If Jackson Played for Calhoun… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Jackson Played for Calhoun…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calhoun had the mindset to chew out his favorite players for not playing up to their full potential when he knew how great that player could be. Andre Jackson would have been been one of those players.
Yup, he would demand it.

Right now, Jackson looks like a kid that knows he won’t be benched doing whatever he wants. It‘s not helping him develop, nor the team.

Reaction Score
Jackson hasn’t been good for awhile now - even on defense, which is surprising. And it’s not lack of effort. There’s no doubt the kid plays hard. My best guess is that his shooting difficulties have taken a toll on him and that he’s allowing that to bring down the rest of his game.

Ultimately, he needs to stop always trying to make the home run play. He needs to play smarter basketball.

You’re right that Calhoun would’ve laid into him for his recent play. But some kids don’t react well to that type of coaching - and I suspect Andre might be one of those.

Here’s hoping he figures it out. He’s a great kid and we’re all rooting for him.
I think one of the announcers commented, how Andre’s frustration on offense, has lead to him not playing well on defense. Basically teams are given him the Draymond Green treatment and he is so frustrated that he can’t do anything about it and he forces bad shots and bad passes. He needs to accept a role this year has a defensive player, rebounder, passer, energy guy and work all off season on his shot. Maybe next year he can be a more complete player. But for now, he needs to accept his limitations or sit on the bench. On offense I’d love to see him focus on offensive boards. He is so athletic it seems like he could change the game with 4 or 5 offensive boards a game.

Reaction Score
Add this to the list of idiotic threads that continue to beat a dead horse. There’s tons of threads discussing Dre’s shortcomings, tons of ones discussing Hurleys areas of perceived growth, and tons about how great Calhoun was. Thank god we had someone profound enough to merge these all into 1 to start yet another thread.

Dre works hard. He is who he is at this stage in time. I’m sure Dan told him to go into the gym & work on lateral quickness & imaginary defense, versus shooting, driving, etc. some of these shortcomings aren’t from a lack of trying, nor a lack of the coaching staff caring. They just are what they are. Fwiw, as much as ppl on this board complain about Dre, there’s lots of math nerds/advanced analytics that support him being a super impactful player.

Reaction Score
AJ would have pine splinters all over his rear end from getting sat down so many times but he would be developing into a much better player. He is regressing quite a bit and it’s a shame seeing such a freakishly gifted athlete go to waste. He pressing so hard to compensate for a lack of BB skill development.

Reaction Score
AJ really is an enigma.

So much athleticism, plays hard, maybe goes for the big play too much, but shows flashes of talent (like his lead pass to AS for a first half layup or the rebounds he gets coming from out of nowhere).

BUT, his stats are actually down year over year from 2022:
2 pt % from 42.6 to 36.3;
3 pt % from 36.1 to 29.1;
FT % from 71.4 to 69.6;
RB's from 6.8 to 6.0;
Assists are up, and TO's down (except for tonight)

It's hard to understand the poorer shooting stats after he spent many hours working on his shot last summer and has better shooters on the team that draw attention from the defense.

As far as DPOY status, I didn't see it tonight or in other recent games. His man scored DePaul's first ten points, partly due to AJ floating around near other players and being too far off his man. Maybe he believes he can be in two places at once, but that was a lot of scoring to give up in 3 or 4 minutes. Who has he shut down of late?

Is it a case of lost focus, not being disciplined enough to cover his man for a full thirty seconds, or poor technique?

Since he was such an important recruit, loves UConn and plays so hard, DH may be cutting him more slack than he'd give to the average player but something has to change if this team is to maximize its potential.

Maybe the floppy hair's affecting his ability to focus on the rim?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What does hold him accountable be? You want him to scream at Jackson? Is that supposed to make him player better?
Sit him on the bench until he figures it out, I’m sure he’s making the same mistakes at practice. It’s called discipline/ punishment for making the same boneheaded mistakes for 3 years and still not knowing how to shoot. It’s been a long 3 years. The St. John’s players that can’t shoot 3’s made layup after layup and helped them win easily against us. What exactly does Jackson do well that’s helping the team win games. He’s like a laughing stock the way they all play off of him. Every single team plays him the same way. It’s a joke that only our coach hasn’t gotten yet. Maybe someone should tell him cause he sure isn’t getting it. The whole world knows that Jackson can’t shoot. Calhoun would’ve never played him. Especially seeing as he doesn’t seem to be improving. JMHO

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as an easy shot for Jackson; even the infrequent drives to the hoop often produce bricks. The opponents are virtually goading him to shoot. Great effort, all over the floor, but too many bad passes and the technicals are adding up. He seems like such a coachable kid…..I don’t get it.
Earlier in the season Jackson was nailing those 3 pointers. Lately he has definitely lost his shot and any semblance of ball control he had earlier in the season, and other teams obviously know this. I think right now he needs some confidence building, and that’s on the coaching staff, as well as hours in the gym shooting baskets and practicing making shots up around the rim.

Reaction Score
Would love to see Calhoun out on the court during a timeout in AJs face lighting him up. I think we would be a better team with him as the 6th man. His lack of offense and the defenses ability to play off him and clog the middle negates his hustle plays and highlight dunk that he makes every 5th game.

It’s time for more minutes for the lineup of Newton Hawkins Karaban Johnson Sanogo or Newton Hawkins Karaban Sanogo and Clingan.

Reaction Score
Add this to the list of idiotic threads that continue to beat a dead horse. There’s tons of threads discussing Dre’s shortcomings, tons of ones discussing Hurleys areas of perceived growth, and tons about how great Calhoun was. Thank god we had someone profound enough to merge these all into 1 to start yet another thread.

Dre works hard. He is who he is at this stage in time. I’m sure Dan told him to go into the gym & work on lateral quickness & imaginary defense, versus shooting, driving, etc. some of these shortcomings aren’t from a lack of trying, nor a lack of the coaching staff caring. They just are what they are. Fwiw, as much as ppl on this board complain about Dre, there’s lots of math nerds/advanced analytics that support him being a super impactful player.

He’s not a positive impact in our games for the last few games that’s for sure. You can find all the math nerds you want they can’t find a way to show us he’s playing good basketball as of late. Lack of attention to good possessions is irritating and watching teams not even think of guarding him is frustrating. His defense is nothing compared to what it should be, gets beat off the dribble way too often.

This isn’t the same guy who basically did it all early year when he came back. Needs to get back to basic, hard nosed basketball without cutting the mustard. Dan can help him by yanking him when he veers in the wrong direction.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why don’t we merge all these threads into a “Calhoun Coaching - If” mega thread. They’re pointless. It won’t take up space.

Reaction Score
He may be the worst shooter on the team as of right now.

In the flow, he cannot shoot the ball. This is a damn shame because it’s due to his poor shooting technique, which should have been fixed years ago. Normally I would say wait until April, but he might as well start now. Imagine Andre with Hawk’s stroke, or Joey’s, or Newton’s, etc. Have him room with those guys and talk shooting 24x7.

This is going to cost him money. Any insiders know if he refuses to overhaul his stroke or is it something else?

Reaction Score
Yeah, let's bench our DPOY finalist. Good idea...

Pfff.

Kid plays hard. The tech was BS and the offensive foul was a terrible call. He's the captain and he plays with fire. Sign me up.
As for the tech, why was the tech BS? How do you know what was said? Something nobody has mentioned is that it was his 5th foul. Come on man you can’t foul out on a tech. Control your emotions a little. He must have quite a reputation with the refs.
And it was absolutely a charge.

Reaction Score
Andre averaged 31.5 minutes a game in December. 27.4 in January. 26 last night. He got pulled pretty quickly, but Alleyne picked up 2 fouls in 2 minutes so he had to come back in. Less than 30 minutes in 3 straight games, which is the first time that’s happened since PK85

The leash is getting tighter

Reaction Score
Calhoun had the mindset to chew out his favorite players for not playing up to their full potential when he knew how great that player could be. Andre Jackson would have been been one of those players.
Calhoun ever chew out Ray? Emeka? Caron? Rudy? Kemba? Andre? Rip? I have watched or gone to every game since like forever and he never chewed out his best players - at least not during a game.

Reaction Score
Great point, Daz. You said it Better that I, and again, I think this falls squarely into Hurley’s basket. Almost 2 MM a year, figure it out Dan!
DH took a paycut?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that JC would have tanked AJ off the court immediately after some careless/reckless/thoughtless play at least once (with the idea being that would help prevent further plays like the one that led to his sitting). I also would wager heavily that JC would have chewed him out on the court (immediately after calling a TO) at least once.

Andre needs to recognize when he's about to get out of control and reign it in. He needs to play within himself and within the structure of what we are doing (on both ends).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom