball is a lot of pressure. Working with someone on how to manage emotions, and ups and downs of a game would really help him.

And when you think about it, what the heck was Hurley doing giving this guy the label of team captain? I mean, if he really has a problem putting it all together psychologically, that is.

Reaction Score
I’ve said none of these so not so sure why you would quote my post unless you are trying to conflate the issue.

You're somehow joking, right????

Lazy plays is not the same as calling someone lazy. That would be personal attack.

Dumb? Can you quote me on where I said that?

Your post bringing thread down

If you say someone is making "lazy plays", you are implying that person is lazy. It's that simple. Don't try to move the goalposts.

Reaction Score
And when you think about it, what the heck was Hurley doing giving this guy the label of team captain? I mean, if he really has a problem putting it all together psychologically, that is.
If you can't see Andre is one of the leaders of this team I don't know what to tell you. If you've listened to him talk once since last April until now it's obvious why he was named a captain

Reaction Score
I stated after the Xavier game, that by Xavier leaving him completely open by having his man play 20 feet away from him f u c k e d with his head. It's causing him to want to "show his opponents" that he can hit his 3s so badly it's messing up his 3 point shooting and his defense. He is still rebounding well, though.

Hurley might want to utilize AJax in a similar way Marquette utilizes Iguadaro. I think AJax could contribute greatly going forward if he is utilized in this way. He just needs to see 1-2 shots go in and I think he will recover mentally as well. I think an unnoticed positive impact he has made this entire year are his off the ball screens to free up the 3 point shooters such as Hawk, Karaban, Newton, and Calcaterra (early in the season).

Reaction Score
If you can't see Andre is one of the leaders of this team I don't know what to tell you. If you've listened to him talk once since last April until now it's obvious why he was named a captain
If he doesn't have it all together enough where he likely requires a sports psychologist to help him handle how teams are goading him into shooting the ball, then yeah, it's fair to question his leadership abilities, or you know, Hurley for not recognizing the problem.

To be honest, the kid lacks focus. You can see it when what should be an absolute asset to the team, his ball-hawking defensive capabilities, go by the wayside when he gets caught looking in the wrong direction. Fix that, and you'll get a better shooter, too.

Reaction Score
Jackson is the most overrated player I can ever remember. He isn’t a good shooter. He isn’t a great defender, he relies on physical attributes rather than skill and proper technique. He fouls far too often. Teams have never covered him at the 3 point line. And he has never been willing to shoot. His form looks like a 5th grader hoping he can reach the backboard. It is just beyond me we’re the great player stuff comes from. Last I looked highlight reel dunks were worth 2 points. Hurley will never do it but it is time to move him to the bench and bring in somebody else. Let him come off the bench in certain situations and not when we need a scorer.

Reaction Score
If he doesn't have it all together enough where he likely requires a sports psychologist to help him handle how teams are goading him into shooting the ball, then yeah, it's fair to question his leadership abilities, or you know, Hurley for not recognizing the problem.

To be honest, the kid lacks focus. You can see it when what should be an absolute asset to the team, his ball-hawking defensive capabilities, go by the wayside when he gets caught looking in the wrong direction. Fix that, and you'll get a better shooter, too.
Jesus this board is the worst. Yes, Dan Hurley shouldn't have named him captain because one message board poster says he needs to go see a sports psychologist

Reaction Score
this board is the worst. Yes, Dan Hurley shouldn't have named him captain because one message board poster says he needs to go see a sports psychologist
For the record, I am fine with AJ being the captain but I also agree that captains are supposed to set an example. There’s a level of responsibility in how you handle yourself on and off the court. AJ is a fine student and supports his teammates. But the T’s and stuff, as captain you’ve got to set the example.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

So shut up and introduce us to 50 better coaches. You're wasting our time.

Jackson is the most overrated player I can ever remember. He isn’t a good shooter. He isn’t a great defender, he relies on physical attributes rather than skill and proper technique. He fouls far too often. Teams have never covered him at the 3 point line. And he has never been willing to shoot. His form looks like a 5th grader hoping he can reach the backboard. It is just beyond me we’re the great player stuff comes from. Last I looked highlight reel dunks were worth 2 points. Hurley will never do it but it is time to move him to the bench and bring in somebody else. Let him come off the bench in certain situations and not when we need a scorer.

What's next from you? A new direction in empty palaver that never materializes, maybe something like, "There'll 50 better guys in the Transfer Portal in a couple months."

Are there 50 better malcontents posting on Division 1 college basketball message boards?

You keep showing up late and junk-posting over and over and over.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Sometimes coaches don't believe in discipline as a method of motivating players. That's pretty much a cultural thing in this country at large say in education. I used to have an office adjacent to early school children and they used to sing a song every day which had the refrain "I am special, I am special." Self restraint (for the benefit of order) was discouraged and feel good (ego building) was the most important virtue.

I have seen the following slogan on a girls club's two story banners:
"We're smart"
"We're strong"
"We're bold"

I agree that demeaning an individual person's character and being is always wrong. What can be criticized is obvious performances which are against the expected standard (which should be repeatedly narrated). In the latter instance yelling and benching is fine because it sends a clear message to the individual (a member of a team) and the team that there are consequences to not following standards which have been clearly communicated for this very reason (this is what we need to do or not do for the sake of the team and winning).

Sometimes coaches have issues that go way back and have "internal vows" (I'm never going to be that way when I grow up). In this case the coach (or teacher) needs to resolve their own issues or they continue react to and play "old tapes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom