If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Edsall gets fired, who's on short list of potential HC?

C

Chief00

Absolutely no shot even if he is fired. I don’t think people understand how pathetic are coach salary pool is compared to others.
His recruiting base is FL and that doesn’t tie well with the Big 10. He would be great at USF.

Reaction Score
What I find the perpetual “can’t do” folks amusing, as if UConn has managed to be too good academically to attract players, but not quite good enough to attract higher academically qualified types, can’t recruit because of location but m have high level facilities in a good location, yet can’t ever compete with school sheet holes like U of Buff, or schools on the middle of nowhere. It’s just such nonsense. It’s engrained loser mentality. UConn can do as good as any other school with half an effort.

Reaction Score
What I find the perpetual “can’t do” folks amusing, as if UConn has managed to be too good academically to attract players, but not quite good enough to attract higher academically qualified types, can’t recruit because of location but m have high level facilities in a good location, yet can’t ever compete with school sheet holes like U of Buff, or schools on the middle of nowhere. It’s just such nonsense. It’s engrained loser mentality. UConn can do as good as any other school with half an effort.

As sad as makes me to say this, Storrs right now is "the middle of nowhere" for good academically qualified FB prospects.

Reaction Score
He is not a cure-all but here is one name. Jason Tyler Candle -- is currently the head football coach at the University of Toledo. Doesn't mean that Randy should be fired -- but if an opening occurs, he is an option.

Reaction Score
Why is he old and ready to retire or get fired?
It's time for him to make a move. If he can turn UConn -- or another bottom dweller like Rice -- around, then he could go P5.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
He is not a cure-all but here is one name. Jason Tyler Candle -- is currently the head football coach at the University of Toledo. Doesn't mean that Randy should be fired -- but if an opening occurs, he is an option.

If I’m the head coach at Toledo I don’t leave that gig for this one...

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Notre Dame lowered standards as have a number of other schools. I am not saying go JUCO only types, but take the pressure of of the coaches in who they can recruit and who they can't.

Reaction Score
I think Randy is part of the problem - reminds me of how Woody Hayes couldn’t adjust to the passing game changes at the time.
Susan is thankfully gone now as is Larry McHugh , who influenced hiring.
The conference is an issue but scheduling could mitigate it.
If we don’t have people who can’t get the job done they need to be let go and bring in people who can apply fresh thinking.

Schedule? What schedule? UConn has no schedule.

You are completely missing the point. Randy Edsall was hired to be the problem. The Administration made a strategic decision to sacrifice football for the sake of the basketball brand. Having made that strategic decision, the Administration reached the quite obvious corollary that the most logical football future is no football at all. That is what is going on. The pieces are being arranged to shut the program down with as little angst as possible. It's like a real-life NCAA version of the movie Major League.

Why would any coach stick his head into that noose?

Reaction Score
Schedule? What schedule? UConn has no schedule.

You are completely missing the point. Randy Edsall was hired to be the problem. The Administration made a strategic decision to sacrifice football for the sake of the basketball brand. Having made that strategic decision, the Administration reached the quite obvious corollary that the most logical football future is no football at all. That is what is going on. The pieces are being arranged to shut the program down with as little angst as possible. It's like a real-life NCAA version of the movie Major League.

Why would any coach stick his head into that noose?
I fear the biggest con/screw job ever is well underway. The silence, the lack of activity tells you bad sheet is happening. If they do it, Im totally done. Couldn’t careless what happens to BB at that point.

Reaction Score
If I’m the head coach at Toledo I don’t leave that gig for this one...
It was also unlikely Rhett Lashlee was going to leave his old post to come to UConn. But he did. Even though he stayed for only a short time, he did come here. It provides an example that sometimes people just take something for a short period of time and try it out. Maybe, a promising head coach would come to Storrs for three years. Then, head out.

Reaction Score
With the relationship bennidct has with lashlee I say you try to bring him back as HC for 1.5 to 2 mill somehow. He wants to be a HC I can see him comin back if it’s his show

Would have to pony up a lot more than that to lure Lashlee back to UCONN. Didn’t seem very engaged while here and he will get a ton more appealing offers.

Reaction Score
Think FCS head coach or division 2. That’s where UCONN needs to be looking.

Find a coach who isn’t stuck in the 1960s, with very good organizational management skills, and make them clearly spell out their vision for the program including recruiting philosophy.

And once again, i have zero faith Benedict will do any of this.

Reaction Score
It was also unlikely Rhett Lashlee was going to leave his old post to come to UConn. But he did. Even though he stayed for only a short time, he did come here. It provides an example that sometimes people just take something for a short period of time and try it out. Maybe, a promising head coach would come to Storrs for three years. Then, head out.

Lashlee was on the outs at Auburn (and of course the offensive credit was all going to Malzahn anyways). UConn was a paycheck, he left at the first opportunity, heading back south to a similar type of institution with a raise and a more compatible head coach. Not to mention, at that point in time, UConn was much more attractive, new coach, solid conference, and without the baggage of a two-year FBS losing streak.

In this environment no FBS coach with options is considering a jump to UConn. At best it's lateral, but the money, conference situation and frankly the talent level offers little-no upside for a coach already in a FBS school, unless they, like Lashlee, are on the outs and need a paycheck.

If you want promising/up and coming you're going to need to go down a level to find a coach who would find UConn as an opportunity, or a mid-major coordinator looking to add Head Coach to their resume (P5 coordinators are making similar money to what UConn offers and have a better spring-board for better head coaching opportunities and can/will be more selective). Beyond the talent deficit, the conference situation, the pay, and the constant turnover have made UConn one of the worst head-coaching jobs in FBS.

Reaction Score
Lashlee was on the outs at Auburn (and of course the offensive credit was all going to Malzahn anyways). UConn was a paycheck, he left at the first opportunity, heading back south to a similar type of institution with a raise and a more compatible head coach. Not to mention, at that point in time, UConn was much more attractive, new coach, solid conference, and without the baggage of a two-year FBS losing streak.

In this environment no FBS coach with options is considering a jump to UConn. At best it's lateral, but the money, conference situation and frankly the talent level offers little-no upside for a coach already in a FBS school, unless they, like Lashlee, are on the outs and need a paycheck.

If you want promising/up and coming you're going to need to go down a level to find a coach who would find UConn as an opportunity, or a mid-major coordinator looking to add Head Coach to their resume (P5 coordinators are making similar money to what UConn offers and have a better spring-board for better head coaching opportunities and can/will be more selective). Beyond the talent deficit, the conference situation, the pay, and the constant turnover have made UConn one of the worst head-coaching jobs in FBS.
What about Rob Ambrose at Townson. He is former OC for UConn.

Reaction Score
Think FCS head coach or division 2. That’s where UCONN needs to be looking.

Find a coach who isn’t stuck in the 1960s, with very good organizational management skills, and make them clearly spell out their vision for the program including recruiting philosophy.

And once again, i have zero faith Benedict will do any of this.

Briles is still out there and he’ll come here cheaper than an FCS or D2 coach

Reaction Score
Briles is still out there and he’ll come here cheaper than an FCS or D2 coach

Briles, like Jim Tressel, is not an option for any team. And when he is, he won’t consider UCONN.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. You offer a competitive salary to all of your coaches. You hire a HC that would instantly add credibility to your program. And recruits will come, the stadium would fill up, TV would want us, etc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I would say high school or some lower division college coach so off the radar as to not have better options in the MAC or as a coordinator at a P5 program.

Think Joe Moorehead while he was at Columbia or Fordam or wherever the heck he was before Penn State made him their OC. We can't attract someone with that good a resume.

Reaction Score
Would have to pony up a lot more than that to lure Lashlee back to UCONN. Didn’t seem very engaged while here and he will get a ton more appealing offers.
First time head coach who has a known dream of coaching... might have a chance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom