If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no such thing as an easy shot for Jackson; even the infrequent drives to the hoop often produce bricks. The opponents are virtually goading him to shoot. Great effort, all over the floor, but too many bad passes and the technicals are adding up. He seems like such a coachable kid…..I don’t get it.
He doesn't attempt any 3's, although he can hit the shot. When he drives to the hoop he doesn't finish, doesn't have a floater or pull up jumper. I'm sure he's worked on these shots, but right now he has no confidence in his shooting.

Reaction Score
Just being better at stopping his man on defense would be a help. IMO he is always looking for the block but he winds up lunging or overcommiting and then is off-balance so that he can't stop the drive. The sloppy passes are easier to correct than the shooting. Being able to drive and take contact -like Newton- but still get off an accurate shot, now that would be nice.

Reaction Score
Listen to the final 7 minutes of the Top Dogs podcast and you'll understand why he's been in a slump since the Xavier game on 12/31. They were the first team all year that played the same defense we saw at times last year. Give him 10 feet of space and dare him to try to score. Defenses are basically telling him that he sucks so bad that a wide open Jackson shot is better for them than a contested shot from Hawkins/Newton/Sanogo etc.

It's gotta be pretty damaging mentally to have that happen to you. Hurley needs to figure out ways to not put Jackson in those positions. Any time Jackson is camping out on the 3 point line it is a win for the defense. Put him in the paint and let him use his athleticism to grab rebounds. It's not that hard to make that simple change...

Reaction Score
It's pretty funny seeing all this talk about Andre holding back our offense and needing to bench him so we can have a good offense. We've had a really good offense all year, it's the defense that's the issue, and benching Jackson just makes it even worse

Reaction Score
If it was a trash Jackson thread, no one would be talking about how “Calhoun could do better with him”

Try and keep up. Maybe read the initial post.
Guess you didn't detect my sarcasm.....

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Andre's emotions are out of control. He is being disrespected. Defenses are sagging off, inviting him to shoot at will. Players aren't respecting his drives to the hoop looking for the far too often dump off. The passes he expects to make are no longer available. On 50% of the floor he is a detriment to the team. Consequently he chirps more and harder and appears to be getting more and more out of control. This is definitely the time for a coach to be there for him. If there is no change in his behavior the blame falls to the adults charged with guiding him.

Reaction Score
It's pretty funny seeing all this talk about Andre holding back our offense and needing to bench him so we can have a good offense. We've had a really good offense all year, it's the defense that's the issue, and benching Jackson just makes it even worse
Agreed. We scored 90 points tonight and 55 points in the second half of the Xavier game. Offense isn't the problem, its the defensive end we need to clean up.

Reaction Score
Agreed. We scored 90 points tonight and 55 points in the second half of the Xavier game. Offense isn't the problem, its the defensive end we need to clean up.

I think many in this thread not considering the impact of his turnovers and careless plays On contributing to points for the other team.

And the missed shorts? Well those turn into points on the other end, folks.

Last night when he made that ridiculous charge, we were only up by 7-9 could have really turned the tide against us.

His play should not be looked at in a vacuum and say we need his defense IMO.

We need to scrore more points and turn the ball over less.

Reaction Score
The technical was bogus..the offensive foul came right after Hurley got on him for not attacking the rim when they sag so far and the “wild” floaters look great when they drop. Just saying.

I’m all for losing the No look passes though…
Refs seem to be always looking to give a double technical which in many cases are BS

Reaction Score
I think many in this thread not considering the impact of his turnovers and careless plays On contributing to points for the other team.

Last night when he made that ridiculous charge, we were only up by 7-9 could have really turned the tide against us.

We absolutely are, and Andre Jackson leads to team in assist to turnover ratio. He's averaging 4.4 assists and 1.8 turnovers a game, that's really good for someone who has the ball in his hands as much as he does

Reaction Score
Coaches like JC or Knight could never thrive in today's game. Sorry gettin in a kid's face doesn't work today. Not a knock on JC.....today's game doesn't lend itself to in your face tough love coaches.

Reaction Score
This

Reaction Score
Coaches like JC or Knight could never thrive in today's game. Sorry gettin in a kid's face doesn't work today. Not a knock on JC.....today's game doesn't lend itself to in your face tough love coaches.
Not a knock on you but can you preface your statement with “I think or I find”. It’s clearly your personal opinion, not the fact but yet you speak it like one.

The GOAT beat the cancer, and you were saying He NEVER thrive in todays game like a forgone conclusion. The audacity!

Christ, the legend coached almost half a century and he adapted it like chameleon. He did not lose a single step and have a record to show for it. Just watch what he did for St. Joseph. Is that modern enough for you?

Reaction Score
In the flow, he cannot shoot the ball. This is a damn shame because it’s due to his poor shooting technique, which should have been fixed years ago. Normally I would say wait until April, but he might as well start now. Imagine Andre with Hawk’s stroke, or Joey’s, or Newton’s, etc. Have him room with those guys and talk shooting 24x7.

This is going to cost him money. Any insiders know if he refuses to overhaul his stroke or is it something else?
He doesn't even need a shooting stroke like Hawk or Joey. If he had Sanogo's touch from 3 or even just the average intramural basketball players shot that would make him a threat and force people to respect him. Defenders are sagging 10 feet back that should be a one dribble pull up jumper like you are in warmups. His lack of any offensive game just clogs things up for us.

Reaction Score
Listen to the final 7 minutes of the Top Dogs podcast and you'll understand why he's been in a slump since the Xavier game on 12/31. They were the first team all year that played the same defense we saw at times last year. Give him 10 feet of space and dare him to try to score. Defenses are basically telling him that he sucks so bad that a wide open Jackson shot is better for them than a contested shot from Hawkins/Newton/Sanogo etc.

It's gotta be pretty damaging mentally to have that happen to you. Hurley needs to figure out ways to not put Jackson in those positions. Any time Jackson is camping out on the 3 point line it is a win for the defense. Put him in the paint and let him use his athleticism to grab rebounds. It's not that hard to make that simple change...

You would think? It’s still beyond me why Andre did not realize this. Why cannot he be dribble drive , then either kick out to shooters for open 3 or attack the rim for a dunk or layup? Is he not confident with his dribble or afraid of contacts?

Reaction Score
In the flow, he cannot shoot the ball. This is a damn shame because it’s due to his poor shooting technique, which should have been fixed years ago. Normally I would say wait until April, but he might as well start now. Imagine Andre with Hawk’s stroke, or Joey’s, or Newton’s, etc. Have him room with those guys and talk shooting 24x7.

This is going to cost him money. Any insiders know if he refuses to overhaul his stroke or is it something else?
It looks like an old style Bob Cousy set shot.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The lack of confidence has led to his whole game slumping. Earlier in the season, he was offensive rebounding, getting alley oops and playing better. DH has in the past run offense early to get Sanogo going, Hawkins going, even Newton. Time for him to help Jackson with what he does well and get his confidence back.

Reaction Score
Jackson would run through a wall for Hurley. That's 95% of the battle right there. He also bleeds uconn blue from his quotes and comments. It seems Newton and Jackson on the floor together doesn't equate to our best guard lineup on offense. Endless energy, he could be a great spark plug 6th man. A switch up to zone defense where his athleticism truly creates problems. Run stopper. He likes creativity and him on the floor with Clingan gives him a big target.

Reaction Score
He doesn't attempt any 3's, although he can hit the shot. When he drives to the hoop he doesn't finish, doesn't have a floater or pull up jumper. I'm sure he's worked on these shots, but right now he has no confidence in his shooting.
You have "last game short term memory". How many 3's were in his 1-7 start to the Xavier game? I believe that cost us the big hole we got in the 1st half. He should have stopped shooting 3's after the 2nd miss as it was clear he was way off. If Hawk got some of those shoots (and Jackson took the responsibility to find him, who knows what the outcome would have been. I realize they are leaving him open but they were not end of clock shots, so he had time to run the set longer.

Reaction Score

I think you’re not considering the impact of the other things he does well. For every point you made as to what is negatives, we could identify things that his defense, ability to
Push, etc provides to the team.

One thing I’ve learned through the BY is that this is about 99% armchair QB’s & 1% who really have a in depth knowledge of basketball. (I also am in the 99% category) I just rely on the opinion of the “experts” and the analytics guys. s/o to @aburks41 for this in the other thread. Regardless of a lot of opinions, Andre should not be our scapegoat
1675268911276.png

Reaction Score
The lack of confidence has led to his whole game slumping. Earlier in the season, he was offensive rebounding, getting alley oops and playing better. DH has in the past run offense early to get Sanogo going, Hawkins going, even Newton. Time for him to help Jackson with what he does well and get his confidence back.
I think you are right. His confidence is definitely down with his offense and it effecting his entire game.

I just don't know what DH can call to get him going. Where is Andre a threat with the ball besides on a lob pass (see the first play of the Nova game last year) Hawkins you can draw up plays to have him coming off screens. Sanogo you can run some action to get a mismatch or a clear out on the block. I just don't know what you would call for Andre where you feel confident. I don't mean this to be harsh I think he can score by cutting and moving off the ball. I just don't know what DH can call that would help build confidence he just needs to start making open shots imo.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Jackson and Johnson are good reminders that offensively speaking, thin and ultra athletic high ceiling/low floor guys usually end up a lot closer to their floor.

I want more Karabans and Jaylin Stewarts, less “freaks”

Jackson is still a good player in a rut. He’s never going to be a good scorer, but he can pass and defend. They need to surround him with shooters and scorers and it’s hard at times with this year’s backcourt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom